How easily do you meet people?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Zeewkay, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Zeewkay

Zeewkay New Member

Jul 19, 2019

I have a problem. It is hard for me to make new acquaintances, look for new friends, even find a girlfriend. For me it is very difficult. Is it possible to learn to meet easily? Which places for this is better to choose?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 19, 2019

I tend to gravitate towards co-workers who look about my age. I don't force interactions, but when they do arise, it's easy to kind of lead into non-work related topics too. That's pretty much how I made all my friends post-college; they're all coworkers or former coworkers! Social media makes it easy too.

As far as a girlfriend goes, I can't help you there.
    I met my husband when we were freshmen in college, so I don't think I'd even know how to meet guys right now. My sister, who recently joined the work force a couple years ago, uses those dating apps. I don't like the idea of meeting strangers, but that's how a lot of people do it nowadays!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 19, 2019

I don’t like people that much, so I don’t think I’ve ever gone looking for friends. :p

Most of my friends are from high school, college, or work.

I met EX through a blind date through my BFF, and I met DH online. Online dating was an experience, but it turned out great.

mrsf70 likes this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 19, 2019

I moved to a new state after college, so I didn't have any old friends around. I met most of my friends here through meetup.com. I like that most of my friends aren't teachers, because when I go out with them I can truly relax and take a break. I find that often when you hang out with coworkers, you inevitably end up talking about work.

6. Gelspon

Gelspon New Member

Jul 22, 2019

I have many friends since childhood, school or college. Now I very rarely make new acquaintances. I just don't need it. Although I recently corresponded with women on dating sites. For example, here https://www.naughtydate.com I still communicate with one woman. It is very interesting and we plan to meet.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 22, 2019

I joined a book club I found on Meetup and I see lots of groups for people to go hiking, dinner, movies, etc. If I was single and not as busy I'd join another group.

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 22, 2019

I don’t feel the need to meet new people, honestly. I am quite happy with the circle of friends I have now (close family members, best friends, pets, friends from high school and college, co-workers, acquaintances, etc). Also, I like the single life and don’t want people to get the wrong idea. I stopped trying to make friends outside my close niche of friends because other people think I’m being flirtatious with them. I don’t get why striking up a conversation with someone = want to go out on a date. It’s stupid.

When I’m not with my family members or friends, I like focusing on me, haha! It’s me-time and I don’t want to have to work around other people when I do what I want and need to do.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2019

I don't meet them that easily at all. I made a few & literally just a few throughout my entire adult life & that was mostly at work, but the friendships never became close and I no longer work for that district anymore, so the friendships eventually fizzled out. Other than that, I sure never make/made any doing fun activities. I've lived a solitary life and an only child on top of it.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2019

My boyfriend and I broke up a few months ago. I am trying to online date but it is tough...I really don't enjoy it! I would still recommend trying to online date.

For friends, I have friends from high school and college in my area which is nice since I grew up & went to school in the area. I also have a few friends from grad school. I find it difficult to make new friends after college though.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 3, 2019

Sorry that your relationship didn’t work out.

I don’t know how you do it, honestly. I count myself luckily that I’ve never had an impetus to engage in romance. It seems like such a hassle to me.

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 3, 2019

I tend to meet people very easily. They are not necessarily the type of people I'd want to be married to though...lol
    I've lived in different cultures and subcultures over the years. It almost makes me seem to be too approachable at times.
    I have a sister who is a psychologist that I travel with often. She lovingly (and jokingly) calls me a "client magnet." Random strangers approach me at airports, gas stations, stores, and just about anywhere else and start talking. It usually doesn't bother me.
    I am kind of old school about relationships. I have heard of many younger people meeting on dating apps, falling in love, and marrying. If it works out for them, I am happy. I just think it is dangerous.
    IMO, you are on the right track looking for places to meet people.
    Find the things you really enjoy. Then go to places where like minded people would be. I love the ocean and snorkeling. Going to beaches, I almost always meet someone new. That at times, can lead me to meeting their spouse or friends. If you love reading, you could spend your spare time in a nice book store. Get to know the staff and when you see someone interesting- looking, you could ask them a question about a book they pick up . Basketball is a popular sport up here. I am not a huge fan, but sometimes go to HS games with a friend and ask questions. There are a lot of divorced moms at those basketball games that would love to meet a nice guy. I wish you the best in your search.

13. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2019

I'll speak to anyone and constantly strike up conversations with strangers. In bars, shop queues, sports games etc. You need to be confident. Look up rather than down, keep your phone in your pocket, smile and be polite. A sense of humour helps too.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 12, 2019

I am not actively looking to make new friends. However, I'm the type of person who tends to sit back and scan the room, quietly observe others, and then decide who I want to engage with based on the vibe I got from watching. I'm cautious about who I interact with.

15. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 12, 2019

I went through a period ( a few yrs) of my life when I used to sit back and a lot observe too. I still make new friends pretty cautiously for many reasons. I just meet people really easily....lol