How does theatre work in your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MikeTeachesMath, Mar 11, 2014.

?

Option...

1. A

69.2%
  2. B

7.7%
  3. C

7.7%
  4. D

15.4%
  1. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 11, 2014

I'm doing some research and if you could respond to the poll, that would be great :).

Also, if you used to have a teacher that falls under A or B, but now hired a new one (due to leave/retirement) that falls under C, let me know in the comments!

In your school, is the music/theatre teacher...

A) someone who solely teaches music and/or theatre

B) someone who teaches mainly music and/or theatre, but also teaches another subject

C) someone who teaches mainly another subject, but also teaches music and/or theatre

D) music and/or theatre are not offered

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 11, 2014

None of those options work. We have a full-time music teacher, a half-time music teacher, and four different teachers who each teach at least one section of drama. We have two different performing groups: one for straight plays and one for musicals.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 11, 2014

My school has two music teachers, a part-time band teacher, and a part time strings teacher.

I've tried twice the past two years to begin a theater program, but it hasn't worked yet. My principal tells me next year might be the year.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 11, 2014

Elementary here. It'd be easier to answer if music and theater were separate. We have a part time music teacher, and no theater. Some grade levels do plays, but it's up to the teachers to organize them, along with some parent volunteers.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 11, 2014

None of the above. Our choir teacher is the assistant director. Our art teacher directs our musical. We do one musical per year. It's our only show. I taught drama last year but no kids in class were in the show except maybe one.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2014

Grades 6-12 school. No music or theatre teacher. We had a music teacher for MS last year only and we have never had anyone for theatre.

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 11, 2014

I picked A, but the combination of music and theatre skewed my answer. We have full-time music teachers (chorus, orchestra and band), but we have no theatre teachers at all. I'm the Drama Coach, but I actually teach history; there are no drama classes.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2014

Where I went to school we had a theater teacher who taught theater class, and also directed the plays. We had a music teacher who taught music class, and also lead the marching band and pit band. And we had a choral teacher who taught chorus, and also lead the pit chorus.

10. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Mar 11, 2014

I am the theatre teacher

I teach theatre and English 10. I'll be doing public speaking and AP next year. I also run a full program-5 shows a year, no budget, 2 classes.

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Mar 11, 2014

None if the options work for my school either. Theatre is strictly extra-curricular whereas we have full time staff for both vocal and instrumental music.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 14, 2014

Do you mean putting on shows (directing) or theatre classes?
    We never had actual theatre classes. When I was in High school we had outside people come in to direct the shows (it was an extra curricular activity not a class). In Jr. high the English teacher and Music teacher directed the shows.

13. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Mar 14, 2014

None of those options work for my school. We have 4 music teachers and an English teacher that teaches theater a couple periods of the day. I think one of the music teachers does have a musical theater class though.

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 15, 2014

I picked B based solely on my high school experience... The theatre teacher taught a bit of journalism and leadership as well, but was mainly drama, and she put on the musicals. The music teacher helped a lot with music, while the art teacher and tech teachers helped with set design.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2014

Huh. We have four full-time music teachers, one full-time drama teacher, and three full-time art teachers. We're pretty lucky in that regard.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2014

I'm elementary, but it's the same in my middle school as well...we both have full time music teachers.

17. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Mar 16, 2014

The middle school I teach at has 2 full-time music teachers, one teaches band and the other teaches orchestra. Drama is also an elective, but with far fewer sections. There is 1 section in each of the 7th and 8th grades. One is taught by an English teacher and the other is taught by a Math/Science core teacher. I don't think 6th has Drama available, but I'm not positive. Most of us teach 4 sections in our subject area and an additional elective, which admin tries to align with our interests and background.