How do you...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cakencookies, May 31, 2012.

1. cakencookies

cakencookies Rookie

May 31, 2012

tell your current principal that you would like to transfer or apply to another school? I find myself in this position after 2 years at my current job. I would like to leave on the best terms possible and don't want to burn any bridges. Any advice on how to make this move?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

Ask to schedule a meeting. Why do you want a transfer? Different grade, closer to home?

4. cakencookies

cakencookies Rookie

Jun 1, 2012

It is closer to home and just a place I would like to work. It is also a bigger school than the one I am currently in which is something I am looking for.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2012

When I moved to another state with my BF, I didn't tell the admin until I was well into the job search process, and that was really only because some of my friends knew and I figured it would get back to them soon.

If I was leaving for a negative reason, I wouldn't tell them at all until I had something else lined up.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2012

If your reason is legit then just be honest. Good luck. I'm sure it is making you nervous, but I don't think you need to be.

7. Billy--

Billy-- Rookie

Jun 2, 2012

Just tell him straight out, and tell him WHY you want to do it :) I'm sure he would understand since it's helping yourself out.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 2, 2012

I would inform your P, but simply leave your reason for wanting to leave that you are looking for something closer to home. It makes the choice completely about you, and nothing about the school.

9. cakencookies

cakencookies Rookie

Jun 2, 2012

Thank you for the advice. I am nervous about it. The place that I work now gave mey start so I do feel bad about leaving.
    There is also an attitude there that any person who leaves is betraying the school in some way. Earlier in the year, during a staff meeting, the principal mentioned how there was a certain staff member who was going behind his back applying for jobs and how he didn't appreciate the dishonesty and sneakyness of that individual. I suppose that is what makes me worry about burning bridges, I want to remain on friendly terms with the staff and administration, especially since the district is so small and the school I'm moving to is still within the district so we will have to work and interact with one another in the future.