How do your kids line up?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 17, 2007

How do your kids line up? I start with a boy line and a girl line. But the boy line is not working! Last year I changed to even and odd numbers. It didn't really work because kids were moving and one line was way longer than the other. I'm thinking about alphabetical order. Or just giving them line up spots. How do your kids do with assigned spots in line?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 17, 2007

I have one line, and I dismiss them one by one to get in line. I put the noisier kids in the back and follow behind. Whoever my line leader for the week is, leads. I have a small class though. I can see how you would want 2 lines in a big class.

I have seen a first grade teacher who gave each child a line buddy. They would line up in two lines boy, girl, boy, girl. Two girls would hold hands, then two boys, etc.

4. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 17, 2007

I say "1 get yourselves ready" (this means that they point everything away) "2 stand up and push in your chairs", "3 line up"

Works like a charm, I just teach them about safety and if they are unsafe they try it again. By the 2nd week we don't have to practice.

Oh, we also say a chant before we leave the room and it quiets them great!!!!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2007

I call on quiet tables and we just get into one long line. I really don't like dealing with two lines. They bug me because they take up too much room and that's too many kids standing near other students. I've called quiet groups and had one long line in kinder and I'm still doing it in my 5th grade class. Haven't had any problems.

Here's something else that I do. I pick a Secret Silent Student. If this secret student is able to walk quietly all the way to our destination, then they get a treat when we get back. If they talk, then nothing is said or done so that they are not embarressed in front of the class. This way, all of my kids walk in line quietly. :D

6. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

I'm not teaching homeroom this year, but when I did (4th & 5th), I always had 2 lines, and had the kids in a really simple line order--ABC order by FIRST names. This way, I could easily spot check and see if someone wasn't in the right place. I called on them by table groups to line up, based on which group was quietest. Sometimes I'd have to have them sit back down if they got noisy walking to line, then I'd call a different group instead. Even though they lined up at different times, they all knew basically where to stand so that when everyone was lined up they were in line order (someone whose name started with K, for example, knew not to go too far to the front of the line.)

I had 2 line leaders each week. I always walked behind the lines, and basically told them where to pass ("pass to the stairs", then we'd be sure everyone was still quiet/in line, then I'd say "pass down the stairs" etc.) We had to do this stopping along the way since my kids were ridiculously unruly last year. We practiced & practiced, spent recess practicing a few times, but these were just a tough group, and even towards the end of the year, lining up was a challenge :(

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2007

I just call tables to line up. At first we practice a lot to keep the noise to a min. Sometimes I even make a table return to their seats if they are to loud. After a few times of doing that they get the point.

8. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

My 2nd graders line up according to first name alphabetical order. We learn ascending (a-z) and descending (z-a) orders. On the nights of spelling hw when they have to put their words in abc order, they ALL master this. ABC order is programmed in their brains because they do it every time they line up!

9. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 18, 2007

I do similar to this except my 1 is stand up, 2 push chairs under, 3 walk quietly to the line. And you're right. After they have to practice several times because someone wants to keep talking, they get the picture.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2007

I have my kids numbered & we line up by number. I usually call numbers, if there's too much noise, we return to our seats. It may take 3 or 4 times some days, but eventually they get the idea. We've even returned to the room when there's talking.

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2007

My kids all sit at their table with their heads down. The class manager taps them on the shoulder when they are quiet. They then walk to the line and wait. I won't leave the room until they are quiet. We say a little chant--almost sounds military--. The line leader says "T "and the kids point thier toe forward with a stomp stomp. Line leader says "E" and they point their eyes forward. Line Leader says "A" and they slap their arms down to their sides. Line leader says "M" and they close their mouths. It spells team. So I tell them to get into their team line!

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 18, 2007

For almost everything, we use alphabetical order, and we call them to line up by varying methods. Interestingly, for lunch, they are expected to line up in boy-girl order, "because they won't talk as much!" Oh, well, I guess every school has its idiosyncracies!

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 18, 2007

My kids are slightly confused because in kinder, they did one line. I am doing the boy/girl line thing when we go to specials or bathroom breaks. When we go to lunch, they line up in hot lunch/cold lunch lines. When we go home, they line up in bus/pick up lines. Whew! I don't blame them for getting confused.

14. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 18, 2007

My kids have numbers and we line up in number order. If they are not quiet getting into line, we sit down and do it again.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 18, 2007

My troublesome kids seem to be at the end of the number/abc order. Errr.

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

I don't think fifth graders know what I line is. I tried calling them by name, number, group, whatever, but then they group together in line. After saying everything I could ever think of through all my years of teaching, I now just roll my eyes and say "I said a line, not a knot." then wait impatiently. It was a lot easier in fourth and third grade.

17. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 18, 2007

When my 5th graders last year wanted to walk anywhere except in a line, I used to say, "Please form a line, not a mob".

