How does this work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Apr 21, 2015.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 23, 2015

Oh my goodness! I've never heard of such a high turnover rate before! :eek:

2. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 23, 2015

Oh my giraffe! I didn't realize things were that bad.

I know that at my school our insurance only goes until the end of June, even though we get paid through August.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2015

But won't they question me for not terminating my contract immediately? The second threat came just last week. A whopping two day suspension. The first had no consequence. The child who injured me was not suspended until after school when I began filling out incident reports. They called home and said he was out for three days. It was my wrist, and it still hurts from time-to-time, especially if I sleep on it. (I'm a side sleeper and I tuck my arm under my pillow.) I never had it checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had a hairline fracture that healed itself. (or is healing itself) Otherwise, it wouldn't hurt two months later.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2015

Some of them only lasted a day or two. Never even caught their names.

It is funny. The secretary that began the year was great. We'd chat a lot. Everyone else hated her. The only other people I am even semi-close to are the black sheep of the school. Probably another reason I'm disliked- I speak to 'them'. They are both in the process of being forced out despite being tenured. Yet they are the only decent people on staff. It is like an alternate universe or something.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2015

Once may be an isolated incident, so you work through it. A second incident creates a pattern of unsafe working environment. I honestly believe that this may well be the way to go. Concern for personal safety when the students are the aggressors would be enough to make most people think twice about staying put. This is a valid and documented series of events, stressful, and a valid reason to go looking for another job. The stress of this environment could, conceivably, affect job performance and affect evaluations. Most importantly, the office of unemployment will see that you want to work, but you have reasonable expectations of finding a job without fear as a constant concern. If you want to find another teaching job, the unemployment benefits will create some income that allows you the time to search for a suitable job, and that is important.

As I said before, this creates an exit strategy that shows you tried, but are as concerned as most reasonable individuals would be. It keeps you miles from the not renewed and resigned to avoid nonrenewal questions, and certainly opens the door to the questions of "fit" with potential future employers. Follow your heart, but I am a proponent of finding a way to take the unemployment money - it is an insurance policy that has been paid for, and there is no stigma to actually having a regular check coming as you seek a new job.

Good luck.