How does your school handle making copies?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

Do you make your own copies? Do you send originals to a copy person or graphics department? Is there a limit to the number of copies you can make at a time or over the year?

At our school, we have access to copy machines for last-minute stuff, but we're supposed to use the graphics department. We send in our originals and they're ready in 3 days. We can make about 250 copies at a time, and we can make unlimited copies throughout the year.

Each teacher is given a box of copy paper from the school (10 reams I think), and our department gives us each another box. That paper is just for our personal use in the classroom and to make those last-minute copies.

3. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

2 options:
    You can give your originals to the office who will copy them for you with a minimum of 2 days notice.
    Or you can copy on your own in the teacher's lounge, using your code, at your own risk: It's usually very busy, and can jam.
    I don't think that we have a limit on copies. If it seems outrageous, I guess they'll ask who's eating the paper. Our school's pretty small, so it would stand out if someone were to take advantage.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

My last school we had to send it to Kinkos or go to Kinkos oursevels. My current school we buy paper out of our budget and make copies ourselves at the machines available throughout the building. IF we need a lot of something, or know what we will need in advance we can take it to the copy center and they will make as many as you need. It should take 3 days, but has taken 2 weeks before.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I can't stand our system. They say it's "to make our lives easier." To me, being a teacher of several different ability levels, it's very challenging to keep up with the papers ahead of time. I have to have copies from several different workbooks, etc. We have to send it up, and half the time the copy lady messes it up. For example, I print a lot of those little handmade books from enchantedlearning - and I get them back with the back side printed upside down, etc. It's really annoying. I ended up bringing one of my extra printer/scanner/copiers to work - it's just a little computer printer, but it does the job for the last minute copies when I need a homework print out or a copy of a permission slip. That way, I don't have to do it 48 hours ahead of time and wait for it.

6. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

You are so lucky! I envy you

7. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

We can either send them off to the print shop who will copy them for about $.015 and it takes about 3-5 days (we can write the date we need them done) or we can copy them ourselves which costs about $.03 but is done right away. We are allowed $800 in our school budget, $400 of that can be used for copies, 20% is set aside, and the rest for other supplies. If needed, the 20% that has been set aside is put into our copy budget or can be transferred into the next year (but has to be done in writing.)

8. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

We have two copiers and we do our own printing (no code and no limit) and our laptops are mapped to the copier so we can send stuff that we make. If you are lucky to parent volunteers they can come in and do they copies for you, they usually use the one in the lounge instead of the office.

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

I usually make my own copies. Know that I have a limit, but I have never been told it. I guess I haven't gone over :) At my previous school it was 1800 a month I think.

We have people who can copy for us, but it is a toss up if they will get it right. They also really do not like to copy, so I usually just do it myself lol.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

We have a "copy center", no limit, and a pretty quick turn around. Things are sometimes back that afternoon, but if not the next morning.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

We have unlimited access to lots of paper. There are 2 machines: one workhorse for more than 100 copies. (It's slow, but it seldom breaks down) and another high tech machine that colates and staples.

If they're both down, you can run to the nearby Middle School Office and sneak on their copier in a crisis.

12. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

When I was doing my prac, the prac school had a code/ID system whereby teachers were allocated a code and a certain amount of copies. The thing was, the teachers had to hide their fingers when they tapped in their code as other teachers were using their codes and consequently their photocopy allocation!!!

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Make my own. No code, no limit, but usually a very long line at both of the copy machines in our school.

14. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

Each teacher gets a case of paper in the fall, and again in January. Each team also gets a case for things like newsletters and such. We must turn in our copies ahead of time, but our Copy Goddess is amazing :love: - 24 hour turn around, and if you are really in a bind - substitute/emergency she will drop everything and take care of that first.

Very very lucky.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

We make our own copies. There are 2 copy machines and a risograph (for over 20 copies). We have no limits on how much we copy; they tried to initiate that a couple of years ago and it wasn't bery successful.

16. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Two very nice large copiers the do collate and staple. No code, no limit but we do have to make our own copies. We also all have a printer/scanner in our classrooms for when we need that one more copy!

17. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

My old school we copied everything ourselves and had no limit. I came in early to avoid the long lines. My new school gives us a code and limit of 1000 per quarter, and everything outside of that is sent to BOCES (in NY, BOCES help public schools control costs by sharing services, providing professional development, etc.) I think the turn around is usually 3-5 days. I plan on using BOCES as much as possible and saving my other copies for last minute stuff.

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

We have a copier in our lounge but it's usually jammed. We are allowed unlimited copies and paper is always available. We also have our school laptops routed to several different building copiers for little things. I like that the best. I find cool things online at home and just save it till I get to school to print.

19. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

We can not copy anything ourselves. The office staff can make copies if it is not over 25 copies. But, I have over 155 students so I have to drop mine off to be printed at the library. We can not copy anything ourselves and that makes it a little harder especially if you are in a jam and need something quickly.

20. mbfenner

mbfenner Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

My school allows us unlimited amounts of paper. We also make our own copies. In the building we have 10 copiers for 60 or so teachers and staff members.

http://www.educationbuffet.com

21. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

In our school, we do not make our own copies. We have a person who was basically hired to sit and make copies all day. I appreciate the work that she does, but it's easy to get irritated when you aren't allowed to use the copy machine and she's not around. I'm not sure about whether our school has limits or not, but we may as well have limits...if people (teachers who do not make copies) see that you make alot of copies, they complain non-stop!

22. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 16, 2007

We have two copy machines and an unlimited amount of copies. It is really just busy before school starts in the morning. We have to each have our own code, though. :)

23. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

We do all the copying ourselves. Not limit or codes. We have three copy rooms (in the High School and another three in the Middle School), in each copy room their is a risograph for over 20 copies and a copy machine for under 20. Doplme of the machines staple amd hole punch others do not.

24. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

We can send masters down to be copied. They say they will copy them on time if you get them down three days before you need it. This is often not the case though. I have waited weeks to get some things copied. So usually I just copy things myself or my grade partner will copy and give me half. We have a code to use but they don't restrict how many copies we can make (or at least they haven't yet :rolleyes: ) We have a different machine if we need to make more that 100 copies at once.

25. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Jul 16, 2007

We have codes, and we have a limit of 300 or 350 (can't remember) a month.

26. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

We have a code, but no limits. We have an aide who works about two hours a day, but has problems getting things done the way I need (one time she left my sticky note with my note to her on all the copies she made!), so I usually do it myself.

This year I have the PTO President's daughter in my class, and she (the mom) loves to help out with copying, cutting, etc, so I may have help!

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

No limit on the amount of copies. We make our own copies. When I have parents copy, I try & make an orignal so if I want something done back to back it's already done.

I interviewed at a school that gave each teacher 1,000 copies/year!

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

We can make up to 30 copies at a time on the copier in the workroom. We enter a code to make copies.

We can print up to 40 copies at a time from out computers directly to the main copier in the office. We also have to enter a code.

For multiple copies we take a master to the copy room and drop it off at least 24 hours in advance. We have an office worker who makes the copies. She also keeps track of how many copies we make.

I think there is a limit, but I'm not sure what it is. I don't make all that many copies, so I don't worry about it.

29. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

Each teacher buys copy paper for the year out of her budget. I usually buy 4 boxes (but I am elementary and we have a lot of diagnostic assessment we do like DIBELS and DRA that take up a lot of paper), and you make your own copies whenever you need to.

30. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 17, 2007

We have a copy person make our copies. If we put it in in the morning, she'll have it done by the afternoon. This year I'll have a printer in my room, so I can also print things from my computer if needed. Each teacher is given a box of copy paper at the beginning of the year, and in January. I still have two unopened boxes from previous years.

31. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 17, 2007

We can make unlimited copies right now as long as we buy the paper ourselves...with the exception of one case :(

We have a copy person, but often I prefer to do stuff by myself after school. I hate to be mean, but most of the stuff I get back is either incorrect, unreadable, or just plain wasteful.

Can you imagine lopsided pages full of extremely dark charts that you can't read? or 500 pages of front/back tests that were all done on *different* pages :mad: that's a whole ream of wasted paper! :(:(:(

32. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

We are given a certain number of copies a month (I think it averages out to 2.5 copies a day per student) and we make our own copies.

33. BRS

BRS Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

We have to copy ourselves.

We have a limit - 25,000 copies a year. Yes, you are warned/scolded when you get close to your limit ...

34. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I know two things. I have a limit, and I have to copy myself. Other than that, who knows? :) I only have 12 students, but I know they will take tons of paper. Daily communications home, goal tracking, data collection, IEPs... plus 6 assistants too. However many I have, I'm sure I'm going to need them all!

35. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

We have codes, but no set "limit." I know there are some teachers who have gotten a talking to if they are making more than the other teachers who do the same subject, but I teach two different advanced courses with no textbooks, so I probably make more copies than anyone else.

I also happen to be lucky in that I worked for a copier company before I became a teacher, so I can fix almost any jam! People leave the copiers frustrated because they are always jamming, and I come along and fix them, make my copies, then leave them for the other people to break again. I get called out of class A LOT to go fix the copiers (kinda a pain).

I think schools that allow teachers to make their own copiers should add a short mandatory inservice where teachers are taught how to make the kids of copies they want, how to fix jams, and how to gently be very nice to the copier so that it is in proper working condition.

36. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2007

I get called out of class A LOT to go fix the copiers (kinda a pain).

I think schools that allow teachers to make their own copiers should add a short mandatory inservice where teachers are taught how to make the kids of copies they want, how to fix jams, and how to gently be very nice to the copier so that it is in proper working condition.[/QUOTE]

Good idea, I think this should be the case, sure would save teachers a lot of frustration. Like you want two sided copies, and one side you had copied long ago, which way does the paper go in so it comes out right? They should post and example. But you leaving the classroom? Shesh, the copiers at my school have a screen, with pictures, steps listed A to L, follow directions, jam fixed. I guess some teachers can't read directions???? :toofunny:

37. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

I make my own copies or have an assistant do it. We have 5 copy machines that you can go to at any time. We don't have to use a code or anything, just copy what you want-but just hope that there's paper! I always keep a pack in my cabinet and bring it with me just incase.

38. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

We can copy things for our class anytime in the office (assuming the copier is not broken:() No limit however our secretary hates when WE break the copier or WE run out of paper.
    If it is something that you need 50 or more copies of, you need to plan ahead two weeks and send it to the district office to have it copied.

39. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 6, 2007

Ummm, here I go, showing my ignorance (and my age) again! Exactly what is a risograph? Is it similar to the old mimeograph machines?

40. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 6, 2007

At my previous school, we had two people in the copy room. They did great work and QUICK!!! If you put it in the IN BOX before 9:00, they hand delivered your work no later than 10:00 A.M. I have to admit they were the best and the staff took really good care of them ALL THE TIME!!! Boy, do I miss that great service.

41. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

We have to make our own copies and have no limit or code or anything. Up until I read some of your comments, I was a little irritated that we don't have anyone to do our copying for us (like our secretary who doesn't do much of anything). Now I am glad that I do my own. Nobody to mess it up, it is done on time, and I can run and do last minute things if I need to.