How far is too far to drive for a job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoebottom, Jul 11, 2011.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 11, 2011

I have been asked to interview for a school that is a hour and half from my house. Is that crazy? I would have to drive it because I would not move this year. My husband's job is close to our home as is daycare for our daughter. I really don't think that I will get anything else. Schools here start the first week in August. I was looking into moving out of state( this state starts the last full week in August), but maybe I should go with this interview and see. I am a first year teacher and could use the year of experince (it would be for high school Biology). I could always move next year after I get my license for that state. I also have a phone interview in the other state, but after talking with the licensure department I might not even be able to teach that grade level/subject in that state. My mind is running 90 to nothing.... so confused.

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 11, 2011

Only you can decide how far is too far for you. For me an hour and a half would be too far. Though I did a two hour commute via train/subway for my first job out of college (not teaching), but I didn't have children then.

Drive to the interview and see how it feels.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

Funny, I was about to pose the same question. I've just read three different threads where people considered turning down job interviews or offers because of the commute.

Most people I know commute to work in NYC. For the majority of them, that's 45 minutes on the train, another 15 or 20 on subway, plus the time getting to the train station in the first place and time getting from the subway to their office. And those are the times when there's not a snowstorm or a strike.

My mom, my dad, and three of my sisters all did that for a time in their lives. So to me, the idea of balking at an hour's commute is just so foreign. I work with a number of people who commute over an hour each way to my school.

In your part of the country, the snowstorms are not a real issue.

I say you go for the interview and see what you think. Give it your best shot. Good luck!

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

If it were me, I would at least go on the interview. You might end up loving the school and finding out that the commute isn't as bad as you think. On the other hand, if you don't get the job, you won't be wondering "what if" later. You will know for a fact that you did everything you could.

Just my :2cents:

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 11, 2011

You should definitely go to the interview and see what it's like. I know for me that anything much more than an hour would be too much.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

I think there's a big difference between riding a train or subway for an hour and a half one way and driving for an hour and a half one way. When you're driving, you can't read or nap or grade or space out....You have to be an active and attentive driver. It can be very draining in a way that riding the subway is not. It can also be very expensive and cause a lot of wear and tear on your car.

For me, anything more than an hour would be difficult, although I would do it if it meant having a job. Go on the interview, do your best, and see what happens. Maybe you can work out a carpool or something. Good luck to you!

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011

Some of it will depend upon your car and the route to work. I use my short commute time (20 minutes door-to-door, no freeway) to relax and unwind. I love my car and find it very soothing to sit in it and listen to the radio. I don't get good enough gas mileage for a much longer commute and adding in a crowded freeway would add stress to the experience.

Don't forget to include the "extra time" in your commute. Schools often require staff meetings and attendance at events. I find it's hard to leave school right at the bell. (Even if I leave right at the bell, it takes me 15 minutes to pack up and get to my car.)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

Our friend Mike teaches in NYC and drives a good 90 minutes.

Our friend Kathy teaches elsewhere in NYC and drives at least an hour (and might I add, no the infamous Belt Parkway. I have NEVER been on that road-- 2 am, 1 pm, weekday, Sunday when it wasn't backed up with construction.)

John drives at least an hour to my school, as do Paul and Clarke. And Lisa and Ally.

Student teaching for me was at least an hour, into a public NYC high school.

My point is that, while it's not right for everyone, it works well for a lot of people.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

Many of the people in my town commute to Toronto each day--if they drive, it can take well over an hour, if there aren't any problems with weather or accidents. Commutes of an hour don't cause anyone to even bat an eye (although, I would have a hard time because my current commute is about 7 minutes!).

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2011

I had an hour+ commute (longer in heavier traffic coming home). I didn't mind it at all in the mornings. I drank orange juice and listened to books on tape, so I always arrived at work in a good mood.

If I find a job for next year, I'm going to have that or longer, which scares me, because I now have physical limitations that make driving painful. But I'm not going to have much choice.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 11, 2011

Before deciding, I would factor in the cost of gas and wear and tear on your car. I would also think about when you would have to leave in the mornings and if you would be able to get to daycare to pick on time. Is your husband available to do daycare drop/off and pick up? Are you okay with not having direct contact with your child's teachers if you are not as involved in drop/off and pickup? (I ask those b/c my commute was shortened this year from 30 + min. to 15 min., but it means my daughter's daycare duties will now be mostly up to my husband as daycare will now be much closer to his work. Since I am used to picking up pretty much daily, it was something to think about.) Commuting can get old, but if it's worth the experience, I say go for it.