I don't think I'll have as many problems this year. Our principal has drilled into our kids heads that we have silent halls, silent dismissal and we have a blue row of tiles, one tile out from the wall on both sides of the hallway. Her rule is - One foot on the blue. It makes it so much easier when the entire school follows the same rules. My kids have been doing it since Kindergarten.

18. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 18, 2007

This is a great idea.... I think I will "borrow" it!

19. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 19, 2007

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

20. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

Since eaqch of my students have numbers, I vary it. Sometimes it's line up in number order, other reverse order. On days when I know I have a bit to line up, I'll say "Line up by 3s"! Then #3 is in front, followed by 6, then 9, etc. Anyone that's NOT a multiple of 3 then line up in order at the back of the line.
    And I'm sooooooo stealing the silent student idea this year!

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2007

You know what's funny? On the second or third day of school, one of my students said, why don't you just tell us who the secret student is? :rolleyes: sigh... It would be called SECRET then!

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 19, 2007

I call by quietest and most respectful groups. :)

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 19, 2007

I've done that. I may do that from tomorrow forward to see how it goes for the entire year. :)

24. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 19, 2007

What kind of treat do you give??? Do you do it every time you walk in a line?

25. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 20, 2007

All my kids are assigned a number according to ABC order - helps with everything! They line up in ABC order according to their number. I make a line with numbered stickers on the floor. We use this for the beginning of the year. We ALWAYS line up in number order. Eliminates fighting over who was where first. Sometimes I will put the line leader at the end of the line and we turn the line around, just for something different, but they are still in order. If ever I am missing a kid, I count down the line and know immediately who is missing.

At a conference this year I learned some new techniques. I am going to try having a lining up song that I play everytime it is time to line up. As the music gets softer, they will need to get quiet. I will also have stopping stations on the way to wherever we are going, so I can manage the line and the noise.

I love the idea of the Secret Silent Student.

26. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2007

Could you allow them to be your line leaders? Or, you might consider walking at the end of your lines. I've never lead my class down a hall. I learned to walk them by following them so they knew I was watching and all needed to behave.

I like the idea of carrying a clipboard and giving checks to kids not following the rules for hallway walking. At the end of each week, kids with no checks could get a treat.

27. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Aug 20, 2007

I had a class on year that could NOT line up, there were just oo many behavior problems. I actually ended up putting 17 pieces of tape on the carpet and writing their names on them so they knew where to get in line and put the ones who could be have between ones who couldn't. This year they are pretty good so I usually have girls line up first, then boys behind. This is so I can stay at the back and be close to the boys (who usually cause the problems). This is K.

28. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Aug 20, 2007

I usually start out the year just having the students line up in whatever order I happen to call them, sometimes by who is ready, others by a "game" (colors, what they had for breakfast, etc.) Eventually I end up with alphabetical order when they start fooling around too much. I don't use numbers.

29. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

I am going to try the secret silent student idea. Thanks!

30. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2007

I'll try the secret silent student tomorrow. I have a jar with their names on popsicle sticks and I'll pull one out and keep in in my pocket. That way there's no whining about playing favorites.

I wish we had a colored strip of tile down our hallway.

Today the principal read them the riot act. They were in another teacher's class during a Code Red drill (lock doors, away from windows, lights off, silence) He heard them giggling and laughing and talking and got furious. This is the second time it's happened during a drill. He told them to write a letter to their parents explaining their behavior. The thing is, at least ten of them are teacher's kids. I told them they couldn't bring a pillow to sit on tomorrow.

31. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 22, 2007

Yes, lining up by number order sometimes puts kids next to each other who don't work out well. In that case, I will assign a certain kid a special place in line between two well behaved kids. He still has his number, but he is in a different place for a while. I'll keep giving the kids a chance to be successful in their number order. They do mature during the year and it is so neat for them and for me when they are mature enough to be in their assigned number order.

I loved the ideas of stopping stations in the hallways! I have bought some sparkly cut outs that are not too big or small that I found at Safeway - might be a Staples product, for some reason our Safeway carries some of those. Anyway, I will place these at certain places on our hallway and stairway. The line leader will be responsible for stopping at the stopping stations. That way I can walk near any kids with problems walking in line, and check the line at points along the way.

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 22, 2007

Mine line up alphabetically by first name, except that every day the first person the previous day goes to the end.

33. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I LOVE THIS Terptoteacher! I'm going to use it this year. I bet the kids love to do the toe stomp like they are in the military! :up: I have a "traffic officer" who does the silent student thing only they have 3 tokens to pass out only on the way to cafeteria or auditorium (which are far). The students know he/she can only give out 3 a day. These "bucks" are part of my management system so 5 add up to a trip to the treasure box on Fridays. It takes a lot of work away from me and I just follow the line and watch the traffic officer watching everybody else!