How far are you willing to drive?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lyquidphyre, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

It's getting closer and closer to the start of school- if you don't have a job how far are you willing to drive to get one?

Right now I'm looking at a school that is an hour drive probably (not sure about traffic... so it could be anywhere from 45min- 1h 30min) but it looks like a really nice school, they have science openings and their salary is pretty much the same as all the other districts (it would really suck to drive that far and get paid $6k less than the "norm" or something)

How far are you willing to drive?

3. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

When I was still provisional in Sped, I got a job that was 70 minutes away from home. My plan was to stay there one year to get experience hoping that I would get a job closer. I was there for two years and now for this year I will be less than 30 minutes away. It took a lot of gas and the prices have really risen since I started two years ago. But I gained experience and I had great health insurance so it really was okay. If you want to teach, I'd go for it. You can always look closer in the spring.

4. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

45 min is my limit

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

I am moving from MI to NC (next week), and I will still have a 45 minute drive. The Charlotte area is growing so quickly, that there are no available apartments. Apartments are being leased two or more months in advance!! So, I found an apartment (that I LOVE), but it is quite far away from my new school! Of course, the town I will be teaching in has a population of 650 (My HS graduating class had 560!), so no matter where I found an apartment, I would have at least a 20 minute drive. Just yesterday I found an apartment that is slightly closer (slightly under 30), but it is in a pretty small town, so I will have to drive 20 miles to go shopping or anything... So, I am keeping the 45 minute commute.
    I do find the whole thing pathetic. I have to move 11 hours away and still commute to work! :eek:

I love this smiley: :toofunny: :wub:

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

I will drive an hour, which I did for student teaching. I have a friend that drives 1hr 45 mins every single day and he is in :wub: with his commute!

I think as long as I have a car that is good on gas, which I do, my 35-40 min commute is fine. Driving was the only way I was going to get a job, my local district tends to hire only graduates.

Be willing to do a drive for a year or two.....it is experience.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

If I were really struggling with finding a job, I'd drive up to about an hour. If I were extremely marketable in a good area with lots of openings, I'd drive no more than about 30 minutes.

I currently drive about 20 minutes each way. It's the perfect amount of time to decompress after a long day at school.

8. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

My official reason for leaving my last job was the drive. It was about 40 minutes. But, with the price of gas, my gas guzzler (I can't afford to buy another...it doesn't make real sense, but that's another story), and the low, low pay of that particular district, it was a way out. The real reason was quite different. Anyway, back to the driving time...

I really thought I'd be able to keep it under 30 minutes, but now it's going to be more like 45. I decided that would be top end. If the job was exceptionally good, paid really, really well, then I'd probably go an hour. But I can't see that happening realistically. I'm happy with what I got :)

Yes, that is a cute smilie!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

Oh, my car is not good on gas! I get a whopping 14 miles to the gallon, which means it will cost me about $6 to drive to and from work every day. But, my current commute is 3 miles, so my gas mileage should imrove. If I get 20 MPG, that's be about $4 a day, which would save me $10 a week.... It adds up!

10. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

This would be my drive (don't worry, I didn't use my real address or anything for all you stalkers out there =oP )

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...101288&sspn=0.790836,1.2854&ie=UTF8&z=10&om=1

Thats 3 main, busy, traffic-filled highways I would have to cross... but maybe early enough in the morning it wouldn't matter too much. I looked at the school website and I think I would take the job in a heartbeat if offered to me. It's just that killer drive!

I will say tho, I found out about another opening that is MUCH closer and sent an email that way. So this week I am waiting to hear back from 3 different schools so its possible I might find something closer

11. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I have two small kids, I was only looking in our town and the next one over. I HATE to commute, and it would make me too grumpy by the time I got home. Luckily, I found a job that is only 5 minutes from our house. This is really good because I am not a morning person, and I have to be there by 7:30.

12. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Now I remember why I don't live there anymore.

13. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Wow, quite a drive! :eek:hmy:

I drove one hour each way for the last school year. It was alright. It gave me "down time/quite time" before getting my own kids. The gas was getting to be a killer though. I took the job to get experience and it worked. This year I'm moving to the school in my own hometown and will commute 5 minutes!

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

just us stalkers, or ex husbands///boyfriends..girlfriends...mad mailclerks!!???::rolleyes:

I hear ya, I got 3 emails...a p.o. box, and 2 phone numbers...do what you gotta do!

