How far in advance do you make lesson plans

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cby1224, May 5, 2014.

1. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 5, 2014

I am a career change and wanted to get ahead this summer in my lesson planning. What is a realistic amount that I can plan ahead. I will be teaching high school chemistry if that matters.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 5, 2014

I'm elementary, so it is a bit different. I tend to plan a week in advance. When I was departmentalized, I found it easier to roughly plan the whole subtopic, which would put me on average 2-3 weeks ahead. If there was a large project, maybe a little more.

Schedules change, kids have a difficult time grasping concepts, and kids grasp them quickly. Each class can be different.
    I don't plan over summer. A quick guide- I will AIM to teach A, B, and C in first quarter, etc... is a bit more realistic.

If you decide to write unit plans, I suggest doing more of a Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 type plan and understand that it can, and will, change.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 5, 2014

I make monthly calendars in the summer for all months. I don't necessarily stick to them and they're not super detailed, but I do include things like February 12-review ch. 2-3 of Night. Quiz. Blog. Pretty simple.

5. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 5, 2014

So my idea of two weeks of of plans, a good start on PowerPoints and my list of labs should be a good/realistic start.

I am trying to make my to do list and prioritize it so lesson plans will be on the list, just not at the top.

I will have a ton of work to do if everything works out and I am hired. The lab needs tons of work, a pacing guide needs to be completed by the end of the first semester so I would like to be ahead as much as is realistically possible.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2014

I also plan about a week out.

Over the summer I map out my year, and decide when I'm going to teach what. I find it more practical to plan activities to use, but not necessarily say, "On October 2nd I'm going to do this lesson." For example, I will come up with activities and lesson for teaching verbs, so that when I get to the verb unit I can just pick and choose.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 5, 2014

I have a skeleton map about 6 weeks out. This basically just has topics to be studied for a given week.

Actual activities and lesson plans are day to day. I don't finalize what we are doing tomorrow until I see how they do with the activities of today.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 5, 2014

I have the whole year planned out with tests and learning targets. I have lists of resources for each set of learning targets, and then I get copies by unit. That's about six weeks.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 5, 2014

Do you already have a job? If so, check with your district about pacing guides. The districts around me have to have a pacing guide per subject and teachers are supposed to stick to it pretty closely.

My skeleton lesson plans are based upon my pacing guide. I don't fill in specifics until a few days out.

10. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 5, 2014

That is a great idea Ima. If I have enough time, I would love to have the entire semester of Chem planned out by the learning targets/standards. I have some friends who teach Chem in surrounding counties that have told me I am welcome to their plans/resources if I need them.
    In July, when we attend the common core training (at the high school where one of friends work) she is going to give me list of her plans, labs and resources that I can pull from if needed. I will probably take her up on these to make my own.

11. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

May 5, 2014

I look at the topics/units of study I need to include in my year and try to plan them out -including assignments and labs. Makes it easier to make adjustments during the year when you need to.

12. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 5, 2014

Unless something falls through yes, I do have a job. I know anything can happen so it isn't 100% until something is signed, but it does look as though the job is mine.

The pacing guide is not complete and this is the only county high school. The director of schools has told me that I would be completing it next year. When I talked with the teacher who was working on it previously, she said very little was completed do to lots of snow days.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 5, 2014

I write plans for the week each Sunday with the help of my buddy Sam Adams. I adjust as needed, but I'm usually able to keep pretty closely to them.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 5, 2014

I do detailed plans for the next day on my prep. I have to hand in a year plan that outlines what I'll do every month, but even that is rough. We're not getting to one unit in ELA this year because we're having so much fun in our current unit. I would only rough sketch over the summer. Once you meet your kids and get a feel for how things are run you can do more detailed plans.

15. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

May 5, 2014

I teach chemistry too- also physical science. I tried to plan ahead last summer (it's my first year) but I found that it didn't really help. I think for next year I'm going to plan some good activities or anchors for each major unit instead. I'll definitely be focused on what I can do to help my students learn some of the topics they find difficult this year. I planned for two to three weeks ahead over the summer and never really used any of them because things change so quickly.

I did make a good template with drop-down menus for the standards and dates, etc, and I just fill in the plan each night once I know how far we got, where they need extra help, etc. Maybe in the future I could plan farther out, but I always have way too much planned and I have to carry a bit along each day.

I hope it whatever you choose to do works out well :) Good luck!

16. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 5, 2014

I'm usually at least six weeks ahead but I try to have the whole semester. That doesn't mean I have all the plans actually done - just have them planned on calendar. Once I started doing this I honestly started sleeping better.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 5, 2014

During the summer I map out which units I want to teach when and how long I want to spend on them. This often changes.

I usually stay a week ahead on my detailed lesson, but on tough weeks I might be planning the night prior.