How far is a resonable commute?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JoanPD, Aug 22, 2016.

1. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

I just graduated college in May, and due to other things that went on this summer I haven't had as much time to job hunt as I would have liked to. I have put my interest in to a few schools so far. There are two towns in this state that have very similar names, one is the next town over, the other is over 70miles away, so about a 2 hr commute. I misread the name of the town and clicked on the farther one that I was interested, I got a call back from the principle, the call started with him making sure I was aware of which town it was, and than saying he would be interested in meeting me to discuss the position.

My certification is in general science, grades 7-12. This position would be a long term substitute position. Is a two hour commute (3 in the afternoon) reasonable? I keep going over if the pros and cons if I should at least interview or not, and after every time I think about it, I change my opinion.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 22, 2016

I commuted one hour and ten minutes each way. I was at a school with great leaders and programs so I felt it was worth it to spend so time time on the road. Plus, I worked there before I moved to live with my new husband.

I wouldn't do more than that. A five hour commute is dangerous. You'll be exhausted and could possibly fall asleep while driving. Is there anyway you could move closer or get housing for at least four nights a week?

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 22, 2016

:yeahthat:

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2016

Answering solely the title: it depends on the person.

With that said, 2 hrs / 3 hrs is going to wear on you unbelievably, and I'd suggest against it wholeheartedly. In a 24 hour day, if you were able to spend exactly 8 hours at school, and slept 8 hours, with your commute, that would leave you 3 hours to get ready in the morning and have dinner in the evening...and that's assuming you didn't need to spend more time at school or sleep more. That's a significant cost for gas and wear-and-tear, too, so factor that in to how much you'd actually earn.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2016

Any chance you could relocate for the year?

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2016

Ugh! If you could take public transportation, it probably wouldn't be so bad, but EWW! I'll be doing a 40 minute commute to sub in the neighboring district and even that's a push for me. 2 HOURS? NO F'ING WAY! Yikes.

8. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Aug 23, 2016

I do a 3 and a half hour commute right now on most days round trip. I will say that it has greatly impacted my quality of life (and ability to even HAVE a life), and is the bane of my existence. Keep in mind this is also a very densely populated area, so it's a stressful commute in stop and go traffic.

I would never wish my commute length on my worst enemy. It is wearing on me after only two years.

9. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 23, 2016

For the last 3 years my husband has done a similar commute. (40 miles but takes about 2 hours in traffic) It costs a ton of money in gas and tolls. On parent night or other days he has to stay late it's not uncommon for him to get home at midnight and have to leave again 6 am the next morning. It's has put stress on our marriage and affected our quality of life to the point that he took a new job with a pay cut just to be closer to home. So long story short, that's too far to commute.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 23, 2016

If you can't relocate (family commitments, lease, mortgage), then I would say yes, too far. I drive an hour in the morning, and 1.5 hours most afternoons, and I have been known to truly need to pull over and take a nap before proceeding. Now imagine that my school is actually only 30 miles away, but it is all back roads, so I must stay sharp - no cruise control. IF you could leave Monday morning and return Friday night, different ball game. Would the salary be enough to rent a room within a short drive of your school? If so, spending four nights away from home is practiced by many employees. You say this is a LTS job - how long, pay, chance that it could become permanent? All of these are factors to consider. Obviously, if it became a permanent job you would seriously need to find a way to move, and I have no idea if that is a possibility (single, married, children?) In NJ, many people commute into NYC from where I live (almost PA), but many carpool, take a bus, take the train - all things to make the commute someone else's responsibility, or providing communication that makes the time seem less. It is still a lot of time in transit.

When I started my current job and figured out the commute, I bought a new, small, energy efficient car. I had been driving an older car that used almost double the amount of gas. NOT having to fill up so frequently really makes my wallet happy. Hubby originally thought I was crazy, but has since come on board that it truly made sense. Of course, I had set aside money from the previous job so that there was no loan involved. Only time I ever was that organized, but I was glad, for once, that I got my act together. ;)

gkis likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2016

Right now my commute is 20 minutes of driving and a 50 minute train ride. I thought it would be easy, but the time suck has taken a toll. Sure, I can work, eat, read, drink, etc on the train. However my current job is very much a "you need to be there" affair. So I'm getting a very early train in the morning a catching a very late one at the end of the day.