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

I never really had a commute before...up until 3-4 years ago. In my first job after returning home, I did. And I hated it! I was used to going to work, doing my job, and going home. I did not like the fact that I had to drive all over Chicago, check on different schools, pick up stuff, drop off stuff, and then go back to the office.

At first, it was cool, because I got a lot of personal stuff done. I got mileage, and justified my trips. I scheduled my own day. If I could, I would email or fax in reports. When the weather got bad, it got worse. I was not used to driving in the snow. Bump and slide is not a dance!!!

The long drive (over an hour), the traffic, construction and usual suspects (see Tailgaters post) didn't get me as much as the people! I didn't drive much in Chicago. I drove more in L.A. There, people are pedestrians..and have to follow rules. No Jaywalking!!! In Chicago, downtown is just a joke...people walk all over the place...and just say forget the signs!

I was not used to people hanging out, standing in the street, talking to people in cars, and walking back in forth, running with their kids. This just drove me nuts! I couldn't take the expressway, because it is all torn up. I don't like sitting in traffic. I would lose my mind if I didn't have my favorite old CDs to mellow me out.

So, the distance wasn't the headache as much as the problems within. I think if I had straight expressway traffic, I could probably do it, as long as I had my short cuts, and they weren't always crowded by folks who found them like me!

16. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Personally, 30 minutes is my max, though I'm sure a job exists that would have me reconsider that. My new job is about a 10 minute commute, all on back roads.

17. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

45 minutes is my limit.

18. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

I drive about 1 hour 15 minutes in the morning (unless there's an accident or something then it's longer). It's about an hour coming home (unless I leave later than 3pm).

I was working at my school before I got married & bought a house (we bought inland because prices were better) & I didn't want to leave my school (I loved it). I moved with my principal to a new district this year and it's about 7 miles closer to my house (woo-hoo) - but I'm not moving schools close to my house because we don't plan on staying way out there forever. So I put up with the commute. It's hardest at the beginning of the school year (this will be my 3rd year driving it) but it gets easier.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2007

what about in bad weather??? I always try to have a plan B, because usually the side streets are not plowed in the winter. Or, if there is a bad storm, that is where the trees have fallen, or streets become flooded. :(

20. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

There are myriad ways to get to school (6, right off the top of my head), all on back roads. If that fails, I hop on the mountain bike and I'm there in 25 minutes...and, yes, I'm quite adept at mountain biking in snow and ice :p

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2007

wow, that's great!

I remember having a stressful, nerve wracking 3 hr (normally 1) drive in a blizzard, and after getting to work, found out that had canceled school! I was so mad ..wish we had cell phones then!

Everyone who stayed home had an excused absence! :mad:

22. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Do you have a family that is connected in your current town? I commuted, tehn after tenure relocated and it became our home town. But I didn't have kids when I took the job!

Anything more than 45 minute commute becomes nerve wracking for me, but no commute has been hard too, I like the AM "prepare for" or PM "decompress" time! For the last 18 years I have be nomore than 10 minutes away, most of the time 1/2 mile. Home and school become one!

Good luck in your choices, I was impressed, in March I got on the 35N at 5 pm from Ft worth and it never was slower than 20 miles an hour, I went to Argyle, and compared to our So cal "rush hours" it wasn't bad!

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2007

nice to meet you grace!

I could not stand to get on the 10 or 210 fwy, and then hear a chopper over my head! I knew that meant there would be traffic up ahead! First exit I saw, I was out of there!! My ex used to jump in the carpool lane, just to get off faster. That is a huge ticket, if you are caught!!

24. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 30, 2007

I'll tell you I have had commutes in traffic before and this past year I moved to a school 3 minutes from my house and it was HEAVEN!!! It is not worth it a bit to be stuck in hot traffic and have hours of your life eaten up sitting on the road with road ragers out there and slow grandpa drivers which I absolutely cringe when I'm behind them! Keep looking in your neck of the woods would be my advice. It is so nice to be off at a reasonable time and get to zip home and still have plenty of time for other things I want to do. :wub:

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2007

look at the whole picture

You've got more options liquid...

You realize that there is more to the job than the salary and fringe benefits.

