How does your school promote reading?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by wdwteach, Jun 28, 2009.

1. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

I am working on a project to further my education this summer. How does your school promote reading? What are the themes or incentives your school uses? My current school does not have a reading schoolwide theme and we need to implement something to get our kids motivated next year. Thanks!!!

3. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 28, 2009

We do several things throughout the year. We have several pj days that are read-ins. Kids can wear PJ's and we have a read in, where at several times during the day, the principal will come on the intercom and say DEAR and we do it. We do this a couple of times a year. We always do this on Halloween, since our county doesn't let kids dress up.

We also have the Principal's Book of the Month--a P or AP will come in during the month and read the book and discuss it with students.

We have the 6 Flags reading program--if the kids read 600 hours within a particular time frame they get a free ticket to 6 flags.

We also have the book it program.

Hope this helps. :)

4. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

Pizza Hut has a decent reading incentive program. We use that along with some in-class incentives, such as a monthly at home reading log, culminating in a big after school activity towards the end of the year.

5. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jun 28, 2009

a.r. store, they buy things using points, umm they did a paper chain around the school, everytime you finished a book you wrote the title , who wrote it and a summary and added your link to the chain

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

This year we joined a local news stations reading program. IF they read so many minutes we have a celebration, inflatable houses, dunking booth for teachers and P, picnic lunch with parents for the whole school. Then 4 bikes were drawn out with a lot of other prizes. It was fun!

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

Our kids are required to read 20 minutes every night starting the second week of school all the way until the last month of school. Each Monday/ Tuesday they have to turn in a sheet that is filled in with what they read and for how long that is signed by a parent (the signature is optional). These sheets are sent down to the media center from every classroom. Based upon the sheets sent in there are several things that happen:
    #1 The students who turn in their sheets all month earn a different reward each month. One month it's a coupon for a free kids meal at Texas Roadhouse, another month to pizza hut, another month to chick-fil-a, and another to bruster's ice cream. One of our biggest months is for a Six Flags ticket. They don't actually get the ticket till the end of the school year though.

#2 The students who turn in their sheets ALL year (every single last week) and have read the required 100 minutes a week are rewarded at the end of the year award ceremony with a certificate and a book.

8. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

Neat ideas. We use A.R. right now and Book It but it did not seem to really light a fire under the kids to read last year and I want to add something fun that would help motivate them. I have heard of reading themes with catchy slogans. I am researching this online tonight. Please share any themes or slogans your school uses.

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

It's also a given in classrooms that if the students don't turn in their reading logs, there is some sort of consequence from the teacher. Most people follow through. I typically make my kids read at recess till they bring it in. But by the time they get to me (3rd grade) they are pretty well trained in the program. So I rarely have a problem with students forgetting to bring them in.

10. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

At my one building, people from the neighborhood bring their dogs in, and the kids go to random places in the building...bottom of the stairwell in that weird random space, closets and read to the dogs. They have a weekly rotation and the kids really seem to enjoy it.

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

storybook parade - each class does a different children's book. we make a huge banner and teacher and kids dress up to represent the book. It is amazing.

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

yes and high schoolers come read to our kids - they love seeing football players read. the high schoolers get a kick out of it too.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

We don't use an incentive program at all, and for the most part our kids are VORACIOUS readers. We use a readers workshop approach, model a passion for reading and it 'catches' with the kids. Each classroom has thousands of books and kids are reading self-selected books at their own level. We don't need any other motivation.

14. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 29, 2009

Our kids are not voracious readers. We have A. R., and Book It, and they get "Caught Reading" tickets to turn in for prize drawings. Their parents are not readers so the kids have not really been read to. Many of them do not know the difference in a letter or a number when they start Kindergarten. I don't think we need to do anything outrageous or expensive but we need a catchy theme for the year that the teachers can use to motivate the kids. I think reading buddies and booktalks are a good idea, too.

15. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

If we read the predetermined amount of minutes our principal would do a stunt: kiss a llama, be made into a human icecream sundae (w/ all the appropriate toppings), swim in jello or spaghetti, sit on the roof of the school for a day.

Teachers would get dunked in dunking booths or get a new hair style - gel, hair spray, ribbons, hair clips.

This year the school had to reach 1,000,000 minutes.

16. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

Our principal spent a day in a small jail cell this year - for 88 000 nights of reading. Last year he was in a cherry picker way over the parking lot.
    The students keep track of their nights if reading and the local Rotery club supports them. Students get prizes for 100, 200 and 250 nights of reading. They get little prizes at 100 and 200. For 250 they get a book and a certificate. All kindergarten students who get to 100 get a t-shirt.
    At the assemblies all students get their picture taken at 100 nights and we hang these in our classroom.
    It's a good program and we have three assemblies a year to just celebrate reading.

17. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jun 30, 2009

I'm about half-way through Alfie Kohn's book, Punished by Rewards. Your post is an example of what he's writing about.

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

that is why I love StoryBook Parade. It's not a reward - just a celebration of reading.

19. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

I was going to post something similar. I heard Stephen Krashen speak a few months ago and one of the things he said was if you give someone a reward for doing something then you are insinuating that doing the thing is unpleasant.

Richard Allington wrote once that there are lots of schools doing well producing students who CAN read but much few producing students who DO read.

Definitely is something to consider