How Does Teacher Assistant Pay Work?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by NewTeacher05, Aug 18, 2011.

1. NewTeacher05

NewTeacher05 Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

I have an interview tomorrow for a teacher assistant position, I would rather teacher, but I will take what I can get....its better than nothing! I was wondering how teacher assistants are paid, it appears according to my district's website as hourly employees, but what happens during the 2 weeks of Winter Break and other holidays?? Also would it be 40 hours a week? Any information is helpful :)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

Our teacher's assistants have their own union. They have a contract and are paid yearly but it is based on their hourly wage, just spread out over 12 months. They also have sick pay, personal days, and holiday pay.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

Ours are on our union. Paid hourly, different paras have different amounts of hours. Paid on the 15 and 30th of each month...we're all paid on the same schedule.

5. NewTeacher05

NewTeacher05 Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

Thank you! My state however is a non union state, so I'm curious as to how it will work without a union. I just want to make sure its enough money to live off of....the pay listed is $11.90 an hour and I currently make a dollar less than that working in retail and I barely get by (granted some weeks in retail I do not get 40 hours...) So i just want to make sure, because subbing is another option and that makes $100 a day, but it sounds like with subbing its zero benefits etc. So just trying to figure out options and such.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2011

You may not get paid for summers or vacations or even days off of school. It will really depend on your contract.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2011

You're right that subs get NO benefits. Teacher assts are considered classified rather than certificated & during the holiday vacations, just like subs, if you don't work, you don't get paid, so your pay will be less, mostly around Nov, Dec, & Mar/Apr for those 1-2 week-long breaks. At my district, they only get paid once a month too like teachers.

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 18, 2011

I'm in a different state but I get paid the same amount throughout the school year, every two weeks. So I still get the same check even if there is a vacation, day off or snow day. I get personal and sick time but no other benefits.

9. tiffbabey

tiffbabey Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

I am a paraprofessional in MA, I get paid every two weeks, the same salaried amount, whether we are on vacation or not, but do not get paid over the summer. We get personal days and sick days, as well as all other benefits such as health and life insurance, if we choose to sign up for it. Paraprofessional positions are not usually forty hours a week because schools do not run for forty hours, my position is for about 33 hours, from 7:45-2:30 M-F.

10. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 19, 2011

In my area, most assistants/aide/paras are paid hourly so they don't get paid when school is not in session.