How Eager are You to Try New Foods?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2014

Just curious. Now, I'm not saying we have to eat like Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods to be adventuresome because I wouldn't eat most of the foods he eats, but I'm just wondering.

My BF is THE MOST apprehensive & stubborn person when it comes to trying something he's never had & these are normal foods, not even anything daring whatsoever. He likes good old American food, but likes Italian & Mexican.

It took him years to finally try (non-raw) sushi. Today, he asked me if I've tried bleu cheese dressing. That was my first favorite dressing since I was a child.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2014

I very rarely try new foods. There are many, many common foods I will not try.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

I try to just about anything, unless it's very bizarre.
    For one, I could never eat anything with bugs, but other than that I think I'm good to go.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2014

I don't like to try new foods. I'm happy with the choices that are already available to me.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

Sometimes i'll try new food - but usually in the same category of food I already like, like different kinds of fish.

Sometimes i'll try different cuisines if the restaurant is highly rated i.e. had amazing cajun food last june at a local restaurant, they make the best cajun food in the state of NJ, probably.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

I love caviar. I would have never known that if I don't try it. So far I had Indian, Turkish, Arabic (from many different regions), Persian, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese (I would have never known how much I love pho if I don't try it), Hungarian, German, Mexican (learned 4 ways to make guacamole, from different regions of Mexico), ate at an Argentinean, Peruvian, Cuban and Russian restaurant. I still want to try Ethiopean.

Right now I'm going through a sushi phase, so much that yesterday I made homemade sushi, and will make more today. This phase will probably last a week or so lol.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2014

I also don't like trying new foods.

9. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Apr 27, 2014

I'll try new foods as long as they're things I would immediately recognize as food. Different types of meats (lamb, goat, etc.) or vegetables I'm ok with as well as different types of cuisines. A few years back, SO taught a student from China who brought in jellyfish for some type of cultural day. SO tried it and liked it. I wouldn't be up for that. To me, jellyfish aren't food. They're scary things in the ocean.

My aunt and I usually get together for dinner every few months and our agreement is that we will try a different ethnic restaurant. So far, I've liked it all. And, if I try something I don't like, well, I don't like it. No biggie.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

I try a new fruit or vegetable all the time when I go to the Farmer's Market. Sometimes I have to Google to find out what to do with it. Occasionally it's successful and becomes a new fave! ;)

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2014

What is non-raw sushi?

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

I guess where you don't use raw fish, but maybe tuna fish from a can? lol

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

I am open to trying new things, but within parameters. I don't like many types of fish-none really-so most seafood is out. I will try it, but there is something about it that I just can't do.

NO shellfish, other than lobster, crab, and shrimp. NONE. This is non-negotiable. I don't eat things that look like boogers.

I've traveled a lot recently, and I'm open to new types of food, but I have severe qualms about the safety and sanitizing conditions where food is prepared. So if I'm not sure where it came from, who cooked it and where, and how long it has sat, I won't try it no matter if it is the best food on the planet.

14. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 27, 2014

By non-raw sushi, I assume she means things like smoked salmon, tempura, vegetable, eel, etc.

I'll try pretty much anything.

15. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 27, 2014

Trying new foods is literally my favorite thing to do. Well, it's probably tied with travel. The two go hand-in-hand. I dated a picky eater once and would NEVER do it again. It's a deal-breaker for me.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 27, 2014

I like trying new food. However, I have a few random food allergies (eel, maybe squid, etc.) so I have to be careful. I keep Benadryl with me at all times. I tend to be less adventurous with sea food, but I still love it! Lately, I'm not eating as much beef or pork, so I'm having fun finding other favorites at places I've eaten often.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2014

I'll try pretty much anything (and like most of it!).

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

I'm pretty open to most foods, but picky about meats. I'll try different styles of cooking and experiment with flavors on my own too.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2014

For those who like to try new foods, great!

