How does anyone afford day care?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by SuperFudge, Oct 25, 2010.

1. SuperFudge

SuperFudge Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

I'm really freaking out. I'm pregnant and I have to find day care for my child. Most day care centers charge about $1,000 per month! I cannot afford that.I'm wondering how costly baby sitters or home care givers cost. Any advice. Please help as I'm freaking out!!!

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

Honestly, I don't know how anyone affords day care. When my twin girls were infants, we enrolled them in a day care for $1,500 per month each. I had another career that paid well, but no matter how much one makes, that's the size of a mortgage! We found a nanny who made $1,200 per month and was wonderful with the babies. Ultimately, though, we ended up taking over the care ourselves. My husband stayed home for almost two years, then I did (and made a career change at the same time). My girls are now with me at the school where I teach. They hang out in my room instead of going to the onsite daycare because it cost $1,040 for them to go three hours per day four days per week. Wow.

Best of luck. I know many people find a way to pay for it, but it is definitely a lot of money.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 25, 2010

I don't know either. I don't have kids yet and that is probably the number one reason! If my mom retires soon then maybe she can babysit while I'm at work but it would kill me for most of my paycheck to go to daycare.

5. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 25, 2010

I don't know - it is crazy! I would look into home care. I know in our area there are a lot of sitters who cater to teachers. They are more affordable and don't charge for days off/summer vacations. We are also a military area so a lot of stay at home moms will babysit at a reasonable rate, too.

That's the reason why I'm staying home with our little one when he's born - my whole paycheck would go to pay for day care otherwise, and that's just not worth it to me!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2010

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!

To be honest, that's not a horrible price; it's what I paid 12 years ago for my son.

When my daughter came along, I quit teaching for 5 years. The combination of $1800 per month (sibling discount) in childcare and a teacher's salary simply did not mix.

My county runs a daycare referral service. You let them know what you're looking for (size, location, hours....) and they'll give you a list of licensed daycare providers.

For what it's worth, I chose a large center for a number of reasons:
    - I wanted a licensed, insured center
    - If I was going to trust strangers to care for my son, I wanted some sort of checks and balances. I figured that problems could happen anywhere. But that in a center, at least there were other eyes on the daycare provider. Everyone working in the center was fingerprinted.
    - I didn't want to be stuck for care if the primary provider got sick.
    -minor point, but only licensed daycare is tax deductible (Don't know whether or not that still applies)

I actually found a magnificent center, across the street from school as it turns out. The kids went for a walk every single day; if the weather was inclement, they went up to the atrium with a waterfall and lots of tropical plants. I never ever went into that center and didn't see one of the teachers playing with the one or two kids who didn't want to do what the group was doing. I liked the adult;child ratio, the way parents had to be buzzed in, and the fact that the overwhelming majority of the parents worked upstairs. That meant that any parent might pop in at any time. Even if I weren't that parent, it meant that the daycare providers had to assume a parent would be popping in.

Also, I loved the physical setup. It was a huge semicircle, with the director's office a few steps up at the center. From her office, she could see every single child in the place. And my first impression of her was wonderful (justifiably so).

Other things you'll want to look into:
    -hours. Teachers start early, so you need an early drop off.
    - parking. You only need it for a few minutes, but you want it convenient.
    - do you have to pay for July and August to hold your place in the center?

7. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Oct 25, 2010

My mom has helped all my sisters and now my niece babysit all of the kids. My niece gives her $60 a week for two kids, thats a rip off if you ask me. That doesn't even include the food those kids eat. At one point my sisters were giving her 30 for 4 kids a week, thats nothing. My mom is 68 and shouldn't have to be doing it anymore, but i think its what keeps her going.

Check into government services, if you qualify they help pay for it. Maybe its not something you want to go into, but if its a help, why not take it.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 25, 2010

I don't know how a lot of people do it. It's seriously the major reason why my husband and I don't have a child yet. We just can't afford another $1500-$2000 a month and if I quit my job to stay home, we couldn't pay all of our bills on just my husband's salary (or vice versa).

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

Beth, I know, right? We actually took a student loan for me to change careers, but most of the money went to paying bills while I went to school and didn't have a salary. We knew what we were doing, but we had to go into debt to finance my dream job.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 25, 2010

We were only able to afford it because I worked at the child care center with my kids. I only made $10/hr when I started but both kids get free tuition which would have cost $16K per year. The youngest was 2 at the time so they were both out of the most expensive rooms (rates go down the most for age 3 and up as the ratio of child to teacher is much higher than in infant and toddler rooms). Anyway, if I were to have a baby right now it would definitely be a massive financial challenge for us to pay for child care. Also no centers open until 7am around here and both dh and I need to hit the road by 6:15 as we both teach high school and have decent commutes.

