How does a Floater Position work for a sub?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by myownwoman, Jan 29, 2009.

1. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 29, 2009

Hi all. I have an assignment next Tuesday as a Floater. It's for the whole school day in an elementary school.

I will call the school, but can anybody tell me what I will be expected to do?

Thanks!:)

3. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Jan 29, 2009

Most likely you will be in several classrooms at different times during the day. We use floaters when we have consultants come in and meet with each grade level for about an hour or two. So you might be in a a K class, then and hour or so later be in 5th. Just be prepared for any and all grade levels, but most of all have fun and enjoy the ride!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 29, 2009

Basically they will assign you wherever they need you throughout the day. You'll be "on call."

5. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 29, 2009

Oh that sounds like I will have an interesting day!

Thanks.

6. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jan 29, 2009

In my experiences at a floater, you might be split between two rooms for the day, or it could be as many as six. In one school where I worked as a floater, it was so teachers could attend IEP meetings, so I would be in one room for as little as a half hour or as much as two hours. Then I would move on to a different room.

When I was a floater in a middle school I was split among four different teachers and spent two periods in each room.

7. teachnfl

teachnfl Rookie

Jan 29, 2009

myownwoman, I remember when I subbed as a "floater" teaching science.....it was nerve-wracking because I had 30 min in the morning to put together my science lesson and I had to quickly put everything on a cart to wheel to each class at a certain time ( according to my schedule for the day).
    I was dropping things in the hallways trying to keep things from flying off the cart....and I had students help me with the door too.
    The wheels were constantly getting stuck on the thresholds of the doors and I had to pick the cart up and it would slam down on the floor with a BANG!!! lol:dizzy:
    The students would jump up to help but I had to reassure them, "I got it....umm....everything's under control!" :lol:
    By the 4th or 5th time you teach the lesson, you'll be a pro!
    Personally, I like being in ONE class the whole day....it goes more smoothly.
    Hope your day goes GREAT!! Keep us posted!! :thumb:

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 29, 2009

I always pick up the "floater" jobs when I see them pop up on Aesop. I think they're FUN!

When I check in at the office, the secretary hands me my schedule for the day. Usually I am in one classroom for an hour - more or less. I always have a scheduled lunch break time. Usually, I am not assigned any "duties" to cover that day, but once in a while they'll give me one.

The teachers know that I'm coming, so they leave me something easy and fun to do with the kids.

If a particular meeting gets cancelled, I am often sent to the library for that assigned time period. I help out with checking books in/out or put books back on the shelf.

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 29, 2009

You will check in at the office. They should have a sheet that says what classes you go to at what time. Then you just go from one room to another. Do not worry if your teacher is not back at the time on the paper. You will not be expected to relive the next teacher until she comes back. Usually they use a floater so they dont have to get several subs for a lets say 5-10 min meeting. Also ask the office staff what class or time you will eat lunch otherwise you might miss it. Sometimes you go with a class before the teacher comes back and other times they give a 30 min break in between meetings so teachers and subs can eat a bite.

10. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jan 30, 2009

Floater days are my favorite days. I usually float among two to five classrooms throughout the day. I wish I could get them more often.

Sometimes, however, what is referrred to as a floater day, also known as "rover" or "various" is not what I expect, so I try not to get my hopes up.

I was looking forward to my " various" days today and tomorrow, but was dissappointed when the secretary told me it wasn't really a floater day, but was entered as "various" only because the school did not know at the time what class I would have.

At another school, I thought on two occasions I was a floater, but it turned out the teacher was the one floating, so I was in her class all day.

When I do actually float, it is usually to fill in for teachers who must attend SST meetings on campus with parents to devise and discuss an academic plan of attack for poor performing students.

11. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 30, 2009

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments!

I will let you all know how it goes.

If I like 'floating' enough, I hope to do it more often. I will definitely let the secretary know.

Have a great Friday everyone!

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2009

We have a floater sub every wednesday to cover different teachers for special ed meetings etc. They go where they are needed....

13. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 30, 2009

Which is perfectly fine with me.

14. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 31, 2009

Since I will be 'floating' into and out of classrooms, would I need to bring my sub bag? Or would the teachers have stuff for their kids to do?

It would be a hassle lugging that heavy bag filled with all this stuff for the kids, in and out of classrooms.

Thanks!

15. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

When I have been assigned as a floater, I bring my bag with me to each of the classes.

Since I may go from one class to another, I have to take a minute or two to read the directions from the teacher and get my bearings. During that time I will tolerate quite discussion among the students.

