How does your school decide which students get Title 1?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by waterfall, Aug 18, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2011

Is it everyone reading below grade level (who is not in special ed), or is there a certain percentage cut off point (so maybe everyone benchmarking below 40th percentile), is it based on individual kids, or up to a certain number of the lowest readers? What is your process for deciding who receives Title 1 services?

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2011

At my school in Idaho we would use the Idaho Reading Indicator, which tested their reading fluency. A high score was 3, with 1 being the lowest. We would have Title 1 teachers test our students who received 1s and 2s, and sometimes low 3s, depending on how many students we had. Then we were able to choose who was below grade level and needed extra help. Special Ed students were not eligible for Title 1 services.

The number of kids they took had to do with how many Title 1 aides or paras we had. I believe they usually only took about 6 kids per classroom. We had 1 teacher and 2 paras (I don't think they were both full time), but last year they eliminated the teacher and only used paras.

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 19, 2011

I'm in a private school. We do our own evals in class then give a list to the Title 1 teacher. She then has to check to be sure they are Title 1 eligible according to public school zoning. If they are eligible, she then does her evals with each. We then get together & determine which students she will see.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 19, 2011

Sorry to interject, but isn't Title 1 also based on income status...?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

Title 1 regulations require school districts to provide services to all schools where at least 75% of students qualify for free or reduced price meals.

7. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

:yeahthat:

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2011

Income status determines rather your school gets Title 1 funding, but once your school has it, any student can use it. It's not like only the students who are on free and reduced lunch can participate in title 1- anyone who is a struggling reader in the school can be in one of the reading groups.

I was just curious to see how other schools decided which students got to be in these groups. Our title teacher last year was a close friend of mine, but she drove me nuts trying to put my students on ieps or tier III rti in her groups- they already had reading group with my every day and I didn't want them being confused with being in multiple intervention programs as well as miss that much time of their gen ed class. She's a classroom teacher now and we got a new title 1 teacher for the school year. The interesting part is that she is full time, whereas the teacher last year was .5 and seemed to be running out of students to put in groups (hence why she was always wanting mine). The new one is also a friend of mine (she transfered from another job in the district) and I've already given her a list of my students that I want out of title 1 groups. We were also kind of talking about if we wanted to put everyone through rti to start receiving title 1 (which can be considered a tier 2 intervention). The problem we ran into last year is that teachers would refer students in the spring to rti, and they'd techincally been receiving title 1 interventions all year, but we couldn't count that as part of the "formal process" since we'd yet to meet about the student. However, if we say title is just for anyone who is below grade level at all, that's a ton of kids (75+) to have rti meetings about when we know full well most of them won't progress to needing more intensive interventions. I was just wondering how other schools dealt with this.