Now, make a dry run to both places. Consider this will be your new home, because...in essence it is! ;)

Go there at 6 pm, 2am, and saturday. Try to pull up the back way, side streets, find all the stores, gas stations, post offices, etc. near by.

Time yourself for the exact route to both places. Count how many schools are along the way! this is very important. You must know this will substantially impede on your commute! also see if there are local buses that run along the way. This can be a blessing or heartache.....you may be stuck behind them, or you may break down, leave your car and just climb aboard and ride instead! May be cheaper to have a bus pass rather than filling up!

I am particularly interested in going to the site different times of the day. Your peaceful, dreamy school community may be a gang infested drug zone at 6pm! It will be your luck, that you have to stay after school, and walk to your car and see things you wish you had not known about!

There was a homeless man sleeping in his car along my walking route! Just things you want to know!

If your car breaks down, and the building is locked after you leave, can you sit safely in your car and wait for help?? Would you feel more comfortable walking to a busy drug store, and calling for help from your cell phone? Your friends, family or mechanic can always meet you at the store, and then drive you back over to the car.

I know I sound paranoid...but things happen.

Look at the entire neighborhood, not just the drive.

26. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 30, 2007

I think I could handle 45 to an hour as long as it wasn't a traffic nightmare every day. My commute last year was 35 minutes, rarely any traffic (and if there was, another teacher would always notify me so I could figure out another way around.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2007

I think some of it depends on the area where you live too.

On Long Island, a 50 mile commute might take you 50 minutes at 3 pm. But that same commute during rush hour will be 90 minutes easy if it's toward NYC. (Those current and former LI'ers are all saying to themselves... ah, yes. The LIE :) )

During a snowstorm, that same commute might easily take several hours. And some districts (like NYC for example) do NOT give snow days. (Too many day care issues for parents. Besides, the kids mostly take public transportation to school.)

(PS: if I make the lights, my commute is 12 minutes:D )

28. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Thanks for the advice but they filled the position this morning :tired:

I'm still looking, but I think that is the furthest school I've applied to.... and the search continues.....

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2007

It ain't over 'til they ring the first bell!!

Sometimes, people chicken out! And they will go back in their files, and look you up!

You never know!! Wednesday is the 1st! That means only a few weeks left!!! Keep believing. What you want is out there!!! In the meantime, let's get some dessert!!! :)

Chocolate chip cookies for me. You got anything good to munch on?? :cool:

30. obro

obro Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I live out on Long Island in New York and am currently looking for a job in the New York City school system. My commute (trains plus subway) will be about 1 hour 40 minutes each way. I would love to move closer but house prices are still too expensive. I did the same commute while student teaching and used the time to do work or nap.

31. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I've got some Chex Mix to go with those cookies if you want to share =oP

32. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

I'm baking up some brownies!

33. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Y'all are going to make me so fat I'll have to be rolled into the interview!!

Mmmmm, in all seriousness I'm really hungry and the thought of cookies, chex mix and brownies are making my tummy talk.

34. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

I just got back from Starbuck's with a Grande Mocha Frappucino. Yum! At $3.50 or so a pop, I bet I can learn to make one of these myself.

35. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Hahaha I bet you could! The only thing I get at starbucks is the peppermint mocha coffee (extra mint!) but I only did that in the winter before my 9am exams hehe.

Hmm, now I'm trying to figure out what to eat for lunch!

36. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

MMMM if only I had a job, I could afford those frappucinos... I love iced coffee in any form!!

37. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Well, it was a luxury, on a really hot day. I don't do that very often.

Lunch? I stopped and got some nice sweet corn from a local stand. Ummm, ummm, good. When I was growing up in Texas, we used to "fry it, cream it, and eat it."

38. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Iced coffee is THE best. The only thing that I don't like about it is they put so much ice there isn't enough of the cold coffee part.

39. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Really. I hate paying for too much ice.

Taking this opportunity to send you wishes of good luck for your upcoming interviews. :up:

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

that's what I keep telling my daughter! :eek: She is hooked on Starbuck's!!!

She needs a blender!

41. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

Creamed corn

slice fresh corn off cob

place in frying pan
    add water
    sugar :eek: calories and cholesterol!!
    a little flour...like gravy...don't let it get lumpy!!
    stir and simmer
    salt and pepper.

my daughter's favorite. Del Monte ain't got nothing on me!!