How does this work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Apr 21, 2015.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2015

Hi all. I haven't been on in forever. I hope everyone is well.

How does a resignation affect benefits? I'm tempted to turn in my resignation now for the end of the school year, because I am 100% sure I am not going back. I will sub and work a part time job if I have to. It is that bad, unfortunately.
    Will my insurance end with the date of my resignation? Trying to figure out how that works.
    Thanks a bunch.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 21, 2015

You should have benefits until your last day of employment, or the end of that month.

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 21, 2015

Sorry to hear this year didn't turn out as you hoped. Remind me again if your state was one of those that held your cert if you didn't resign within a reasonable time?

I would check your contract, I'm pretty sure with my job my benefits would terminate the day before the new school year as you have already "paid" into said benefits (even though our insurance is free) before the summer.

Typical jobs say one month after employment.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2015

No, they will not hold my certification.
    Bunnie, that was what I was thinking- I've been paying for insurance.

It has been a terrible year. I've received no support and I've been semi-vocal with pointing out problems with administration. There are many. So, I'm pretty sure they are going to non-renew me anyway. I want to resign first to keep the upper hand here. They tanked my last evaluation. I went from all 3s (effective) in the fall, to nearly all 2s (minimally effective) in the spring. They marked me down for things I can even prove- like record keeping and similar provable things. I debated fighting it with the union, but it comes down to the fact that I simply do not care. It is a daily battle to not simply walk out. And it has been this way all year.
    Anyway, I'm toying with sending in a resignation notice now. I just don't want to screw myself.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 21, 2015

In my district, teachers who resign or are non-renewed receive health benefits until June 30th (the last day of school is June 4th).

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 21, 2015

Could you call HR and find out? When I resigned from my last district, they took insurance out of my summer checks, but I wasn't covered for July and August.

8. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 21, 2015

Or ask your union rep. In my district, benefits last until the end of August if you submit a resignation effective at the end of the school year.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 21, 2015

I submitted a letter stating that my resignation was effective at the end of my current contract. So, I'll have benefits and a full salary until June 30, even though my last day of work is May 22. Contracts in my district run from July 1-June 30 of the following year.

I would think that you should be eligible for benefits up until your last official day of employment, which would be the date of the end of your current contract, unless you or your district decide to go with early termination.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2015

If you don't have a union rep you can ask, I agree to call HR and ask if you're not sure. You can probably even ask anonymously. I can't imagine that they could take away your benefits- it's not like you're not working the full year, you're just announcing your resignation early. If you really think you're going to be non-renewed, you should definitely resign now before you've been officially told. That way you can honestly answer "no" on applications when they ask if you've resigned in lieu of non-renewal. Plus, if admin is on your case they will likely back off when they know you're not coming back anyway.

11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 21, 2015

I called my insurance provider to ask a similar question once. If you're worried, ask whether your conversation is confidential. It should be.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 21, 2015

I was wondering the other day where you've been. I'm so sorry this year has been so awful. :hugs: Do you have applications out for next year?

I switched jobs this year (moved), so I resigned at the end of the year. My insurance was in effect until the calendar day before it had started. My insurance had originally started July 1 (2012), so it ended June 30 (2014). The last day of school was June 26 or 27 I think. You should have it for 12 months from whenever it went into effect, I think.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2015

My district is super small- 600 students. So no HR exactly. Just a secretary in the admin office, so there is no way to do it anonymously.
    I will be paid through the end of August. I know that. I'm just wondering about benefits. I have a second insurance, but the coverage is not so great.
    Jobs haven't really been posted yet. The first one came up today. I applied.
    This year has just turned me against education. Which makes me sad. I've been applying for things outside of teaching. My phone is blowing up with calls from insurance companies. So at least I have something to fall back on, I guess.
    This school is so poorly run. And it is sad. Plus it is cold and uninviting. Not happy at all. Which is even sadder. Things were going OK until I had it and spoke up a few times about things not running smoothly. And I started asking questions. So, basically, I've landed on the P's sh*t list and received a bad (by my standards) eval due to it. I'm sure it is to put in motion a plan to non-renew me. I've had to meet with her weekly, too, and she gives me a ridiculous number of things to do. And I jump through every hoop, which I'm sure p*sses her off. I'm held to a different standard than the rest of the staff- part of the pressure to get me to resign, I'm sure. In our handbook, we have to have grades current within a week- meaning we can grade over the weekend and whatnot. My papers have to be graded, input online, and passed back within three days. She recently made me redo my parent contact log. I only recorded phone calls and face-to-face conversations. I save all of my emails, and had asked in September if that was adequate. I was told yes. Then in February, she told me they needed to be in my paper log. 936 emails. I had to record. No one else has had to. I did it. And she checks it weekly.
    I was also marked down in my evaluation for not using instructional materials adopted by the district. I have begged since September for the online access to our math series. I have 6 emails asking for access. Plus there were face-to-face conversations. Still no access. And I'm marked down. This is why I know they are fudging it to force me out.
    I was never planning on going back next year, anyway. I think I'd rather go back to the scary charter I worked at. Seriously.

14. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Apr 21, 2015

Wow, when is the deadline for you to find out about contract renewal or non-renewal? EVERYONE says year one is the biggest hell. Are you sure you want to resign or believe admin wants to get rid of you?

Also informative info in this thread.

15. StarsofTommorow

Apr 21, 2015

This explains my last question.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 22, 2015

Ugh, that just sounds like such an impossibly horrible situation. I'm so sad for you! I remember how exciting it was when you got a job and were able to move closer to family.

Whether it's in education or not, I really hope you get a job that's a positive situation for you where you can be happy! You definitely deserve that after all you've had to go through with the two crazy schools. :(

I do know that admin makes ALL the difference. A teaching job with good admin is like a completely different career from what you are currently experiencing, it sounds like.

At least the end of the year countdowns have begun, and you will be able to finally escape soon!

17. StarsofTommorow

Apr 22, 2015

Agree. Good admin too.

18. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 22, 2015

Is it possible for you to hand in your resignation and date it effective 8/31/15 (assuming school begins 9/1/15) so you're covered? You could reason that you want to assure you still receive your summer pay.

I'm sorry this is happening. However, how bad does it look to have a non-renewal in Michigan? Because also you wouldn't get unemployment if you resign when you could be non renewed instead. Just something to consider, and I'm sure you have.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

I know. I try to remember that I was really happy last fall when I was an LTS. It is the school that is toxic. But another part of me is so done.

Since I've worked in 5 schools, I've worked for 5 Ps. Two were great. One was so-so. And two have been terrible. I know admin matters. The two times I have been miserable have been under the terrible Ps. I'm so over it, but at the same time, it is frustrating because I know it isn't me. In my 8 years, I've been evaluated by 4 Ps. I can't remember being marked down in any category previously. I likely was- especially in my first year or so, but it would have been just one or two out of nearly 100. Even in the fall at this school, I was only marked down in two areas (and one was amended during the post conference, so really just one area). Now, all of a sudden, I'm marked down in nearly half. Nothing has changed. Behavior has improved. But my teaching is somehow worse. As is everything else. :rolleyes: I will admit- I deserve a 'minimally effective' with the management of materials category for the lesson I was observed in. The passing out took much longer than I anticipated. But I am 100% at fault there and deserve that 2. In one category.

20. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2015

Just curious - what date does your contract or union have for the last date that the admin has to tell you that you will not be renewed? I only ask because if that date has passed, you may want to slightly ammend how you resign. If it is just "I hate this job" and you resign, you most likely will not be eligible for unemployment. However, if the date for nonrewals has passed, things like a life change, move, etc., may allow you to obtain the unemployment. You may still hate your job and want out, but you can steer how you exit. A resignation that is only because you are going to be nonrenewed usually must be disclosed anyway, so you lost your unemployment for nothing. This has been discussed in past threads, but it does seem to be getting right up to that deadline, so thought I would ask. Sorry for the distress, by the way.

21. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 22, 2015

I have no advice, but I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing year. I spent a year in a toxic school in 2007-08. Hitting the eject button while you are still sane is the best move.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

I've thought about dating my resignation like that. They have to pay my contract out- it will be on time worked. I would be able to sue, so that is a non-issue. Going without health coverage makes me nervous. I do have a back-up insurance, but it doesn't cover emergencies at all.

Non-renewal is career suicide. There are already thousands of applicants per position. I'd never work again. Most also ask if you've resigned to avoid non-renewal. Which is why I want to get a resignation in ASAP in case my gut is right. I'm 1000000% sure I'm not going back. I'm honestly at the point that I'd rather be homeless. That bad.

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

There isn't a date. I've combed it over. It says early June.
    I haven't been told I'm getting non-renewed. I just have a feeling since my evaluation was so deliberately sabotaged. The only other thing is that they are trying to bully me into resigning. As I said above, I'd rather be homeless than go back. I wish I were kidding. I'm not going back, so why delay the inevitable?

24. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 22, 2015

Then resign tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about the benefits issue, 2 months without if that's the policy is peanuts compared to career suicide. Good luck!

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

Here's my thought. If you know you want to get out of the classroom (and I certainly can't blame you after the last couple of years!) and you have outside companies looking to hire you...why not quit right now and pick up the insurance from the new company?

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

Everything I've heard back from is insurance sales. I don't like working sales. It would be a fall-back job. I didn't apply for any of these- I applied for a different job via Monster and went ahead and allowed my resume to be viewable by anyone. So they are all just soliciting me, basically.

If I hear back from one of the many non-teaching jobs, and am hired immediately, I won't bother finishing the year.

