How does anyone afford day care?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by SuperFudge, Oct 25, 2010.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2010

Congrats on your pregnancy! I am in the same boat as I am due in just over a week and will only be home until some time in February. We are using an in-home sitter who charges $35 a day, which is roughly $700 a month. She is licensed through the state and all of the teachers in my district who use her (including my best friend) love her. She only has 5 kids, which makes me very happy.

We looked around for a while and hoped to have family do it, but it just didn't work out. However, both my dad and my mil are our emergency sitters when we need them. Good luck!!

2. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 1, 2010

I should add that my sitter is available 24/7 = ) The minimum per day is 3 hours and over breaks I have to pay a min. of $55 which is for 25 hours in order to reserve the spot. It's ok by me especially since she is available 24/7!!!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 1, 2010

I posted here already, but when one of my aunt's 3 kids were young, she'd have to work 2 jobs being a single mother & she actually left her kids w/ her parents (my grandparents) M-F & pretty much had them just on weekends. She paid her mother & treated her to all kinds of things as a payback. She did what she had to do, even though I wish she hadn't had to do that.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 2, 2010

The way my parents afforded it is that when I was very young, like between the ages of infant to about 3, I stayed with my Aunt. She babysat about six other little kids too. Then, when I was a little older, my parents had had time to save up money to pay for me to go to a nice daycare center.

Right now, my coworker's little girl goes to a daycare center that is run by the county. Because of that, she gets a discount. Also, in high school, our Child Development Class ran a daycare, so a lot of young parents would sign their children up.

It was actually quite professional and I really enjoyed it. The parents did not have to pay for it and the children would be with our class in the morning for snack and other activities, then they'd take a nap during the Child Development teacher's planning period, then get up and play/learn some more with the next class.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 2, 2010

My HS had something like that Em_Catz. It was a half-day preschool, though.

4 periods of the class were taught.

Kids were there from 9-11:45 for two classes (and the teachers prep) and the second group of kids was there from 11:45-1:30 for two classes. The students were in small groups and designed the lessons plans and the teacher approved them.

It was a great class.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 2, 2010

When my kids were very little, and I was working only for the college, I would take them to work with me. Different professors would pass them around during their respective office hours during the times I was teaching. It worked well for me, though I do have to wonder if their wise-beyond-their-years vocabularies have anything to do with the fact that they were essentially raised through their preschool years by a bunch of college professors :lol:

7. diana

diana Rookie

Nov 3, 2010

The cost of daycare is depressing. I haven't been able to land a regular teaching job yet, so I looked into subbing. It pays $88 a day, which I thought was good...until I found out that daycare would cost me $75 a day (plus a $90 registration fee). I'm considering in-home daycare providers, but with my youngest child being such a handful, I'm afraid they'd lose their patience.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 3, 2010

I think a person's best bet is family, and if that isn't an option, look at in-home daycare. A family I know takes their youngest to an older lady who charges $2/hour, and she's awesome! Of course, with a center there is usually a smaller ratio, and there are other adults in the room, which would make me more comfortable. Newborn care is so expensive, and I know that $1,000/month is typical in Wisconsin.

Best of luck to you!

9. KDS

KDS Companion

Nov 3, 2010

no one kill me or flame my in box. I put Taylor in an in-home state sanctioned day care that was about $200 a month. And she fed him a full (hot) breakfast and lunch. When i had to stay late at school, she would keep him and give him supper. She wanted to keep him half the time! :)
    It was part of the
    Naval base in the area--Child Development Homes. Both hubby and I are teachers and have military in the family, but that was NEVER an issue. We managed to just fall into the luck and i dont think Taylor would be doing as well without Mrs Wuster. Who has moved to North Dakota and broke my son's heart. But he was already in school at that time.

Perhaps you can call and ask them. The link below seems to be for the places on base, but if you can find a contact, you can say you heard about an in home CDH in the Kingsville, Tx area.

http://www.navylifepnw.com/site/127/Child-Development-Homes.aspx

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 3, 2010

Where in North Dakota? I could use a Ms. Wuster!

11. KDS

KDS Companion

Nov 5, 2010

lemme see if i can find her. If i do, i will PM you and try and get you two together. She was GOLD to us.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 5, 2010

Oh, that would be fabulous! I really need somebody trustworthy. Things are working out okayish, but it could be better...

13. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Nov 7, 2010

It is so expensive. Half my pay goes to daycare but I keep reminding myself that daycare costs only last for a few years, while building my resume and finding a secure job will help me until I retire.
    Next year my older daughter starts kindergarten so that will cut our bills in half. I can't imagine having that extra money every month but I am sure it will disappear. ;)