How does your area post/apply?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newbie23, Jul 16, 2009.

1. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

I'm wondering how different states/counties/districts notify of postings and then how do you apply.

Here in Ohio the Dept. of Education has a site that some schools use to post openings and you can fill out basic application information and apply through the site. But... most schools have a separate application that they may or may not reference in this posting. Then there are a few consortium districts that have a central website to apply through and finally, there's the old "pick out an alphabetical listing and run through them periodically" which can get pretty tiring and confusing. I think that having 1 central state-wide application would be great for us job seekers but obviously doesn't provide the district with everything they'd like.

I've applied for postings in a few other states like NC which has a central site. I'm just wondering how many of those schools actually accept the state's application or if you have to also apply specifically to them.

Make sense? If not, you're not alone. I try to explain to my family that just because there is a button to "apply online" it's not that easy as many districts want you to send in additional information or fill out interview questions.

Oh the "joy" of job-seeking.

3. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I know in Connecticut it is the law for all teaching positions to be posted on a website called ctreap. For New York, where I live, I know there have been instances where schools have openings but will not post the jobs because they have someone lined up (a sub usually) and they do not want other people applying. They rather hire someone from the inside. I know one district I have subbed for where for a maternity leave, they will hire only their subs for the position. There is a website called olasjobs (Online Application System) where some jobs are posted but again, some districts either do not post their jobs or you have to go to their district websites.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2009

Where I am post districts don't post their positions, so you just have to fill out an application early on in the hiring season for each district. Also, it is helpful to mail principals your cover letter and resume. A lot of districts also have screening interviews that you have to pass before you can be interviewed by principals. Basically every district is different and what may work in one district won't work in another.

5. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

That is what I've found as well; it all depends on the particular school. Last year I didn't do very well keeping up on checking for postings. This year although it was expensive I sent an application packet to 90% of the school districts in my state. This way, I at least have sent materials to them but I still do check frequently with the districts I'd really like to work in to see if there are any postings and if you have to apply to anyone in particular.

As we all know, it's exhausting and expensive but it will be worth it!

6. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Jul 16, 2009

The job I just got was posted on the regional website, the district website, AND I ran across it online on an employment site (not hotjobs but something like that).

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

In my area, the only way to apply is through the online consortium. The districts stress that is the only way to apply and DO NOT contact the district or principals regarding the postings. Basically, don't call us, we'll call you. I do email and drop-off my resume packets anyway since each system has an average of 2500 applicants per position. But, I know at this time even though positions are posted, the districts are only hiring from within.

8. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I was just wondering about the having to post on CTreap- I have found MANY jobs on district websites that have not been posted on reap. I spend hours going to each district's website because of it. Where did you hear about that?

Also, another place that I look in CT is CEA, the Conn. Education Association, they post basically the same jobs as reap but sometimes a couple of different ones. The job I just interviewed for was never posted at all. Many districts use that applitrack online system for applying- very annoying to fill out the first time, but after that you can upload everything from other applications into another one.

9. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

I HATE the system Ohio uses to apply to schools.

On top of the many hours it takes sometimes to actuallyfill out an application, it takes just as long to find a postion to apply to.

I was going through the alphabetical listing of ever school district AGAIN the other day and after 2 hours, I finally got through the C's.

I wish they went to one state-wide application system.

Of course, I see it from the side of the school district as well. I've been told..."If a teacher wants a job bad enough they will come find the job posted on my school website."

10. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 16, 2009

Illinois is a mess. There is a central database (at the Illinois Association of School Administrators), but nobody is required to use it. And so some jobs will be posted there, some will be posted only at district websites, and some will be posted at the websites of Regional Office of Education websites. So when I was looking, I would spend hours going from website to website. What a nightmare.

And the sweet irony of it all? I ultimately got my job from just mailing my paper resume and documents to a school. Not a single online application, be it from a district or regional office, got me a bite. Oh well......

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 16, 2009

In my area there are 2 recruitment websites that many districts are on. Some districts ONLY post on their own website or in the newspaper.

12. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Here pretty much all districts post to one of two state-wide sites, it's very nice because with one site, all applications etc are done online and you submit your resume, coverletter and letters of recommendation etc. also online.

13. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jul 16, 2009

In Texas, each district does their own thing. They each have their own online application. There aren't any statewide websites (that I know of) that has postings.

14. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

It sounds like it really varies.

Simba, I'm with you on the Ohio system needing serious revision. I say, if the district's aren't widely utilizing the state-wide website, why have it? Sure, you think it's nice to at least have one place with several postings on it but... I always end up going to that particular district's site and seeing additional information that I need to include or finding that the posting isn'tup to date.

Job seeking is a job in and of itself.

15. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Darlibby there is http://www.tasanet.org/applications/CareerCenter/ which is a statewide education job bank. Districts are not required to post jobs here, but most do.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

A number of NYS school post on OLAS:
    http://www.olasjobs.org/

But the majority post on their own websites &/or the Sunday NY Times.

17. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I've been applying all over the country so dealing with this has been really frustrating.

Most of my applications have gone out to schools in GA, SC, NC, TN, VA, WA, and OR.

In my experience (but this does not mean that I am not missing something) :

Georgia: The website TeachGeorgia.org posts most of the openings that I have seen. Sometimes you have to check the district websites as well (particularly for "hot" districts like Gwinnett and Fulton).

South Carolina: All over the board. Many use the CERRA application system though, even though they may not advertise there as such. So getting your application on CERRA filled out will help alot.

North Carolina: There is a central website, but it's all over the board.

Tennessee: All over the board.

Virginia: A lot go through Teachers-Teachers, but again, you have to check individual districts alot as well.

Washington: Other than it being practically impossible to find a job here, WATeach.com has some postings but is definitely not required. Most of the time you have to go through each individual district, which can get quite tedious especially since it is not on a county-based system as it is in the Southeast.

Oregon: Nearly everyone (if not everyone, I think it is required at this point) uses EdZapp.com

18. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

That it is. Even if your area has an online central application process, you need to keep it updated, check for new postings, email P or drop off material to P's, check again for new posting, rinse and repeat.

19. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Where is 'here' sciencegurl? And what are these sites? If you don't mind me asking. :)

20. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

thanks Kalli!--I had no idea there was such a thing.

21. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

In California public/charter schools usually use EDJOIN.org. Some distrcits only post on their own website, but that is fairly rare. Private schools use craigslist or their own website. EDJOIN is a god send. You fill out everything once in their website and while some schools need supplemental things, it usually only takes about 15 minutes to apply to each school (if your profile is up to date).

I think all states should use it.

22. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

I was actually told by a couple people who work in the CT that it is state law for all teaching positions has to be posted on that website, since it is the CT database for teaching positions.

23. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I LOVE the schools who use a database system like Applitrak. This way, you can not only finish most applications in 10 min. but it's also very easy to keep things current and fix any blemishes several schools.

For instance, I ran into my ST cooperative teacher a few months ago and she mentioned that my university supervisor had been at the school checking on another student teacher. When my coop talked to her she didn't recognize her which I think is understandable. I mean my supv. is near 70, has been out of the classroom for 30 years and only teaches 1 college course so clearly she's not as passionate about the process as I hope she once was. BUT... when my coop told her that she was my coop teacher my supv. said, "Now what did she look like?" So my coop described me and a few of the memorable lessons I did to which she heard, "Nope, not ringing a bell."

Now this is a reference I had put on nearly every application regardless of whether or not they specifically requested my univ. supv. so of course I had a minor/somewhat major meltdown. But, fortunately my bf got onto the applitrak site and helped me fix at least those so I don't have a bad reference. Now if I could only break into the district offices of every school I've sent paper references to and replace them ;)

Moral of the story, databases are awesome.

24. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

In my area of Florida, two districts are online only. On you must call and the other is faxing. All of them state to not contact the school in any other way though.