How do you use technology in your classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by snickydog, Jul 17, 2007.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 17, 2007

I currently only have two computers in my classroom - how do you use technology in your classroom and make the most of the equipment you have?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

Can one be connected to a LCD projector? If so, that opens up a world of possibilities. You can also hook up your computer to your TV, which can be useful but is less interactive. Just let us know if you have a projector and some type of interwrite pad, and I bet you'll get some general ideas. [​IMG]

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

I have 3 class computers in my Special Ed room. My students use them for finished copies of all written work, using word prediction software to help them with spelling and word choice. I use math and logic games on the computer as a centre a couple of times a week. This year, I plan to use them more for reading activities as well (just haven't worked out how!)

5. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

We have a smartboard in every classroom and we are expected to use them frequently. There is so much you can do with them. I also have two student computers. One never worked and the other one ran so slow that the kids wasted so much time waiting for it that we had to stop using them so I use the smartboard alot.

6. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I only have a teacher computer in my room, but we have access to COWs (Computers On Wheels). We can reserve them for our classrooms through the library.

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

Overhead and TV count as technology too.

8. Bear5

Bear5 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Our school just installed smartboards this summer in 4th, 5th, and 6th grades.I teach 5th grade literacy. I have not seen the smartboard. We are having inservice on July 31 on how to use it. Can you tell me some things that I will be able to do with it? I am completely in the dark.Thanks!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 18, 2007

I have lots of technology in my classroom . . . SmartBoard, AirLiner, two desktop computers, 30 laptop comptuers, LED projector, audio enhancement system, VCR/DVD combo, TV with cable, Internet access on all computers, student responders, and document camera.

I still haven't figured out how to use the student responders, and I don't use the laptops frequently.

I use my audio system, desktop computer, AirLiner, and SmartBoard every day.

I do everything with my Smartboard. I use it as a whiteboard, to run my computer, to access multimedia files, and all kinds of other uses.

10. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 18, 2007

Ima, what's an AirLiner?

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 18, 2007

It's a wireless slate that I use to control my SmartBoard while walking around the room. It looks a lot like the board pictured in one of the previous posts.

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2007

Computer, show DVDs, united streaming, jeapordy ppts, mindjogger video quiz; lap top with LCD projector, power points with united streaming video; overhead lecture and warmups

This year I want to do some warm ups on the comptuer and I found a timer program for ppt to use to keep kids on task.

13. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I would just like to say how jealous I am reading your posts about the technology you have in your classrooms! I would love to have a smartboard in my class but that is not going to happen anytime soon. I had one computer in my class last year but it did not work. I guess that is one of the drawbacks of working in an urban school system. My school did purchase two interactive boards but I doubt I will ever be able to use it.

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

I have a Smartboard, an Interwrite slate, and a tablet laptop. All my students have tablet laptops as well. We are expected to use technology everyday in every class. We use Blackboard, ExploreLearning, and many other programs to make it easier. We also have a new program called DyKnow this year which is going to allow us to monitor what the students are doing on their computers. Has anyone ever used DyKnow?

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

NO I use one called smart eyes, the great thing is I can not only see what they are doing, and capture a screen shot (if they are on a site that would require a long term suspsension) but also lock their computers and the students screen will say eyes front please, they konw instantly whay they are doing wrong, usually they apologize and that is how I know who is doing what.....lot of fun!

16. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

Wow I'm jealous! We usually have 2 computers in each room, one that works and one that doesn't. We have laptops that can be rolled into the class, but it is hard to reserve. No TV's...we still have the "old school" intercom system...lol

17. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I try to keep the distractions to a minimum. I use the overhead and the chalk board with lots of colored chalk. Student calculators, rulers, protractors, compasses are required. Time on task is the main thing, so all this computer stuff is in the way most of the time. (There I go again - I say a lot of things that might get me in trouble.) The computers are great for occasionally showing graphs, trends in data, etc, so I do take them to the computer room once in awhile.
    Btw, speaking of technology and getting myself in trouble, continuing to use those graphing calculators seems ridiculous. The things have there own language unlike any other. Just graph on the computer - even Excel can do most graphs. I hope those palm's come down in price. With the internet programs, they can do any graph so much easier. Now I think every kid should have one of those. There, that ought to make me some friends.

18. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 20, 2007

I have a SmartBoard, though it is really for the 8 classrooms on my floor, but no one wanted to use it last year. They are supposed to get more with Title I money. I hope I can get one permanitly in my room (the rolling stand is huge!). Luckily I have proven to the Principals that it is something I use EVERY DAY. I love the student interaction you can get from it. I also have a projector, student responders, a desktop and a laptop, tv (though I ussually use my projector to make the screen bigger, there's noting like watching Glory projected on an entire wall), dvd/VCR.

19. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I have a blog dedicated to how I use technology in the classroom (this came about because other teachers in my school were asking for suggestions so I thought I would put them all in one place!) www.ilearntechnology.com