How does your school prepare first day long term subs?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by oldstudent, Aug 12, 2015.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 12, 2015

Returning teachers with contracts usually start school two or three days ahead of the students to prepare their classrooms and hold grade level meetings.

New contracted teachers start a week early since they need more preparation.

Yet in my main district, job openings that have either not yet been filled, or where the teacher is not yet available, will have the long term substitute begin their assignment on the same day the kids arrive.

My main district has had three jobs that have been posted to last for the first three weeks of school, but both will likely go beyond this time frame until a permanent teacher is available.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the long term sub to start a day or two early as well?

it only costs the district an extra $125 a day to better prepare a sub for an extended job.

Is my district the norm, or the exception?

How has your staff helped these first day long term subs who might be coming in blindly?

Even a sub who has never stepped foot in a classroom can take these assignments.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 12, 2015

For long term subs starting the school year, they report the same day contracted teachers start, a week before kiddos report.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 12, 2015

my district is like the OP's. Sadly, long-term subs don't get to start until the first day with the kids.

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 12, 2015

I don't know for sure, but my school is usually pretty good about making LTS's feel like regular teachers. I think they would start with the rest of the teachers. I also believe we'll have a few LTS's at our school when we start in a week.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2015

I would think there is a difference between someone covering a maternity leave and someone filling in because the position is unfilled. Here, unfilled positions are unheard of. I did a LTS for a maternity leave once, but the teacher set the classroom up and even worked the first couple weeks before having her baby in September.