The work load varies. Some days are busy, others days minimal work.
    Usually I am there to cover a full period class. Occasionally I cover for the teacher that may have to leave the room for a short time.

Sounds like the term "floater" has various meanings at different schools.

16. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 31, 2009

When I float, I travel as "light" as possible. I go through my bag and only bring the minimum stuff that I'll need for the day. The teachers should know that they'll be out for an hour (more or less), so they should be prepared for you.

I carry my purse with me - and my coat - and my lunch bag.
    The teacher will have her/his stuff in the classroom that day, so there often isn't a lot of space for your things. I just find a little corner to stash my things for the short time I'll be there.

Bring the bare minimum you'll need.

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

I've been working as a floater at a High School. I say travel light, but have your bag in your trunk in case a teacher calls in sick and you end up in an all-day position.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 31, 2009

Everyone described what a floating sub does, so I won't reiterate. I've never had to be a floater ever (which honestly, I'm glad of), but one thing's for sure, your day won't be dull!

Have a good time!

19. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 1, 2009

Thanks everybody!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 1, 2009

As an aide, I've done it a few times but not on a regular basis. Sometimes we get pulled to go into classes we've never been in and jump around if there is a shortage of staff for the day. It's kind of fun.

21. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

In the 12 years I have been subbing, I have never carried a sub bag.

I have never seen any other subs carry one either.

I do however carry a sub cart in my car, but I rarely need it because there are enough materials in the classroom that i can use.

When I have been a floater, the teacher has always been in the classroom waiting for me to give brief instructions before he/she attends their meeting, so i always know what to do.

If I have finished the lesson before the teacher returns, I extend the lesson by having students respond to questions on their whiteboards.
    Elementary kids love using their whiteboards, and it keeps them all engaged.

22. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 1, 2009

I don't bring things for the students to do - no worksheets or word searches, etc.

I carry - a bag of personal stuff (comb, mirror, lotion, kleenex), a school box (pencils, red pen, dry erase markers, pen, scissors, etc.), a spiral tablet of paper, a folder with a calendar for each month with my schedule marked, magazines, a clip board, and a few other things.
    I have needed all of those things at one time or another.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 1, 2009

For the elementary set, I tend to have a list of games in my head that I can play on any moments notice to fill in the time. Sometimes I might look for clues in the teacher's room. For example, the other day I noticed a BIG BOOK for science. I used those words to play a "look for words within a word" type word puzzle. I simply displayed the word on the board then asked them what the word meant. Then we went digging for other words we could find within that word. I played too. They all wanted to compete to see if they could beat my number of words (rather than against each other). Then I picked another word. (P.S. I did ask if they've read the book before and let them summarize. I didn't want to pick a book they haven't used yet because then I would be introducing concepts they don't know yet.) This filled up the last 15 minutes or so of class rather nicely and I didn't need a sub bag for it. :)

24. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

Not a bad idea. I have entered the occasional classroom where there was not one pencil to be found.
    One of the most important things to have available is a simple bottle of water.
    I have returned after lunch on a hot day to many a portable classroom that has no drinking fountain. Being thirsty for a few hours or more is very uncomfortable.

25. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 1, 2009

Oh, I definitely bring two bottles of water every day. During cold weather months, I just pull two bottles out of the frig in the morning and put them each in a foam "koozie" to keep them somewhat chilled.

In the hot weather months, I will freeze half a bottle of water overnight. In the morning, I'll fill the bottle up with water and it will stay cold all day.

26. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 2, 2009

I only bring my sub bag to be prepared in case the teacher left no lesson plan. Also, I need some sponge activities for the kids in case they finish their work early. This prevents any disruption from the kids who have nothing to do, and thinks of something to do that bothers the rest of the class. I have subbed in classrooms, where the majority of the class has no pencil or paper. The classrooms had none either, so I had to have those supplies ready.:thumb:

Though, tomorrow I will only bring the bare necessities.

One more question, do I need to write the teachers a note? I wonder whether I will have any time to do that.

Thanks and Happy Monday!:)

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2009

I wouldn't worry about writing them a note. Chances are you will still be in the room when they come back from their meeting, and can give them a brief description of what happened.

28. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 2, 2009

I never write notes when I float. There really isn't time to do that. I just talk to the teacher when she returns.
    Except - if you end the day in a classroom and the teacher still hasn't returned. Then a quick "Everything went great!" (or whatever) would be appropriate.

29. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 2, 2009

Thanks everybody.

Yes if I do see the teacher I will just brief him/her on what happened.

I am so excited for tomorrow!:thumb: