How Easy is it to Switch Subjects After Hired?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by RealRorschach, Jul 26, 2009.

1. RealRorschach

RealRorschach Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

I think I passed my Social Science CSET, and I would prefer to teach social science.
    But I also enjoy teaching classes like Biology and Earth Science when I subsitute and could probably pass the CSET in each of them.
    My question is, if I got hired as a science teacher next year because it would be easier than getting hired teaching History, then how easy would it be in a year or two to transition into teaching history, or history and science?

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

It should be easier to land that social science position once you are permanent. Most districts have one or two transfer rounds every year before they start filling positions with new hires.

4. RealRorschach

RealRorschach Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Thanks Malcom. I will probably do that. Use science to get a job that I like, and then use history to truly love the job.

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 27, 2009

Once you are in a distict and have some seniority, then it would be easier to get that social science/studies teaching position. Just don't tell them in the interview that switching is your plan. It could cook your goose.

6. RealRorschach

RealRorschach Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

No problem. Im gonna apply next year as a Science/History teacher, with CSET certification in both. If Im lucky the first year I cant each both classes. I didnt plan on telling them I was gonna switch, I figured that would definetly hurt my chances.
    But as long as I can coach one of the schools baseball teams within a few years I will be a very happy man.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

Sometimes at either smaller or larger schools they may need you to teach both. My new principal was very interested in the fact that I will be certified in social studies and English, as well as ESL. It is possible you could end up split between two departments.