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 11, 2011

Personally, I would not do it, but that is just me. I am limiting my applications to within 35 min. I know it may mean I have to wait longer for a job, but i am okay with that. I am just not one of those people who can get on the road and handle freeway driving at 6 or 7 a.m. And I want to maximize time with my family. I always stay at school at least a half-hour after dismissal. Used to be longer but now that I have a family, I know realistically I am going to want to leave as soon as possible. If I then had to add 1 1/2 hours onto that half hour, that means getting home 2 hours after school ends. That's time I could have spent with my family, time getting dinner prepped, etc.

But this is me. I have been a SAHM for 8 years and getting back in is quite an adjustment. So I'm kind of taking it slow and easy as far as what I will put up with. I would ask yourself how you feel about spending so much time on the road, the cost of gas, the wear and tear on your car, etc. It is really a personal decision.

14. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

I would take a drive to the school even before the interview and see what it feels like. I was considering a job at a school about that distance from where I live and decided it was crazy because an hour and a half drive in Iowa during the winter could end up being three hours or more. If you don't have to worry about that, it might be more reasonable.

15. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 11, 2011

I live in a rural area, so I am used to driving a bit to get everywhere. With that said, I don't know that I would want to drive more than an hour everyday to get to and from school. If I were able to take a train/subway, I'd probably consider it because I'd be able to do other things.

I actually enjoy a 20-45 minute drive. It gives me time in the morning to go through my day in my head and have a bit of quiet time before school. When I was student teaching, I'd go over my lessons practicing what I was going to say in the car before I got to school - especially on evaluation days! :) It was nice to have the time to decompress before getting home too. As long as I pass a place to stop for coffee, I'm good. ;)

16. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 11, 2011

I do not have to worry about snow and I would not be on a freeway just a 2 lane highway. The interview will be tomorrow so I will not be able to drive there and see before then. I really just think that having this year of experince will help me next year when I am trying to move to another state and finding a job there. Just so much to think about.

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2011

For me, it depends on how much I like my job. When I really didn't like my job last semester, it made the 45 minute drive seem really long. In Idaho I chose a longer drive when there was a school literally right around the corner from me-because I liked my job so much. I know in this economy you don't always have a choice though. I probably wouldn't want to drive longer than an hour. I had a professor in college who drove two hours each way!

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2011

I'm one of these (apparently!) people who could never handle a commute that far. For the last few 6 years I have lived within walking distance of my school and my new school is 2 miles from home with very little traffic. I have never applied to far away schools because I know how much I would dislike the commute. The most I have ever driven to work is about 20 minutes and I hated it.
    There are many days when school activities will necessitate staying after school for meetings, activities, and conferences, etc. Add that to a 90 minute commute and you are talking about a twelve hour day easy. Can you physically and mentally handle a family in addition to all that?
    More power (or sympathy) to those with the long commutes. You have to do what you have to do.

19. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

I've been doing about a 15 minute drive. At my new school, I'll be doing about a 45 minute drive, all freeway, but no traffic. I would have a hard time commuting a distance in traffic.

I'm planning on using the time to brush on my Spanish :)

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 11, 2011

Except 1x where I drove 45-50 min away for a temporary job, I don't normally apply for jobs that are more than 35 min away.

21. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jul 11, 2011

I hated my hour-long commute, so I moved! So an hour and a half would have driven me insane. Now I live 10 minutes away from my school. For me, it was stressful, annoying, and a time-waster. I have had some colleagues, however, who like or at least don't mind a long commute. They say it helps them decompress before they get home. I'd rather decompress on my couch!

I lasted two years though, so if your job is for one year you could probably manage it for one year knowing when the end will be even if you don't like the commute. On the other hand, you might be one of those people who doesn't mind it or even likes it!

22. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

I expect to drive at least 45 minutes for a teaching job. I'd be willing to do an hour and 15 minutes... but as others have said, bad winter weather can really double your commute time. You can always move after the first year..

