How Early Do You Return?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 30, 2018.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 2, 2018

We don't go for PD until 8/28. Kids come 9/4. I'm in my classroom right now. :toofunny:

I can't help it. I get antsy around August 1st. Thankfully, they do the floors/cleaning during July when everyone's resting. I'd say at least 4 of my colleagues are here right now, also organizing. Don't get me wrong...if I had to set it all up in 2 days, I could. I just like being pokey and thoughtful. I'm anxious because my principal purchased new desks for my room, but they're not here yet. She promises they'll be in before school! Otherwise, the seating might get real flexible-LOL.

2. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2018

I found out a couple of days ago that my room is going to be remodeled (left over hurricane damage) and it won't be available until a couple of weeks after school starts. So, we will have textbooks and nothing else in a hallway in another building. When we do get back in, the kids are going to unpack and set things up ;)

MrsC likes this.
  3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 2, 2018

Early bird here.
    I have my room done apart from some piddly little finishing touches.
    Mandatory return is Tuesday. It's mostly meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetings.
    The extra vowels represent my enjoyment of them. :)

bella84 likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 3, 2018

We're still in summer school.

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Aug 4, 2018

We don't go back until 9/5 with kids returning on 9/7. 9/5 and 9/6 are largely eaten up by meetings and PD, however, so if we want to spend more than a few hours in our rooms working, we have to come in before that. I usually go in for a 3-4 hours a couple of days at some point. I don't do a ton of decorating but just to make sure things are situated and ready. I've found it just helps me shift to school mode to be in my space. I'll definitely go in for a couple of days this summer, probably in the next couple of weeks, because I was moved to a new classroom so all of my stuff is currently in boxes and I have no idea how I'm going to arrange the furniture in my new space. The last couple of years I shared a room with another teacher and while the space was mostly set up for my kids (I'm self-contained whereas she mostly co-teaches), we intermingled pretty much all of our stuff and supplies so we have to sort some of that stuff out. I have almost an hour commute each way so that definitely helps keep me from going in too often before I have to.

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2018

We go back tomorrow. I have been setting up my room slowly since about two weeks ago. I just come in for a couple of hours when I feel like it. There is always lots of visiting in the hallway and then the meetings galore that last longer than expected. So I would rather do a few things now then stay late those first few days of meetings. I can only handle so much tv and chores around the house. I am kind of ready to get back in the routine of school and start this 12 year party! I am at school right now but I am not sure I am going to stay. New roof being put on and it sounds like they are right above my room right now!!! Oh my goodness it's loud!

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 6, 2018

Oh, if only they could replace the roof above the meeting space tomorrow! We are mandatory to arrive tomorrow. It's meeting time! ;)

8. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 6, 2018

I went in for a few hours today and will go back later this week...I was right about the air conditioner - it's great! But there's a LOT for me to get done, so I will probably stay late next week when classes start. oh well.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 6, 2018

We had our first day today, district meeting, division meeting and site meeting. I'm psyched for this year, we got a new principal and I think he's great. I like his personality, his multicultural and multi-linguistic background (has been to 52 countries), and his overall positive attitude. And experience. I know time will tell, but I have a good feeling about this one.
    A breath of fresh air after last year's negativity and low performing principal. Our whole program got a new start (one more time) and it seems like the whole school got a makeover (staff / expectations / schedules / program/ etc). For example we'll have weekly meetings. I know some people don't like it, but last year we had only about 3-4 meetings lasting 15 minutes, and that was out of the whole year. It's been 3 years that we've had weekly meetings. It's needed.

And I'm super relaxed and happy that I won't have the stress of a classroom teacher, as I'm teaching independent study. I think I'm the happiest one out of all of them lol

10. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 7, 2018

I don't officially go back until the day after Labor Day but this year we only have 1 day before kids come back. Contractually 1/2 day is for setup 1/2 for meetings. No way could a classroom be fully setup within that time. But alas we are always able to start going in the week before to setup. I'll spend a few hours maybe 2-3 days setting up. I'll have a coteacher this year so it should go by a little quicker, as well as some family members help me with setup.