How do you use YOUR Wordwall?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sophie1, Aug 4, 2009.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

How do you use your wordwall? How do you introduce and select words? How many do you add each week? Any other info would be great. I have words now, but I'm not sure how to properly implement my word wall. I also have to find a space for it in my room, not much wall space where students can see from their desks!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

Our district encourages us to start the year to put up a word used from morning message or shared reading. And as phonics lessons are taught, it will be beneficial to add anchor words (used to assist in making other words). We are told to add between 3-5 words each week.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 4, 2009

When I taught kindergarten, I always started with my students' names on the word wall. I introduced it by finding each child's name. As we added sight words or "fun words" from our lessons, those got added, as well. Students could use little binoculars or pointers during center time to read the room, and they always loved going to the word wall and finding names and sight words.

I did NOT put our "robust vocabulary" words on there (we were using Storytown) because to me those words were not frequently used words. They went on a separate "focus board" that had the skills, letters, and stories for the week in all subjects. I did post the word, a definition, and a picture to help students remember it, just not on my word wall.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 4, 2009

I add 5 words per week. Each student has student dictionary (I get them from Starfall -- 49 cents each in bulk). Every Monday they add the 5 words to their personal word wall dictionary. (Just the word) That way, even if their desk doesn't face the word wall, they can use it. Each day, I have two riddles based on the word wall, which gets the students to use it and get to using it.

At the end of the year, the students have their personal word wall dictionary to take with them to 3rd grade. I know they do, because I've had the 3rd grade teachers mention that my former students pull them out and use them.

I personally use the word wall words from Harcourt Trophies since they came with our series and they already have many activities to go with them. I just typed them out on cardstock. I put the vowels in red and the consonants in black. I also cut out the shape of the word (a whole-language trick) which helps some learners.

6. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

My first year doing a word wall was last year, but I ended up loving it.

I used my cupboards. I staple gunned a string from the top of the cupboard to the bottom (we have wood cupboards, but I think strong tape would work just as well. ) of each door.

Then I got some of those shapes from a teaching store (the ones about the size of your hand) and I laminated and cut out all of them (with parent help of course).

I then went through the assigned lesson plans that the school gives, searching for key words in all subjects. I chose about 5 a month for each subject- math, phonics, history, science, etc. and put them up.

When I talked about them in class, if a student noticed that I said a word that was on the board, and they raised their hand and pointed it out, they got a class dollar, and I talked about the word. I also put a sticker on it so that they knew that they couldn't get another dollar when we reviewed it lol.

I kept switching it up each month... well ideally, I think I left them up a bit long around Christmas... but that time is crazy anyways.

The kids paid extra attention during the lessons because they were always listening for those "key words."

I hope that helps.

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

I have about 4 different word walls. I have the high-frequency words word wall (the bigger word wall that takes up most of one of my dry-erase boards), a science word wall, a math word wall and then a seasonal word wall. Our district is strict on expectations like not to put kids names in word walls; to use a name poster for that... don't put "interesting" words (like Christmas or Thanksgiving or whatever)-have a separate place for everything.

8. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

We use the word wall mostly to help with writing. The words I choose each week are based on words they are misspelling in writing consistently. We practice writing them, add them to our personal dictionaries, use them in sentences, etc. They are then responsible for spelling all the word wall words correctly in their writing.

9. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

All of your ideas and thoughts are wonderful!! I have an idea on where to go from here! Great!!

10. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 5, 2009

Hi!

I like to use my word wall as a part of Literacy Centers!

The children can choose a 4 word wall words and put them in a sentence... Write a story with as many word wall words as you can, or their favorite ~ I have a set of 100 "high frequency" words (some of which are already on the wall) that are magnetic and the children need to place them under the correct letter and in ABC order. Toward the end of second grade, that becomes really easy for them center wise I like that activity because it's a bit hands on and ABC order is a skill our Lang. Arts curriculum loves! :)

11. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

Great idea!

12. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

I add 5 new words a week. I usually use the word wall 3-4 times per week in my word work section of my 90 minute reading block. I play a lot of interactive games with it including:
    wordo (like bingo)
    Find all ... (I pick something like find all nouns, whatever we are working on in Language)
    Hangman (students select words on the wall to use)
    Word spin ( I have spinners with different activities on them)

These work well. The other key element of the word wall is to use it during writing. I expect when a word is on the wall that they must spell it correctly. This is the difficult part. They forget about it even though we use it so often. I am going to give out special rewards to those students that use it to help with that.

I use dolch words and other high frequency words.
    Hope this helps.

13. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

I use high frequency words on mine (the 2nd grade list that is associated with the Four Blocks program). I also have a separate wall where I put students' names and other words (holiday, monthly words, etc.) I need to be better about "using" the wall...so I got a few books that have word wall games in them to use for this year. :)