I've hemmed and hawed about leaving the profession all year. During that small window last year (my LTS), I was very happy. Not to mention the 6 years before that. It is just so hard because the last two years (with the exception of my LTS) have been so hard. I've lost the will to fight. I shouldn't have to work so hard to get a decent job. It is years worth of frustration coming to a head. I've been optimistic for years, but this year has literally crushed my spirit. In all aspects of life. I've always been a voracious reader, reading several books per week. I don't even have a desire to read. I'm just done.

27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 22, 2015

I don't know what do say. I'm so sorry! :hugs:

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

Do I really even need to put a date on my resignation letter? Couldn't I just state that I do not plan on returning for the 2015-2016 school year? Just wondering....

29. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 22, 2015

If you know, for sure, you are not returning, why don't you just march in and ask all of this of your administration?

Call the D.O or just ask the person you know has the answers?

30. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 22, 2015

I would. What if the district office says they didn't receive your resignation letter until after the deadline for resignation? You'd have no proof that you sent it in on time if it's not dated.

I'd scan the resignation letter and email it (also asking for them to reply that it has been received). I'd also mail them the hard copy.

31. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2015

Personally, I would date the letter the date you submit it. However, in the body of the letter, I would state the resignation is effective the last day of your current contract, unless you plan to get out of there immediately, of course.

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

I would date it in the day I write it. It is partially written. I just meant that my 'resignation is effective blah blah date' and instead that 'Please accept this letter as my resignation, as I am not returning to blah blah school for the 2015-2016 school year."

33. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2015

I would like to suggest contacting the unemployment office, and running the current terrible situation past them, provide the possibility that you are being bullied into resigning, and find out if you have grounds for being eligible for benefits despite the resignation. It is worth the effort to research, since you feel being nonrenewed will be the kiss of death, and having to disclose that you resigned to keep from not being renewed won't be any better, in all likelihood. They may even be able to tell you when you would know about not being renewed. I highly suggest finding a way to resign that would reflect a move, family emergency, or some other plausible excuse that will put a better spin on this in the future. If you can actually need to move or help with family matters, even better.

With the plausible excuse, you can approach HR directly and get guidance, without fear of reprisal.

Good luck.

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

I've done the move. Several times. This was my job close to home after 10 years of trying.
    I have no problem with explaining why I resigned in an interview. The school wasn't a good fit- I'm looking for a more collaborative environment.
    I could also go the fear of safety route, if I wanted. I won't. But I've been threatened to be killed twice. I've also been injured by an enraged student (not one that threatened me)

35. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2015

Reread the post. Reason for resigning with the district. Again, it wasn't a good fit for my personality and teaching style. I enjoy working in a collaborative environment because it pushes me to go outside of my comfort zone and makes me a better teacher because of it. Due to the small size of the district, it doesn't offer the collaborative environment I prefer. (Less than 700 students. 2 teachers per grade level. I'm the only teacher in my district teaching what I teach.)

36. The Natural Log

The Natural Log Rookie

Apr 23, 2015

Ay, there's the rub. If you really liked going outside of your comfort zone, your current situation would be heaven so I wouldn't word it quite like that!

37. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2015

I've had a bad year too. I'm going to be letting everyone know soon that I won't be back next year, but I'm not looking forward to finishing out the year with them. My kids are great. It's everything, and everyone, else. I hope you're able to find something that makes you happy!

38. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2015

I'm not wording it that way. I've been working on the letter for two weeks now. I went to bed after I posted that, and reflected, and nixed the idea. I will stick to a more simple, "I seek a position with more collaborative opportunities" type sentence. Or not give them a reason at all besides it wasn't a good fit for me. I really don't think I should have to explain why it wasn't a good fit for me. It wasn't.

39. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 23, 2015

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't even have to say that. They don't need to know the reason why you're leaving, just that you are. :2cents:

40. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2015

I'm sorry for your situation, FFH. But it is nice to know I am not alone. :hugs:

I flat out told me P in December, about the time I got mad enough to start vocalizing my issues (and hence, the beginning of the 'force giraffe out' movement) that I expected the difficult group of children. I was warned. But the fact that my teammate snaps at me and runs her mouth behind my back (she is the school gossip- within 2 hours of my first day I knew everything about everyone), plus the other distant, unfriendly staff, it makes it hard to want to come to work everyday. There are multiple teachers whom I've never spoken a word to. (I lie- I've smiled and said hi and nothing in return.) Out of our staff of 14 classroom teachers, 4 of them fit that scenario. Since there are only 14 of us, you'd think they'd be welcoming of new staff. I count myself in the 14. So 4/13, or 31%, have never made an effort to even introduce themselves or say hi.

We have been through 4 secretaries this year alone. Currently a vacant position. And we've had a revolving door of paras- one position has been filled 5 times and is vacant. Two SpEd paras have left this year, too. We currently have 3 open para jobs, plus the secretary.

41. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2015

Honestly, I would go with fear of safety, which will probably be enough to get you unemployment, which you may need. You can tell a potential new employer all the other things.