How does salary work if you start mid year?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by admoore, Dec 17, 2013.

1. admoore

admoore Rookie

Dec 17, 2013

Hey guys,

I just got a job offer for a teaching position starting in January. I was wondering how my salary would work since I am starting mid year. Will I still get paid over the summer? If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.

Thank You!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 17, 2013

I started last April. They figured out how many days I would be working and divided it per pay period, which was 3 paychecks. They did ask me if I wanted a 12 month or 11 month paycheck. (I asked for 11)

4. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 17, 2013

Typically when you sign your paperwork, they'll ask how you want your paycheck divided. If you want to be paid over the summer, they'll divide your check by 11 months or 12 months or whatever it is. So then, they deduct a certain amount each month from your paycheck and you get that deducted money over the summer.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2013

Our yearly pay is divided out to twice a month for ten months...in my district you'd get paid at your step for what's left of the school year.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 1, 2014

It's prorated for what's left of the year. Whether or not you get paid over the summer varies. Make sure you ask so you know whether or not you need to put money aside for the summer.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 1, 2014

Mine was #days of the contract X daily rate, then they split that between the months left in the contract. You will have to ask though, districts handle it differently.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2014

I started in January and got paid for the summer. In our district, we don't get a choice. Our pay is spread over 12 months and 13 months if it is your first year. So they took the prorated pay and divided it by eight because I got paid in January, too. Our step pay or raise begins in September.

9. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 1, 2014

I was hired in January last year, first as a long-term sub (for technical reasons; but the position I took was permanent) for which I was paid as a long-term sub. Then when my contract was approved by the school board (about 3 weeks after I began teaching), my salary started and was prorated for what remained of the year. I chose to have my paychecks spread out through the summer.