How do people do it? I'm not sure but I think that the ones who make too much to qualify for government aid, but too little to afford the regular rate usually need to find less expensive home care.

My kids are now 8 and 10 and we're still paying $700 a month because we need a morning sitter. That won't stop for at least 4 more years unless one of us switches out of high school and can be home for a lot longer in the morning.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2010

Mine are 7, 10, and 12.

Brian leaves just before me in the morning, so he doesn't count :)

It costs us $1100 a month to have someone come for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2010

Wow!! Here childcare is only about $400-$500 a month. I worked at the daycare after school hours so the rate was discounted. I'm not sure if we would have been able to do it otherwise. I was only able to work a few hours a week while student teaching.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2010

Woah, $1k/month?! This is a real eye opener. I don't have kids yet so I have no idea how much childcare costs. My parents were able to afford for my mom to stay home w/ me until I was old enough to go to school, then my mom worked part-time so she could take me & pick me up from school. I NEVER had a babysitter or had to go to childcare in my life, but I know not all families can do that.

I have no idea how parents do it. The couple either has to save up for yrs or the husband must have a good enough job where the mom can stay home w/ the child.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

Or the dad can stay home... like mine did for almost two years while I brought home the bacon.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

Yes, child care is expensive. In smaller towns it seems to be less expensive. Try to find a government or school sponsored center. They are sometimes less expensive.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 25, 2010

For babysitting, you may want to use www.sittercity.com

You can post a want ad, essentially, people apply, and then you pick whoever you want (and some sitters/nannies choose to purchase a background check, to make themselves be more appealing to potential employers)

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 25, 2010

it is nutty! even an in home sitter, we paid 1200 a month for childcare! It seems like it never ends, we still pay over 1,000 a month - private preschool and 45 minutes of aftercare for the other two. it is killing me!

18. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 25, 2010

i pay 400/month. one child. home daycare

19. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

I got really lucky. A lady in my neighborhood runs a licensed daycare in her home and only watches teachers' kids. I am only going to pay 160.00 a week, and she does not charge for days off and summer break. See if your county has a child care association. I contacted them and they sent my information out to all of their registered daycare providers to see who had available openings in my price range.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 25, 2010

Baby care at my school is 2k a month. I understand why, but it's still outrageous.

21. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2010

Most daycares around here open at 6 a.m. and the price of average daycares is probably $250 a week for a so/so center - it drops significantly after 2 years of age, if that helps.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 25, 2010

Seriously, I think I'm in the wrong business.

23. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 26, 2010

I was very fortunate in that my mom kept my kids. If I had had to have paid for daycare, it would not have been worth it. Both of my kids are grown now - my daughter is married, and my son just gave his girlfriend a ring. I am the proud Mom!! :p

24. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2010

We were at $1800 a month for 3.

I stayed teaching for the benefits: health, dental, and retirement.

If your children do not attend achool with you, before/after school care is $100 a week for all three.

My grandma does before school for us and insists on a hot breakfast daily. :wub: We give her $200 cash for pay and $200 grocery card per month.

25. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Oct 26, 2010

75% of my paycheck will go to daycare costs when the time comes and at that point we are sitting here asking our selves if it's worth it or if I should stay home. One thing we are looking at is how our tax rate will change without my income. Otherwise, my extra 25% is just paying for a little extra cushion and it might be possible for me to make that up somewhere else.

Daycare is about 1,500/mo here for a center and 1,000 for homecare.

26. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 26, 2010

Wow! I didn't realize it was so expensive now.

27. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2010

I stayed home for 8 years with my kids - heaven! Will pay for it now by having to work longer when my friends are retiring but it was totally worth the sacrifices. I highly recommend it. It breaks my heart to see the quality of many daycares out there.

Also...imo infants do not belong in most daycares. A 1 to 4 ratio is not enough for infants! They need to be held and cuddled and talked to and sang to a whole lot more than 1 person can do looking after 4 infants.

Also, look at the philosophy of the daycare and stay and watch. Look for ones that are relationship based and play-based. A person that will get on the floor and play and cuddle is a lot more important to the emotional development of a toddler and preschooler than learning the alphabet. The kids need to think their caregivers CARE about them!

28. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 26, 2010

The price of child care in your area is really dependent on where you are. My babysitter charges $75 a week per child and that is for any age. She has been a Godsend for us since we moved to a town in which we have no family.

29. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 26, 2010

This site is how we have found our morning sitters and we have always been happy with the results. Hopefully the one we have this year will stay with us for many more. Our last three only lasted a year each for various reasons (no reason directly related to us our our children!) and it would be nice to not have to find a new one for a while.

30. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 26, 2010

I have been the director of many day cares. Even at $1000 a month, it is tough to break even, let alone get a profit. You have to pay someone for 12 plus hours a day, someone has to clean, cook, and maintain the place.

31. daisyfoot

daisyfoot Rookie

Oct 26, 2010

In addition to what Blue said, you need to add in the cost of insurance. One of the reasons infant care costs more is the insane insurance that drops a bit after 1 and considerably after 2. That's the #1 reason our school doesn't do infants.

On a side note - when I was a live-in nanny, I made $1,200/week. As a K5 teacher at a daycare/preschool, I now make $320/week. I'm certainly not having kids anytime soon!

32. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Oct 26, 2010

I'm currently receiving a stipend for daycare since my husband is deployed. Plus, in the area in which we live, daycare isn't too expensive. There was one place that wanted to charge an extra $7.50 a week because he would have to be there before 7:00. No thanks!

33. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 26, 2010

Luckily my parents didn't have to worry with daycare with me and my brother.

my mom worked for my step-grandfather in the audio-visual company based in his basement and my grandmother would take care of us.

And my mom could work whatever hours. Although the job wasn't that good (He still owes my mom around 10k in wages). My mom would get her paychecks sometimes in the form of objects, such as a new oven.

One time she got a microwave as a bonus.

34. rubis2006

rubis2006 Guest

Oct 27, 2010

My mom runs a daycare in Maine and she doesnt charge that much, not even close. I dont know if it is because of the area that we are in or not. But, she doesnt charge anywhere near that. If you took your kid there from 7 in the morning until 3 in the afternoon the week would cost you 140 dollars. Which equates out to 560 dollars a month. She is reasonable to the area.

35. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Oct 27, 2010

Wow, some places are expensive!!!

My youngest just started school but for three years we paid $15 a day for a total of $75 a week. The sitter only watched 3 other children during the day, and she sitter provided all the food. She had a touch screen computer for the kids and received a grant for play equipment in the back yard. I guess I got lucky! :)

36. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Oct 27, 2010

I pay 80.00 a week for one kid, but he is school age. I drop him off at the daycare in the morning and they feed him breakfast. They take him to school and pick him up in the afternoon. It's not a bad deal. When I was in college and working full-time (he was 2 and up), I was on an assistance program that helped with the cost of daycare. It went by my income. Thank goodness for that....not sure how I would have made it without it.

37. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 27, 2010

I have no idea what costs of daycare are around here. My mom lives 5 miles down the street and I'm hoping she'll be retired by the time we have kids...but I'm not so sure that will happen! I think she's at least 4 years away from that...and we're wanting to have a baby in the next 2 years tops.

But with that said, my husband and I will be making more money...and living in our same house with our same mortgage...so hopefully something will work out!

38. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 31, 2010

My daughter pays about $700 a month for her son to go to a day care attached to an Ivy League University. It is a super place, and the staff is terrific. She cut her yearly expense by having me babysit over the summer months and only sending him enough to keep his spot.

39. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2010

Daycare is super expensive. We had a friend babysit for us (she was friends with my husband's family) and since she was a babysitter and not a licensed daycare, it was much cheaper. I don't think we could have afforded it back then. Even when our daughter was in preschool, the most we could afford was 3-4 days.

40. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Nov 1, 2010

Ouch, good luck. I've always been around people where at least one spouse could change up their shift.

Such as one works days, the other nights or evenings.

It's so expensive though if you can't swing that, and if you do -- you rarely see each other for those years.

Best of luck.

41. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Nov 1, 2010

My son will be going to an in-home place in another two weeks. She charges 180 a week. Daycare centers around here charge 200 a week, that's the norm. It's quite expensive but my sitter only charges for the days he's there and doesn't charge for vacations, snowdays, or make us pay over the summer. Centers around here charge year round for teachers kids to keep their spots.