How does your school handle testing?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4evr, May 16, 2011.

1. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 16, 2011

We are in that lovely testing cycle again, and I just get so frustrated with the amount of wasted time going on during test. My school has testing first block of the day (we are on an even/odd) schedule. Tests are not timed, so the kids may have as long as they like. All classes in the building are held until the majority are finished. This goes on for two weeks. Our math and English test seem to go on the longest, so for the next two weeks, I will miss at least 3 classes with my 3rd and 4th blocks, while I will have my 1st and 2nd block for 3 to 4 hours those days. Meaning, of course, they will be behind in their work, and will be expected to catch up the last week of school. Some of them are seniors, that leave earlier than everything else. It drives me crazy.

The only thing I like about NY was that our Regents testing was done after finals, at the end of the year, only testing, and it was done for 3 days. If you didn't take a test, you didn't come to school. Once you finished, you left. And tests were timed, so there was a definitive end. Also, teacher's didn't get exempt from exam duty because they have a class (which happens here), everyone has to administer and proctor exams. In my school, if you are free in the morning-you are constantly testing. Those of use who have later planning never have to test, except on the day when most of our kids are being tested. It's not really fair.

Just a rant. There has to be a way to make it less interupptive.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 18, 2011

Do you have a testing center?

Our test is timed but for the students who get extended time, they take the test with the class and then move to a different room for more time.

4. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 19, 2011

Testing Center?

Ha, ha! That's funny. The students that are very behind do get moved if the majority of the students are done. BUt the entire building is tied up for weeks.