How does this sound for a job description? (Please advise)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BioAngel, Feb 11, 2010.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 11, 2010

Taking the first step in searching for a new position and I'm updating my resume. I haven't touched it since student teaching though :blush:

I'm adding the following to my resume and I'm wondering what fellow teachers think about it. It's the description for the position I held as a science teacher. Should I re-word something, add something, etc??

:thanks:

-- Designed age-appropriate activities within an advisory program to help support the development of students
    -- Planned for and taught four sections of general science within the fifth grade
    -- Communicated with parents about the progress of their child within monthly contacts
    -- Attended professional development to seek growth in technology and for instructional methodology

3. BioAngel

Feb 11, 2010

I also have the following for my Skills and Interests:

SKILLS/INTERESTS
    Proficient in using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Internet navigation
    Proficient with Mac and Windows operating systems
    Maintaining online forums for discussion of various topics
    Maintaining a web-site about science education
    Capable of using Web 2.0 tools in the classroom for learning and projects, such as Wiki’s, blogs, and forums

Thoughts?

4. BioAngel

Feb 12, 2010

*bumping*

:)

5. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Feb 12, 2010

Here are a few ideas:

- Successfully taught four sections of 5th Grade general science (120 students in total)
    [Since being a science teacher was your primary responsibility, I would list this first. When we skim a document, we tend to notice numerals instead of words. Use numerals for figures that you want to emphasize. Quantifying your responsibilities and achievements is always good.]

- Communicated regularly with parents by telephone and electronic mail. Edited a classroom newsletter with Microsoft Word.
    [Be specific. If appropriate, slip in some evidence of your technology skills. Also, "monthly" sounds infrequent rather than frequent, in the context of communication with parents.]

- Was one of just 3 Fibblesnork Elementary School teachers chosen to attend Professor Smith's Wacky Teacher Technology Workshop
    - Increased student engagement by using PowerPoint animations to explain scientific processes such as respiration, photosynthesis and cell division
    OR
    - Sought training in classroom use of Microsoft Excel at my own expense
    - Tracked student progress in an Excel spreadsheet
    [Be specific about the training you received. If you were nominated for it, brag about that. If you went independently, show your initiative. Most importantly, explain how you applied what you learned.]

Re: "Designed age-appropriate activities within an advisory program to help support the development of students" and "Planned...", be much more specific. Name (if well-known) or describe (if not) two or three innovative activities that you used. Say what skills or abilities you helped the students develop. Mention the basis of your plans (state standards, a well-known science curriculum, a district-wide pacing guide, etc.)

Hope this helps!

6. BioAngel

Feb 15, 2010

Thank you bunches for your help Guest Teacher!! I'm working on the resume right now and I've added in your suggestions-- I'm honestly shocked at how much I've done in 2 years of teaching. It just feels odd... like I'm bragging about it... I'm so proud of myself though :D

7. BioAngel

Feb 15, 2010

Here's an update of what I have so far.... (more feedback appreciated):

-- Planned for and engagingly taught four sections of general science within the fifth grade (approximately 60 students) using inquiry-based curriculum (STC and FOSS)

-- Increased student engagement by using Web 2.0 tools, such as blogs, wiki’s, and discussion forums, to explain scientific processes such as germination, chemical reactions, and heat transfer

-- Designed age-appropriate activities to help support the development of students within an homeroom advisory program. Activities included “How to Prevent Cyberbullying” and “Dealing with Conflicts: Creating Win-Win Situations”

-- Communicated with parents about the progress of their child within monthly contacts (I'd like to say more about this but I'm not sure what. Thoughts??)

-- Attended ISTE’s NECC 2009 Conference to learn about technology instruction in the classroom

-- Attended the NJSTA’s Conference 2009 to learn about instruction methods and science notebooks

-- Provided technology workshops to teach educators about using Web 2.0 tools and Moodle in their classrooms in various subjects

-- Designed a class Moodle site for students and parents to use as a resource. Included daily homework assignments, a glossary, discussion forums for project planning, and science news articles to enrich the curriculum

-- Involved in school functions/fund raising functions, such as Student-Faculty Basketball fundraiser, visiting the elderly with students, and collecting school supplies for students in need

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

I think your usage of the word "within" sounds a little strange.

9. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Feb 15, 2010

You certainly have done a lot. You have reason to brag!

The new resume entries read much, much better than the original ones.

Apart from correcting the "within" booboo that Cassie753 caught, I would look for any remaining cases of vagueness and/or wordiness. Examples:

"Designed age-appropriate activities to help support the development of students within an homeroom advisory program."
    >> Consider: Designed age-appropriate activities to support my homeroom students.

"Attended...to learn about..." >> For these entries, is there a way to put the results first, and to use stronger verbs? Consider: Refined my instructional sequence based on best practices from the 2009 NJSTA Conference. Reinforced my technology skills by attending ISTE’s NECC 2009 conference. [I would recommend expanding these acronyms for clarity, by the way.]

"to use as a resource" >> This is implied.

"Involved in school functions..." >> In what ways were you involved? Consider: organized, volunteered for, sponsored, led, etc.

Hope this helps!

10. BioAngel

Feb 16, 2010

Thank you both for more clarifications :) This is why I'm not an English teacher-- I've always had difficulty with speech and I tend to run on and on.