How do you use time out?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenK26, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JenK26

JenK26 Rookie

Feb 9, 2016

Hi all,
    Do you use time out in your classroom and if so when do you use it? I try most of the time to use redirection. For example if a child is not using a toy the right way, I will give them a warning and if they do not listen then I will have them find another center. I am just wondering how other teachers use time out and for what circumstances. I will mostly use time out when another child hurt another child. Your input is appreciated! Thank you!

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 9, 2016

I do the same, unless the child continues the behavior or has done something "really bad". Then we just have them sit out for a little bit and miss a few minutes of play time. Usually, threatening to call their parents or write notes home will get them to shape up really quick and we don't have to do "Time outs". Since it's 6 months into the school year, the kids are fine after just a warning.

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Feb 10, 2016

I teach public preschool in a program for preschoolers with severe needs, mostly behavioral. We are typically not allowed to use time out, but when I do it's similar to your policy. Time out is only used for a behavior that harms another student, that can include things like hitting, kicking, pinching, etc...but it also includes behaviors like throwing toys or running away from the classroom, which could hurt themselves or others.