How does a new reading basal fit into guided reading?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by tripletsteacher, May 26, 2008.

1. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

May 26, 2008

I am interviewing at a school next week for first grade. This school is adopting a new basal reading book but also practices guided reading and reading recovery. How do they all fit together. When I taught guided reading during subbing, students would come to the teacher table with different sets of books based on ability while the other children worked at reading centers. I am just unsure how a basal fits into this. thanks

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 26, 2008

A lot of schools use a balanced literacy approach that incorporates both guided reading and whole group lessons. Perhaps the whole group lessons use the basal readers while the guided reading lessons use the leveled readers. Just a thought. Good luck with the interview!

4. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2008

The basal program offers little books to go along with the stories, so that might help :) I don't know if it does

5. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 27, 2008

Hi,

I think many schools are going to this approach.

The basal is for shared reading and large group instruction. The little books are for guided reading on the student's level.

I've done that before and it works quite well.

Kelly :)

6. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 27, 2008

In our school, we have a Reading block that is 2 hours. The first 40 minutes of instruction is whole group and uses the basal. The rest of the time is geared toward centers and guided reading - the teacher chooses smaller books for the groups to read that are based on their reading levels (where the basal is not).
    Hope that helps a little.

7. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

May 27, 2008

yep...i agree with the above posters. the basal is for whole group instruction. then you take what you taught them as a whole and break them into groups based on their level and teach further on the lesson. or you teach what they need from previous lessons.

good luck!