How does your district advertise?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by raynor, Jun 16, 2009.

1. raynor

raynor Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

I was wondering, when I had seen some openings, I would see.

"All High School Teachers" or "All Elementary School Teachers"

But not specify what subject, esp. with the High School teachers....when you see something advertised in THIS manner, does that mean there's a whole lot of openings available in this particular district? When they make a blanket statement like that in an opening?

Closing date is in Sept....which means they're hiring for the next school year probably.

3. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

The district where I live lists the positions by school. The grade isn't mentioned, just science, math, etc.

There is one application for the whole district. When you see an opening that you want, you email the principal with your resume and cover letter. Then, hopefully you get a call back. I hate waiting :(

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

Districts around here sometimes post positions like that at the beginning of the hiring season since they know they'll need teachers, but aren't sure in what subject/grade level. As they know exactly what grade/subject they need, that gets replaced with specific schools/subjects/grades.

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 16, 2009

Here the districts post through a county online system. As positions open, they are posted grade specific.

6. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

Ours is one application for the whole state. You then choose which areas you want to see listings for. Most say "teacher" then "science" or "elementary" when you click on the opening to read the posting sometimes they list grade levels or desired skills and certifications like "Spanish speakers preferred". There are some that say "Elementary teachers-system-wide." Some don't have closing dates. A few postings have been there since March (don't know why they didn't call me!)

7. raynor

raynor Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

Yeah, ours do that, but that's ONLY if a position opens ONE at a time.

This was a blanket posting for ALL positions at one time in HS in general. I guess they do this for the NEW school year. (During the summer)

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2009

They probably just want to get a pool of applicants together for all positions in case positions open up throughout the summer and they want to fill it right away. A lot of districts around here only post hard-to-fill positions externally, so many positions are never posted because they get so many applicants anyway. Some are required by contracts to post in papers or their website, but it varies from district to district and some do post the general postings that you described.