How does one choose a doctor...???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jun 25, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

So, I just found out that I am pregnant. :) I'm only a few weeks along, so we're in the very early stages.

I called my doctor's office today, and they said that they would like to see me in about 6 weeks. The lady on the phone asked me which OBGYN I would like to go with (I currently see a nurse practitioner as my primary care physician). She said that there are 14 different ones at their office, and referred me to the website to choose one, and then get back to her. Looking at the website, I have no idea who to pick. They all look the same on paper (same credentials, board certified, etc.).

I would usually ask for recommendations from friends in the area, but we obviously don't want to tell people that I'm pregnant yet, since anything could happen at this point. I feel like it's a pretty important decision, too. Any suggestions as to how to choose?

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

Congratulations! You can google the names and see their reviews on different sites. Of course, there will be some negative reviews of any doctor, but when it pops up across several sites from many different patients, it's a red flag. I would also ask a few closer family and friends.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2014

Congratulations!

Could you ask friends without telling them you are pregnant? Say you need to find a new gynecologist? I've asked more than once about who to go to, so I wouldn't find it weird if someone asked me.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

Thanks, I just found a site called RateMDs.com and many of them are on it.

Unfortunately, I don't have any close family or friends in the area to ask. :( Just co-workers, and the ones that I'm closest with don't have kids yet.

This site looks like it will be pretty helpful, though!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2014

Your coworkers probably have GYNs even if they haven't had kids...

7. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 25, 2014

Did you ask your nurse practitioner? Since she already knows you, she might have an idea which one may click for you.

8. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jun 25, 2014

Are their pictures posted on the website? Sounds silly, but sometimes your gut reaction to their picture is a big help.
    Also, you can change if you don't like the one you start with. After all, you have at least 7 more months to go!!

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

That's a good idea, too, thanks!

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 25, 2014

If you look up the office on yelp there are probably reviews that mention specific doctors.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 25, 2014

Congratulations! If there are 14 doctors in the practice, chances are they will rotate you through different doctors during the course of your pregnancy so it may not matter a ton. I would also ask the nurse practitioner who she recommends.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2014

:yeahthat:

Congrats!!

13. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 26, 2014

This, and :celebrate:!!!!!

14. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 26, 2014

Congrats.

Follow the same policy when looking at any other kind of doctor - look at where they got their degrees and where they did their training - see how the programs/hospitals they went to are rated in their specialty and check sites like Healthgrades and RateMDs - but don't put too much weight on those reviews, as sometimes one person with a bad experience will spam those sites.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2014

Congratulations!!!

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2014

Congrats!!

My first doctor, I didn't get to choose. We had to go to the military hospital and I had a different doctor every visit. We moved when I was 32 weeks and I got to choose my next doctor. I asked friends for recommendations, but I was pretty far along at that point. I was excited to get to actually choose, but then my doctor didn't even deliver my baby. Of course he came the week she was out of town!

If you choose one and end up not liking them, you could always switch.