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 12, 2011

I would do it temporarily, but I don't have my own kids yet - I guess that might make the decision more difficult. I also live in an area of the country with no weather to speak of (maybe a few days of rain a year), so that's not a factor, either.

My mom (a teacher) has been commuting an hour each way for 4 years now. She's finally moving to the town her school is in, and she couldn't be happier. That commute really does cost a fortune in gas (and she has a very fuel-efficient car), and it causes a lot of wear and tear on the car. It also causes a lot of 12 hour work days. Temporarily, though, I think it would be ok. She doesn't regret it - she just is tired of it, which is why she's moving closer!

Anyway, all that said, I would do it for a time, but only if I knew it was a temporary situation.

I actually like a little bit of a drive - I had a 5 minute commute for a job last summer and I hated it! As long as I don't have to deal with bad traffic, I enjoy driving at least 20 minutes or so - as others have said, it gives me time to process.

24. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 12, 2011

Thanks for the replies, but after talking with my husband I have decided to cancel my interview. After rechecking the distance I used the wrong address and the drive would have been 1 hour and 55 min one way. I just got a new car and I really don't want to run the warranty out in 10 months. I will now only focus on applying in the state that we what to move to. I hate being confused and really lost. Another plus is that I truly would have been lost being the only Biology teacher in the school. We are not willing to move there because we are truly wanting to move out of state so if I don't get a job closer to where we will live now, I will be waiting till next year.

25. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

I agree that in your shoes I would make the drive to the interview. If possible, drive to or from during approx. the same time you would be driving to or from when you get the job so you'll have an idea of what the traffic would be like. I know that where I live the commute in an area is VERY different around rush hour than it is at other times in the day.

I was able to move to the job I accepted 2 hours away (more like an hour and 45 min.) but there were a few days I made the commute from my mom's to the job for various reasons. Was it doable? Yes. Was it something I would be willing to do every day? Probably not. The roads I would need to take are very windy, next to a river (heavy fog in the AM) and wooded so it's common to see deer on the roads. If my hours were traditional, and I didn't have staff meetings when I had to arrive by 7:45 a.m. or evening meetings and conferences to attend, I think my answer would be different. However, I know that my answer would be very different if it meant that my commute would limit me from seeing my children for 3 hours a day versus maybe 1 hour.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it all depends on your attitude and situation. I hope we've provided a few more things for you to consider.

26. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 12, 2011

Sounds like you made a good choice for you. 2 hours one way is an extremely long commute--it would take one heck of a job to get me to drive that long!

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

That's 2 hours in good weather and traffic! Since you want to move out of state, I think you made a good decision.

28. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 12, 2011

I would give it a try by going to the interview and seeing how it feels. An hour and a half can take its toll on the body especially if you have to come home, prepare meals, and get your child ready for bed.

29. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 12, 2011

I have no advice can only share my experience: glad you made the choice:

Last year I was in a part time job. I looked and looked and the only job offer I got for a full time position was 72 miles from my house each way. I am seeking to clear my credential and need 2 years of full time employment.

I love my job -- but the commute wears on you! I decided not to work summer school so I can take a break!

I thought about the car and every thing. I live in southern california. I spent atleast 3 1/2 hours in the car every day. I drive a ford focus and spent about $125.00 a week in gas.

By the way I am a single mother so child care is another $460 dollars a month. I spent probably another $2500 is car repairs -- and $300 in oil changes for ten months.

Do I regret doing it? No. Looking back my vision is 20/20 if I knew what I know now I would have turned it down in a heart beat ---

with that being said I am doing the drive one more year --
    The only reason why I am doing it is that -- my credential will be clear --- weather I have a job or not --- I will be looking for any job closer to home.

30. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

I was called for an interview at a charter school that is one hour from where I live. I turned it down because of that.

If this were not a teaching job, but a job where I could set the job down and not take it home with me, I would have considered it. But with teaching, I knew I will often be bringing it home. With the time I would be spending at home grading papers, etc., I just couldn't see have an automatic 10 hours a week factored into that.

I have a nine year old and a four year old and I think it would just have taken too much of my family time away. As badly as I want to teacher again, I also don't want to burn out.

Just wanted to add that I did not apply specifically for this job knowing it was an hour away. They pulled my application from an application pool used by many districts in the area.