How does your school handle tardy students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mr_post22, Mar 22, 2014.

1. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 22, 2014

At my school, if the student is late to class, they have to go to the center of campus and get a little receipt like thing and than take it to their class. It has defiantly reduced tardy students but it can take up to 10 minutes sometimes for the student to walk to the tardy table, get the pass, and walk back to my class. I LOVE this idea but since my school is so big, I feel it has been poorly executed because there is only one tardy table and it is in the middle of the school. At the last meeting, I suggested 2 tardy tables up stairs for the 200, 300 and 500 halls, 2 down stairs for the 200, 300, 500, 600, and 700 which could be in the school store, 1 in the 400 building, and 1 in the 100 building. Everyone likes the idea but said it would take a lot of technology and people. I said that one teacher could give up 10 minutes of their planning period a day for one semester than change for all the tables and go and ask for some older equiptment from the county that is hardly ever used. He like that and said I was incharge of that... Great, but I told him I want my lunch, planning, and ISS periods all back to back next year.

Does your school handle tardy students in a similar way or not? Are you thinking about stealing out idea for next year (no worries, we stole this from another high school)?:)

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 22, 2014

We have 3 tardy stations- one per floor. Students who are late for class within the first 25 min have to go get a pass. Past the 25 min, they're considered absent, even if they go to class.

First 2 tardies are warnings, 3rd is detention and every tardy after that earns you 4 hours of Saturday School. This resets for each semester.

The teachers who run the tardy stations each block are volunteers who give up 30 min of their 80 min planning every other day. We receive direct comp time for this work. So every week, we earn 1-1.5 hours of comp time to use that semester.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2014

Here's a dumb question. What is the point of having the student miss more instructional time by going back to wherever and getting a pass to be admitted into a class they were to which they were already late? Why not just mark them tardy and deal with everything else later?

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2014

<25 minutes = tardy, >25 minutes = absent. :confused:

So the kid who comes scurrying in 20 seconds after the bell and the kid who comes sauntering in 20 minutes after the bell are treated the same? And the kid who makes an appearance in class 30 minutes after the bell is treated the same as the kid who never shows up at all?

If I were a student, I would LOVE this setup. Twice a semester I could blow off nearly a half hour of two classes of my choice without any consequence. Trust me, if I were in the halls when the bell rang, I'm got going to be in any hurry to get to class. Probably duck into the nearest restroom, sit down and catch up on some reading. Unless, of course, there is some other more pleasant location to pass the time and avoid detection.

Better still, each time I would be allowed to leave class AGAIN to go get the pass. That's great, because I walk really slow and if there is a line at the "tardy station" I will use that as an opportunity to be a nice guy and let people cut in front of me.

And finally, if I did lose track of time, and 25 minutes come and go, well then, I'm just not going to be there that day.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 22, 2014

We give demerits though I rarely do. We have three minutes in between periods and a very spread out building. If they're a few seconds late, most of us let it go.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2014

After ten tardies a note is sent home..I ave a student who has had at least three such notes sent home thus far. No other action is taken.

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 22, 2014

3 security guards per floor all day every day, plus 2 police officers and admin team. Bathrooms are cleared right when the bell rings, and any swept up is sent to the station. There's no "leaving class again" because doors are locked and shut upon the bell ringing. Generally tardy stations take no more than 5 min because there are multiple teachers at each of the locations.

So, yes, twice a semester you can "blow off" 25 min, but you'd have to be physically coming into the building that late to waste that much time. Students aren't allowed to leave the classroom during the first 25 min class, so any student in the hall is immediately coraled. And since classes are 90 min long, enjoying that 25 min off isn't going to save you from much as far as work.

If you take the absence, ok, but if you hit 7 for the semester, you automatically fail the class, regardless of grade. Since implementation 3 years ago, tardiness (which was a MASSIVE problem) has been cut down drastically. On a typical day, I have to write 3-4 tardy passes for my 1/3 of the school (approx 400 students).

9. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Mar 22, 2014

We do tardy sweeps at my school. In between classes teachers have an assigned station, once the bell rings any student is stopped. We get names and ID numbers and then ascort them to their class. This assures that students get there as quickly as possible. This also allows teachers to keep the class moving instead of having to go back and mark students as tardy. Tardy slips are turned into the office and they handle marking students tardy.

This works for the most part, although we do have a few repeat offenders. These students get to enjoy spending 4 hours of their Saturday in detention.

Oh the teachers do sweeps in the passing period right before their conference time.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2014

They don't. Our school does the printed tardy slips but there are no consequences for these. If a student is tardy to class, it is up to the teacher to assign detention. Few do, but most (myself included) do not.

Now, too many absences and the district can arrest or take the kid's parents to court. I've ever only known one parent to actually be arrested for this, but I've known plenty of parents taken to truancy court each year.

11. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 22, 2014

Just like we don't have an attendance policy, we don't have a tardy policy. Students who are late to class are marked tardy in the computer and the time at which they came to class is noted. No further action is taken.

12. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Mar 22, 2014

My school gives one hour detention after school if you're tardy a lot. Eventually, you get Saturday school. Does it work? I guess but some kids just don't care. First period tends to be the worst. In the last week, I've had two days where I had 6 kids absent and 2 tardies. That's one third of my class that's truant for 1st period. The only people who have the power to get their kids to school on time in the morning is......you can guess.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

At my daughter's school (big high school) students have to go to the front office if they're tardy to get a pass. I imagine there's a line, with thousands of students attending the school.
    With too many tardies (I forget how many) they're assigned Saturday school, and they have 2 weeks to do it. (this Saturday or next Saturday).
    I never liked the idea of being 1 minutes late is essentially the same as 29 minutes. My daughter is often 1-2 minutes late :(

My school (very small): students always go through the front office anyways, sometimes they enter them as tardy, normally I do it when they come in my class. First I enter them as absent, since they're not there, and then I have to go back to change it.
    I don't think there's ever an excused tardy, when the student is talking to someone at the office, they call on the radio not to mark them tardy.
    There are no consequences for being tardy. Our kids are expelled from their school, some pretty much forever, but a lot just for the year / semester, and they will be reviewed to be expected back. We keep telling them that tardies may stop them being accepted back (it's true), so that helps with some. And we're not talking about tardies only in the morning, but also after break or after lunch.

When I student taught at a middle school, my master teacher would assign detention after every 3 tardies. I think that work as well.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2014

If they don't come in with a note, they get marked tardy.

After a certain number of tardies, they get detention.

After a certain number of detentions for tardies, they get work detail after school.

First period unexcused tardies - the social worker gets sent to the house after a certain number.