How far do you drive (and are you willing to drive) for work?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Em_Catz, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jun 25, 2014

20 minutes each way. Not too bad! :)

2. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

4 1/2 miles each way...10-12 minutes. I would probably drive up to 45 minutes, if needed.

3. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

20 minutes each way. I like the down time and also have my 11 year old who attends school in the district. He does his homework in the car!

4. live

live Companion

Jun 26, 2014

Last year it took me 25 minutes to drive 7 miles to work. I didn't hate the commute because of how long I was in the car...I hated it because of how slowww traffic moved!

This year, I live about 15 minutes away from my school. It's mostly highway with no traffic, so that's nice and quick. I think I'd be willing to commute further if it meant I wouldn't have to be in "teacher mode" so much...I swear, my students are all over the place here.

I'd be willing to travel up to an hour for the right job, depending on where I'd want to live.

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 27, 2014

Round trip 46 miles of beautiful forest, little traffic, and Sirius radio!

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 27, 2014

I teach on three different campuses, often all on one day. It's a half hour to the one in the north, and almost an hour to the one in the south, and about eight minutes to the one near my home. I don't mind the drives, but on the days when I drive north and then drive south, it's a long one.

7. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

My drive is about 15 minutes. I live in the suburbs and work right in the middle of down town. The only reason why it's so fast is that I happen to live right near the south of a business route and my school happens to be at the very end of that route down town, for some reason there is never much traffic going north into downtown at 7:15 when I leave for work. Get there at 7:30 which gives me enough time to turn on my promethean, and take out any materials, the kids come to class from breakfast at 7:50.

8. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jul 1, 2014

My drive is 30 minutes. I really don't mind it except in the winter and when it gets dark early. I leave the house around 6:30 and get to school around 7:00. I don't want to teach where I live and all the other school districts around would be the same amount of time to drive to, so I've accustomed myself to it.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 1, 2014

My commute is 20 miles one way. With traffic it is about 45 minutes, sometimes it can be a little over an hour. In the morning if I leave just a little earlier, it can be 30 minutes. When I leave at night after an event it can be as little as 20 minutes.

I took the job because there was nothing closer to me. I keep doing it because I love my school.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2014

We found a new place to rent that's only 13 minutes from my new school! We're still waiting to get approved, but I'm really excited that I'll have almost an hour extra at home every day!

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2014

I'm trading my 90 miles in to about 4, I think. I still haven't decided exactly where I will live, but I have over 20 affordable rental options all within 12 miles/15 minutes.

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 1, 2014

:woot:

That's GREAT giraffe! I'm so happy to hear that you are in a position where you won't have to drive so far. I feel like commute time is a major factor in my job satisfaction.

I used to work a job in college that was a 40 minute commute each way (longer if there was traffic). I loved the job, but I ended up quitting after a few months because half my meager paycheck was going toward gas. It was also stressful because there were days when I might be running a little behind or there was traffic and I'd be screwed because it was so far away.

Since my current position is only a 10 minute drive away, I haven't been late once in 4 years regardless of bad weather, oversleeping, traffic, etc:thumb:

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2014

I'm used to driving, but I will welcome some gas savings :)
    While commuting, I had to fill up around 10 times per month. If I drove solely to work and back, I'd be able to go 4-5 months :lol: Assuming I choose the closest rental option, which is likely since they give teachers a pretty big discount.

Even during the couple of months that I had an apartment, I still went through a tank a week. So I will save close to $200 a month just in reduced gas costs alone!

14. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 1, 2014

I lived 15 minutes from the school I worked at last year. I'll now be driving 45 minutes to work.

15. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 2, 2014

I'm not willing to drive more than 30 minutes. I think that would just make me miserable. I would certainly apply for and take a further job, but I'd move. I'm keeping myself in a position where I am able to move until I find a job that I think I can and would like to keep long term. Eventually, I'd like to find something relatively close to my family. Right now, I'm very flexible. No plans to settle down anytime soon! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.