How far do we need to go?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jem, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

I have a student is not turning work in. I have notified his parents. We fill assignment sheets out at the end of the day-he does not fill his out completely, so I either check that it's done and initial it, or e-mail his mother the list of assignments if we are in a rush. I also enter grades online so his parents can see what is missing.

The child does not complete his work in class because he is daydreaming, talking, or bored. I prod and re-direct, but it does not work too well.

This child is smart, and I feel I'm giving quite a bit of help here. Am I really responsable for much more? I have 17 kids, which is nothing compared to some classes, I know. But do I physically have to make sure all his work is stacked at the end of the day, or should that be on him? He's in third grade-half way through the year. At what point is the child responsible? The child gives me blank stares when I try to tell him how important doing the work is. He doesn't seem to get it. He bounces between two households during the week, some nights at mom's, some nights at dad's. I understand I'm the glue here, but seriously. I'm burned out and not in the mood to take responsability for a student who doesn't seem to care much.

I guess this is more of a vent than a question. I really, really need a break.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 19, 2008

In my opinion by 3rd grade it is the child's job. I would call a conference with Mom, Dad, and kiddo, and make a chart with all assignments, and what has not been done with big ZERO beside it. Then lay it out - you don't do the work, you don't pass 3rd grade with your friends. (You could include all the other kids' and what they have turned in, but don't use the names.)

That is what I would do. I might also make a checklist to tape on his desk so he has a prompt each day. Let him check off what he has done a.m. and p.m. If he hasn't got the checks, he can't leave the room! Sometimes, the visual will really help these kinds of kids, and it takes the burden off of you! As I told one of my little guys this morning "I am really tired. It makes me very tired to have to do all my thinking for myself, plus all the thinking for you. Do you think you could do your own thinking today and let me have a rest? Do what you know you are supposed to do?"

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

bonne, that is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you.

I checked him out of his assignment sheet-of course it wasn't filled in when I went over. I stood by his desk while he stacked everything. I babysat the other kids while they claimed they were cleaning the floor next to their desks, but really weren't. I held two kids to clean after the rest went to PE because they were doing who knows what while I was helping this kid stack his work.

I'm tired. Really, really tired. Really tired of babysitting third graders. But they are still babies, I know. But that doesn't make me any less tired.

5. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Nov 19, 2008

I totally agree with the previous post! I too feel like I am constantly reminding my 3rd graders to get out their homework to do. We have a chart every week that they fill out, so they know what their homework is on Monday for the whole week. Not difficult to understand!! They still ask me or tell their parents that they don't have any idea what the homework is!! It is very frustrating!! I feel your pain!!

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2008

Ditto! I think it's the 3rd graders nation wide this year! Last year, my kids were much more independent than this! I'm tired too. But it's not from my kids, it's from my peers. I need a vacation from teachers.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 19, 2008

My friend who teaches third grade had them all bring in a homework notebook - a small notebook to write down the assignments each day with the date. No write-y no go home-y. Parents have to initial each night. It can be a pain but it helps.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 19, 2008

We have that, only it's a packet that I copy from an assignment book I picked up. They need to copy what I write on the overhead into their assignment packet, get a signature and turn it in on Friday. We're starting the 'turning it in' part so I can pull it out and use it for their responsibility grade.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I felt a bit like I was whining, but honestly. I told my dh, it's like if he had to make sure 17 people on his work floor were doing their work everyday, all day, and if they chose to not do their work, he would be yelled at by their parents AND his boss. Hello? I know, it's not exactly the same, but seriously. How big is our job? I'm getting over whelmed and my energy/passion/motivation is almost gone.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 19, 2008

I have 5th graders and I make them show me which workbooks or handouts they are taking home with them before I sign their assignment books. It has helped a lot. If they come up to me to get a signature and I don't see the correct books that will go in the backpack, I tell them to go get what they need, then come back.

10. luvcrayons

luvcrayons Rookie

Nov 19, 2008

In my third grade class, the parents and students were told "third grade is the year of responsiblity". "All students are responsible for their actions, behavior and belongings. I am a third grade teacher NOT a babysitter, and I am not their mother." My students and parents know and understand the rules and the consequences. If they don't turn something in it's not my responsibility to turn it in, if they leave school without a coat it's not my responsibilty. I have had less than five zeros and not one student has left a coat, lunchbox or anything else. I make one anouncement and then it's up to them.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 20, 2008

I am having the same problems with some of my 5th graders. I sign assignement books. I have checked backpacks. I have had kids stay after school to clean out their desks. I have spoken with parents and offered suggestions. No matter what I do or say, there are about 4 kids in my class of 17 that refuse to turn in their work. I don't know what happens at home, but I do hear what the kids say to their friends. It seems as if the kids have completely buffaloed some of their folks. Some things you just can't control.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2008

This is probably why he's in your type of school. In a regular public school he would need either an IEP/504 to require the teacher to check his homework planner daily and stack up his supplies or an extremely organized teacher (I'm not even sure organized is the word as I think this is somewhat enabling the kid to not take responsibility...) Sure 9 years old is a little young to 'suck it up' and take responsibility if there is no accountability at home...Make him face the 'music' at school-- loss of privileges, having to do the hw during recess or centers...document, document...make sure you notate on report cards that he does not complete his homework...

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 1, 2008

You know, there are just some of us who have to learn the hard way (I was one of them!). Keep very close watch and good records, zero for homework not turned in, send home the mid-quarter report with an F on it, and see what happens. Pretty much, in my opinion, this is a good time for them to learn what happens if you don't do your work. If they get enough F's their parents should snap to. Otherwise, they will repeat the grade. Which I do not believe in, but it is probably time to draw a line and hold them to it, and quit doing anything special to support them.

14. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Dec 1, 2008

I have several 2nd graders who do this. I have tried checklists, but they don't seem to be working and it is a lot of work for me. These children are the only ones allowed to take work home to complete and it still does not come back the next day. The other kids have to work in class until Friday, then lose 5 points in order to take home unfinished work. One child was so absolutely refusing to work even though she was capable. The parents requested that she be sent back to 1st and she is doing the same thing with the easier work. I have finally decided to be very strict about the written policy the parents received the first day. The kids have the entire week to complete work including a study hall time. Unfinished work on Friday loses 5 points and is due Monday. If I don't have it Monday, it is a zero. No name is a zero. Period.

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2008

Can you keep him after school? A few weeks of watching his friends get on the bus and having his parents annoyed about having to pick him up might help.

I do have a desk off to the side facing the wall for the ADHD monst...child in my room. (He really is a sweetie, just drives me insane.) He goes there to do the work. Still doesn't do much homework though. I'd keep him after school, but he'd like that. He really does love me. Sigh. Hates missing recess though. Not supposed to do that, but it does work. He gets it done fast when play is at stake. He's tried slopping stuff down, but I glance at it to see if he's put effort into.

I feel your pain.