How do your students practice what you've taught them?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newteech, Aug 25, 2014.

1. newteech

newteech Rookie

Aug 25, 2014

Let's say you just finished a section in Health. You and your class read together aloud a section in your Health book about the nervous system. What do your students do now? Do they answer the questions in the text? Do a worksheet? Other?

What if the subject is math? You taught the kids about multiplying fractions. Do they just answer questions in the math book? There has to be something more engaging than this.

How do you reinforce the content in your class?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 25, 2014

Well, we're science, so we do labs.

In my communications elective, they do projects utilizing the skills they learned.

For math you can make it a more realistic scenario. Or you could involve food. That always makes them more engaged.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2014

Science/ss:
    Cooperative group projects
    Notebook reflections
    Application questions
    Hands on activities

Math:
    Guided practice
    Independent practice
    Problem solving
    Math games

Reading:
    Conferences
    Independent reading
    Reading responses in notebooks

Writing:
    Guided practice
    Independent wiring
    Conferences

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 25, 2014

Well, we never read aloud from a textbook. We take notes and have discussions where I guide the notes, but try to lead them through the content with open-ended questions. My school is HUGE on questioning strategies and we're supposed to ask each student at least 3 questions per class. So, 30 kids x 3 questions each within a 30-35 minute Direct Instruction segment-- they talk as much as I do. So that's "practice."

Then they either complete an independent activity (writing, map skills, source analysis) or a group activity (creating a presentation or visual, playing a review game, etc).

6. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Aug 27, 2014

It really depends for me. I usually try to start a class-wide conversation about the topic, when applicable. This works better in smaller groups, naturally, but it's what I do. Kinda forces them into conversation about it. I grade heavily on class participation, and mark down who talks how many times a class.