How else can I assess their reading level?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissaG, Oct 18, 2006.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Oct 18, 2006

I am not comfortable with using only the Star test to assess reading levels. I would like to start sitting down with my 5th graders individually during their independent reading time to address strengths and weaknesses on a one on one basis. What other tools can I use to see where they are at?

3. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Oct 18, 2006

There are several tests/assessments to administer to students for reading levels and also to identify their strengths and weaknesses. You mentioned STAR but there are also DRA (developmental reading assessment), IRI (independent reading inventory) and other lengthy tests. For fifth graders, I would think the most important things to assess would be their comprehension, fluency, and vocabulary. (By 5th grade the should be able to decode words decently- but if you do have lower readers doing a running record (Marie Clay) will help you determine where they are miscueing and why.) The previous tests mentioned (DRA and IRI) will give you an actual level (number, grade equivalent, etc) but I would test their comprehension with a simply retelling of the passage or a response to their reading. You should be able to pick up on their fluency once they read the passage aloud to you and if they use similar vocabulary in the retelling you will be able to determine their range of vocabulary.

I teach 3rd grade. I have readers from STAR level 1.7 all the way up to 5.7. I always give a STAR test but I also remember that a STAR test is timed, does not give pictures, and is a computer test. These are just a few flaws with that test. I also give the DRA test that includes a running record and a retelling section. I can also hear their fluency while giving the test.

I hope this helps!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 18, 2006

We got rid of STAR this year because it did not match up with student classroom performance. We use RIGBY at my school.

5. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Oct 18, 2006

I suggest you do running records. Make a copy of and record the 1st 100 words from whatever they are reading. See how many mistakes they make or

reading a toz has running records to us.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2006

Ditto running record with miscue analysis.

7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 19, 2006

We use DRAs. They work well and tell a lot about students' comprehension, strategy use, and fluency.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2006

I think that the best way (IMO) to assess a students level is to conference with them and do an informal running record and talk to them about their reading. Especially with 5th grade you can gain so much information about what they think they are doing well and what they think they need work on in reading. YOu can also have discussions about what they are reading during independent reading and drive the questions to suit what you want to find out. I usually mark what we talked about in their reading notebook and give them a goal for independent reading. I ask them to work on this goal then follow up during the next conference. We do DRA's as well but honestly, conferences have been much better...

9. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Oct 20, 2006

Thanks for all of the replies! I am planning to begin conferencing during Independent Reading time. I am definitely worried about time though. I don't know how long I should be giving them during our 90 minute LA block to read independently and have been going with about 15 minutes. Hopefully I can conference with 4 students a day during this time, making it possible for me to sit down with everyone once a week.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2006

I'm sorry, did you say what grade? My reading workshop is a mini lesson (10-15 minutes), discussion or give it a try on carpet (5 minutes) and then 35 or so minutes of independent reading with conferring. I get to 4-5 kids a day to confer aobut book choice/listen to them read/guide and support them. I did recordings of all 18 of my kiddos this week. I'm grade 2.

11. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Oct 20, 2006

I teach 5th and 6th grade, but right now, I am most worried about my 5th graders.

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2006

With 5th or 6th grade, I would say that Independent Reading would be the largest chunk of my reading workshop block. IMO they could probably be reading up to 35 or 40 minutes independently. :)