It's pretty self explanatory...sushi made without anything raw. By the way, I'm not saying you think this, but the hugest misconception people have about sushi is that people automatically think it has raw fish, but not necessarily. There's the California roll, which I'm sure most have heard of. Also, another type called Inari and some others.

I agree. New, exciting foods is one of the pleasures of life. A picky eater isn't exactly a deal break for me, but if he's that picky, he can cook his own food most of the time. :)

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2014

Probably semantics, but in my local restaurants, Calfornia rolls and tempura aren't really considered sushi. Thanks for clearing up what you meant though!:thumb:

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2014

California rolls are on every sushi section of the menu in every Japanese restaurant I've ever been to. No, tempura isn't considered sushi. It's shrimp or veggies fried in a panko breading. It's a type of Japanese dish, just like teriyaki is another type of Japanese dish that's not considered sushi.

22. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 27, 2014

Sushi = cooked vinegared rice combined with other ingredients

Tempura rolls are considered sushi. Obviously regular tempura isn't :lol:.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2014

They aren't listed as sushi at a few of my local restaurants. Tempura are batter dipped and fried in my area, not panko breading. Whatever. You've clarified what you meant by non raw sushi. Thanks again, so much, for clearing up any misconception.:thumb::thanks:

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2014

I'm a pescetarian, so in regards to meet, it's limited to fish. I do like to try different veggies and fruit! :D Hubby and I get a harvest box every other week, which forces us to try out veggies we normally wouldn't even consider. :)

25. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 27, 2014

I will try anything but it can't be spicy. I would love to like spicy food and am missing out on such good food but I can't train myself to handle even mild salsa.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 27, 2014

It depends on what it is whether I'll try it or not.

I only started eating Mexican and Chinese food in the last few years, and I still only like a few things. I had Japanese food for the first time on my last birthday.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2014

That's the last time I try to answer a question! LOL! :lol:

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 28, 2014

I am fairly open minded to trying new things except for seafood (makes me nauseous if I see it/smell it) or something like organ meat (although my grandmother used to eat brains!!). Most "regular" foods I have already tried. I have tried a few different kinds of sushi and as long as I have some wasabi I'm ok and it doesn't seem to bother me like cooked fish. I wouldn't have known unless I tasted it! Also, I tried caviar at a wedding and although it's not something I would want to eat every day I'm glad I attempted it. As a grown adult I know I have the prerogative to try or not to try new foods but I am usually willing to. What's the worst that could happen?? I guess I could gag or spit it out but I would hope I'd be mature enough to politely spit it into a napkin or just chug some water and swallow it fast!

29. physteach

physteach Companion

Apr 28, 2014

I eat everything except meats. And I'm usually even willing to try new meats (but not make a meal of it)

30. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2014

I love to try new foods. Unfortunately, in my new life that is a rare occurrence. My room mate in college was from Syria so I learned about new foods quickly, Then soon after went to Europe. Great experience. Cajun food is my favorite and then Asian.

31. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 28, 2014

I'm cautious when exploring new foods. I'm a Mormon, and people will make foods from where they served their missions around the world, so I've had plenty of chances to try exotic foods, however I have learned caution.
    I smell it, feel it, and ask what's in it before I put it anywhere near my mouth. Sometimes it's the tastiest thing in the world, sometimes I kind of want to vomit.

32. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 28, 2014

You're probably thinking of nigiri or sashimi (the raw part).The term sushi comes from the rice, not the fish. In restaurants, they are both usually listed along side sushi.

33. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 28, 2014

I like trying out new foods, but only if it's at a nice place that has a good reputation. I know hole in the wall's have some of the best food, but i won't venture into some places unless I've read reviews. I guess the most adventurous thing I've eaten is sweetbread. Gag! I didn't like it!

34. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Apr 30, 2014

I don't like trying new food, especially if it has a smell to it or just looks strange. Now, if it looks "safe", I MIGHT give it a try. These foods tend to fall in the category of I've heard of them before, but just have never had them. This would be something like jicama.