How does subbing work?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by amyece, Jun 14, 2014.

1. amyece

amyece Rookie

Jun 14, 2014

I am currently a Pre-K parapro in a private setting. I am finishing up my associates degree in early childhood this summer and then beginning a night program for my bachelors in early childhood. I have been advised by some that subbing would be a good idea for me to get into the public school system and would be good experience.
    I do not make much at my current job, but it is full time.
    If I decide to sub can anyone tell me how that works? Do they call you and ask if you want the job? Can you say no? Can you request only elementary? Do you work more than a couple of days a week?
    I agree the experience would be good but not sure that giving up my full time job makes sense. :confused:

I am in Georgia.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

Different districts do it different ways. In all of my subbing, I've always been able to do elementary only if I wanted, with the understanding that I might not sub as much.
    You can turn down a job, or simply make yourself unavailable on a certain day.
    My first time around, I subbed for one district because subbing for two was too difficult- I always got called when I was already working. I subbed all grade levels and subject areas. I spent a lot of time in SpEd because people would refuse. I spent at least 1/2 my time at the high school. I subbed about 3 days a week. 4 if I was lucky.

The second time I subbed, they outsourced. I was registered for over 20 districts and they used an online system. I subbed every day and only in elementary. Sometimes I had to drive to another county, but I preferred lining my jobs up ahead of time so I was guaranteed a job. Of course, I was an experienced teacher by this time and I was put on many preferred lists. I don't think I would have been as successful as a newbie. I would have had to take HS jobs or work in less desirable districts.

Both places I've worked in, teachers do their own calling. It stinks. People tell me know and I can't tell if they are already working or not to save calling those that are. Terrible systems.

4. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Jul 1, 2014

I sub in Gwinnett County. I look up jobs on Aesop and decide if I want the or not.
    Some districts do not use a system and a person calls you to ask if you can sub. I can work almost everyday if I am willing to work at different schools. I made 12K last year subbing, while it isn't a lot, I have the flexibility to work when I want.
    Good Luck in your career plans