how does a group interview work?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kassrose, May 25, 2010.

1. kassrose

kassrose Companion

May 25, 2010

I have a group interview in a few weeks. Does anyone know how this works? Are they going to ask us all the same questions? Will they address us as a group and then interview us one on one?

Help!

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 26, 2010

I've done 2 group interviews. Both of them were fairly informal due to it being a group. The interviewer had us each tell a little about ourselves, they then asked us each a question. One of the interviews was for a tutoring company so they had us each "teach" a concept to the interviewer so she could see how we would do in a tutoring situation. The group interview was more of a screening process. The people that they were interested in were then asked back to do a more formal one on one interview where we were asked more questions, etc.

4. kassrose

kassrose Companion

May 27, 2010

So, how can I make myself stand out?

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 27, 2010

by your confidence and stellar answers... in other word,s teh same way you stand out in any other interview :)

6. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 27, 2010

Make sure you aren't a wallflower during the interview. You don't want to be overly assertive/rude but you also don't want to sit back and be ignored. During my last interview, there were people who talked way too much and interjected over other people's answers, and there were a few who never said anything or took the initiative to get involved until the interviewer "made" them. I made sure to answer their questions fully without taking up more than my fair share of the time and when the time came to volunteer to teach a concept I jumped right in. I was then given another more formal interview.

7. kassrose

kassrose Companion

May 27, 2010

Thanks! Great suggestions!