I'll be very glad in a month when escrow closes on the house we bought, and I'm 15 minutes from each of my schools.

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 23, 2016

Last year I did an hour and 15 min commute via public transportation both ways that was coming from always having a roughly 45 min commute for 6 years. I was so over it I moved closer and now my commute is around 30-40mins. I felt my quality of life improve greatly. Also better area to live in.

So if you're trying to get some experience on your resume I'd go for it since it's a LTS position and only for a little while. Otherwise if it had long term perm potential and you couldn't move closer I'd say no.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2016

If you absolutely need the job for financial reasons, then take it but weigh out the price of gas and wear and tear on your car. If you can live without the income for now, keep job hunting in your area. We have a few new teachers who don't own cars and have to take public transit an hour and a half each way and they are so unhappy with the amount of time it takes away from their day.

14. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 24, 2016

Unless the commute is public transportation, I would never consider a 2+ hour commute each way. It would be dangerous because many times you would be driving tired. At least on public transportation there is the option to get some things done while you are commuting.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 24, 2016

Have you considered renting a room close to the location and staying there M-TH nights and being home on the weekend?

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 24, 2016

I commute an hour each way, and like a previous poster said, it has become the bane of my existence. It eats up 2 hours of my day. However, since this is your first job, I'd encourage you to relocate closer for the year. It's only a year and will save you 5 hours of your day, plus gas costs and wear & tear on your vehicle.

If I could do it all over again, I would have moved closer to my job right from the start.

17. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 24, 2016

For a LTS position, I would not do that type of commute. My husband has an hour and a half commute each way, and it has seriously impacted our quality of life. We can't move closer, and he is supposed to eventually be able to work from home. We deal with the commute because it's a fantastic job that he can't get in our town,

18. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Aug 24, 2016

Honestly, I have a 30 minute commute for a job I'm not in love with and that seems a bit much (I'm sure it would be better if I liked my school more). The previous year I had an hour commute with no traffic and I HATED it. It took a lot of gas and I had to take my car in for stuff much more often.

In the first district I lived in, it could take a while if I got stuck in traffic but the total milage was MUCH less so it didn't impact my car as much (gas, oil, etc). It was also nice because I could be much more involved. It was fine to stay after for non-required events, I could go to kids' after school activities if invited, I did more things with co-workers. I felt much more a part of the community. Now I'm gone and I don't go back to school once I leave.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2016

Being in the car for 20-25 hours per week does not sound like a great time to me. That's basically a part-time job for which you're not getting paid.

WindyCityGal606, bella84 and vickilyn like this.
  20. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Aug 24, 2016

For my 1st 3 years, I had a 25 mile commute (30-40 min avg time) each way teaching middle school math (6th - 8th). Then I was non-renewed so I looked for anything reasonable. My current job is now at a high school (9th - 12th grade upper level math). Although the commute has increased to 67 miles each way, I took it because 1.) it was my only offer and 2.) it will give me experience with high school teaching. So, in the end, I'm considering this year as a resume and experience builder for my future.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 24, 2016

2 hours commute one way is way too long. If you are a LTS and only make about $100-$150 a day, as many do, I'd say it's definitely not worth it. If you are paid full teacher salary, it's still not worth it if you have family (spouse, kids) because you will have absolutely no time for them. Even if you're single without a family, you won't have any time to relax and recharge and take care of things like buy groceries, do house work. It would be work, work, work. And if the job turns out to be just a bit stressful, you're done.
    I'd do up to one hour, but that's the most, on a full teacher salary. Currently I drive 6 minutes to school one way, the past 3 years it was 10 minutes one way. In San Diego as a sub and LTS I drove 35-45 minutes, and although I could feel the toll of the 45 min. drive, I was ok. But we also carpooled a lot.