How does the "no" function work?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by amaryllis, Sep 4, 2009.

1. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

Hope this question isn't too silly, but I'm STILL unclear about this. It's a multi-part question. It mainly pertains to automated calls, since you can reason with a human being, right? Or, maybe it applies to human beings too. We don't seem to have them calling us anymore. :blush:

First question: if you get a call for a job and turn it down, after a certain number of calls, you get either deleted from the list OR knocked down lower on it, right?

That's the first thing I'm not clear about.

The second thing I'm not clear about is: does it matter if you already have another job? Is there a way to "explain" this to the automated call system?

All of our calls here are automated. There are 40 districts in my County. Only half are on Aesop though. My home district isn't on Aesop, even though it's really big, sigh.

Third part I'm not clear about is: some people have said to NOT answer the phone if you've already accepted a job. Then it doesn't show up as a "denial" and you don't get deleted, or knocked down lower, on the sub list. Is this true?

I start subbing about the beginning of October and because of the number of districts here, am exceptionally confused. I plan to sign up for about 20.

Thanks!

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2009

I don't think hanging up on the call when you don't want to accept the job for whatever reason, is recorded in the system as a "No". I don't think it's recorded at all. I also think that you won't be called for any assignments if you're already booked for that day.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2009

Also, if you can't work a certain day because your scheduled in another district or for any reasons you can usually put into the other districts systems that you're unavailable for the day and then you won't be called that day. Twenty districts would probably be too many to handle, though. I would stick to five or less.

5. Mrs.Schwartz

Mrs.Schwartz Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

I turned down a million jobs from the automated calling system last year. However, the calls never stopped coming. Occasionally I would choose to decline it, and occasionally I would just hang up, neither seemed to affect me.

The only time that denying the job affected me was after I had subbed at a school and they put me on their preferred list. Then the secretary would call and if I declined the position she was offering, then she would/could delete me from their list.

If you're only being called from the automated system, I wouldn't worry about how many times you're declining, especially with the number of districts you're with. One district won't be able to tell if you've already booked with another, unless they are on AESOP together. Plus, if a district does start to remove you from their list, they would let you know about it, and you could explain your situation then.

SS

6. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's a whole lot more clear now.

Sticking to 20 districts, however. Most are just one school and many are one room school houses at that. It's the number recommended by friends in area who have subbed here. :)

7. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 5, 2009

One room school houses? Wow, where do you live?

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2009

If they're really, really small districts I could see signing up for 20 as being a good idea. Most of the districts here have about 300-700 students per grade, so signing up for 20 would be way too many to keep organized.

9. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

Northern California... fairly rural but close to some larger metro areas as well. No idea why some of the districts are so small, but not uncommon for a school to have 30 kids and many of the classes are combined grades. And yes, some one room school houses (they're pretty quaint, IMHO).

But there are also a few high schools with 2000 kids at them. We'll see how this goes!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 5, 2009

For me, if you can't do a job, they even list reasons that you have to say & they tell you to press 1 for illness, 2 for other job, etc., so if it's sickness or some other reason beyond your control, you shouldn't be faulted for that & knocked down the sub list.

For me, having another job already is one of the reasons for not accepting the job you're currently being called about (in which case again, you shouldnt' be faulted for that).

Regarding your 3rd concern, if you feel like screening your calls to see who's calling, go ahead & do it, but that can be a hassle throughout the mos (or years). You may still want to answer your phone even if your caller ID shows your district calling because it could be a change or cancellation in your assignment. Find out what the call's about first before making any decisions.

11. azure

azure Companion

Sep 9, 2009

Around here they most certainly could remove you without letting you know.

Plus, if a district does start to remove you from their list, they would let you know about it, and you could explain your situation then.

SS[/QUOTE]

12. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 10, 2009

My understanding is that, as long as you click the option "No" w/o listenign to the job description, or do nto answer the phone, you won't get negative points.

13. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 10, 2009