How does student teaching impact future job options?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by veg_guy, Jun 3, 2005.

1. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jun 3, 2005

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions about how student teaching experiences impact future job options.

1) The majority of my student teaching will likely take place at a private school. I'm just wondering how that will impact my chances of getting a future teaching job at a public school. Do public schools care where you've done your student teaching or are they mostly interested in hiring quality teachers? Anyone have any experience with this?

2) Most of my student teaching experience will likely take place in 1st grade. Again, I'm wondering how that will impact future job possibilities. Will I mostly be limited to the lower grades (k-2) or will schools also consider me for higher grades (3-5). Again, if anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd be intersted in hearing them.

Thanks!

3. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 3, 2005

Most school systems do not care where you have done your student teaching (unless of course you have done it in a setting that isn't anywhere near reality) Ie a classroom with 5 kids :) What principals care about is your enthusiasm and knowledge.

The principal will look at how you answer the interview questions and place you in the grade they think is best. I interviewed for a Kindergarten position and he asked me to teach 3rd and I love it!

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 3, 2005

The only way it might effect your job options is because in many school districts, there aren't very many available jobs, and student teaching in a district means you get to know people and are able to get your foot in the door. I do not think principals would look down on a private school student teaching experience though. You just wouldn't have those contacts in the public school districts.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2005

I have to disagree here. Many of my education major friends at college were hired to teach, or at least long-term sub, at schools where they did student teaching. I wasn't, but I can think of at least 10 that were. Student teaching in an area where you'd like to teach increases your chances of finding a job in that area. I don't think it's impossible, or even unlikely, that you'll be hired in a certain district without having experience there, but I do think knowing people in the schools (which you get when student teaching) is very beneficial.

If there is time after you graduate, or on winter break, or something, you may want to attempt to substitute in the schools where you hope to teach. That'll give you some of those contacts that you'll need.

As for grades in which you've student taught, I don't think it matters. They'll hire you for any grade for which you hold certification.
    Kim

6. jnation

jnation Companion

Jun 3, 2005

I don't think where you student teach has much of an effect on the job you get afterwards. I student taught in a jr. high/high school resource classroom for kids with learning disabilities, but the job I ended up getting is a self-contained class for students with emotional and behavioral disorders. I definitely think the most important thing to determine your job is your enthusiasm and knowledge about teaching and your overall willingness to accept a challenge.
    Good luck and don't worry too much about your student teaching experience. You are getting experiences with students, and that is more important than the grade and school you are placed in!
    Jen

7. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jun 4, 2005

I think that the answer to this question depends on whether or not you are in an area where there is a teacher shortage. If you are in an area of high competition and few jobs then it does matter where you do your student teaching. It is really important to get your name out there in the public schools if that is where you want to work. Networking is one of the most important aspects in getting a job. I had a friend that took a position teaching in private school while she was student tecahing. She regrets it completely because after that semester getting paid it took her another year to get a job in a public district. As for grade level, I think it's important that you have a wide variety of experiences with all levels. I did my student tecahing in fifth grade, but since I did subbing and other education related activities I got hired for a first grade position. If the job market where you live is anything like here in Missouri, then you want to make sure you take every opportunity to get a job.

8. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jun 4, 2005

Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I can certainly understand the importance of knowing people in a school or district as a way to get your "foot in the door". Hopefully some of my student teaching will be in a public school. Plus I've volunteered at a couple of public schools in the area (putting in 100+ hours in both schools) so I've met a few people at those places.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2005

Veg_guy, seems to me you've had something to say about CSET, which suggests you're in California. Let me suggest you take your question about student teaching to the local county office of education - see if there's a credential analyst or teacher recruitment/retention honcho who will give you a straight answer.

10. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jun 4, 2005

Yes TeacherGroupie I'm in CA though not necessarily committed to staying here long term. Anyway, I think making some calls is a good idea. Thanks!

11. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 4, 2005

Come to Florida! My school just hired in 3 just graduated college grads from.... oh state starting with M(now I cant remember.) My county alone has 212 openings. The larger county nextdoor has way more than that. Last estimate I heard said they hired over 800 new teachers so far.

12. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jun 5, 2005

Yes, I've heard that FL needs teachers. Unfortunately, FL is a state that I have very little interest in. :)

13. wacomac

wacomac Rookie

Jun 5, 2005

I would say no. It is not where you are ST. :angel: