How do you use technology in the classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Aug 27, 2009.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2009

How much do you use? How often. What aspects of it do you love?

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 27, 2009

All of my students have laptops for school and home.
    We are wireless across campus.
    Every classroom is equipped with digital projectors.

I use technology as much as possible, pretty much all day everyday.

I use Edmodo (www.edmodo.com) for course management
    I use Twitter for online professional development
    My students use Word, Publisher, Glogster, Internet ... this could be a very long list
    I use DyKnow for monitoring laptop use
    I use PowerPoint for bell work and to share information
    I use email for communication with teachers and parents (used to use email with students, use Edmodo now).

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

I firmly believe that technology is a TOOL, useful at times, but not the cure-all that it's sometimes purported to be.

I take attendance on the computer.
    I put my "Do Now" SAT prep question up on the projector.
    Occasionally I'll share a snippet of something via the computer-- last year my Algebra I kids saw both the first 50,000 digits of pi and the scene from the Wizard of Oz where the scarecrow botches the Pythagorean Theorem.

But beyond that, I'm perfectly content with my blackboard and chalk.

5. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 27, 2009

Computer: I take attendance on it, this year I plan on emailing parents, I look up sign language signs that the kiddos ask to learn but I don't know, and eeevery once in a while I show them something on it (like last year when nobody knew what a real groundhog looked like, and the pictures in the stories I was reading were too cartoon-y).

CD Player: I use it for music LoL.

That's about it. That's all I have access to, and I teach 4 year olds in 2.5 hour batches, so there's really not a lot of need. I enjoy things the old fashioned way, and haven't had any problems.

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 27, 2009

I think technology is extremely important for the classroom. I take attendance on the computer every morning and we are required to check our email/school bulletin daily (although some of the old school teachers still fight it).

I have a document reader/LCD projector that I use nearly all day everyday. I also hook up my laptop to the LCD projector for Power Point presentations and internet use.

I have 5 student computers that we try to utilize as often as possible. They use Word, Power Point, and the internet for research.

I have my teacher website that is for students and parents. I keep the homework updated on it as well as school/class announcements. Families can also email me directly from my website.

7. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

The use of technology in my classroom has been very limited. There are student computers and a teacher/aide computer that I use for IEP's, student reports, and monthly calendars, I also use my digital camera. I love my job but sometimes I worry that if I ever had to move I would be very far behind in terms of technology.

8. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Aug 27, 2009

I have an activboard so any sites on a related topic are shown. They interact with flipcharts I find using an activpen.
    Other uses:
    research
    powerpoints
    I have a portaportal that I link students sites to.
    Our students can homework and look at any files I put up on the school's webpage.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2009

I've become so dependent on technology over the years that it kind of thows me off for a few minutes when the electric is out of I need a technology repair.

We do all attendance, grading, and record keeping online. I use my audio enhancement system, AirLiner, and SmartBoard all day, every day.

My students rotate through the computer lab for remediation, enrichment, and advancement.

Daily I use PowerPoint, Word, Notebook, Infinite Campus, Accelerated Reader, and the internet every day.

I love technology.

10. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 27, 2009

I'm with Ima Teacher. I use technology everyday all day. I have an ipod for music and I have a Belkin italk so that students can read into the italk and I can do a running record without them watching over my shoulders to see how many mistakes they make.
    I have a flip video that I use daily to record what's going on in my classroom. I have used it for classroom management (hmm... I wonder if Mom and Dad would like to see how you are behaving right now) as well as recording plays, science projects, and many MANY other things.
    I have two computers in my room, a laptop and a desktop. My laptop comes home with me so I can make smartboard and other lessons at home. My desktop is used daily to do attendance, check emails, look up lessons on the internet, and much much more.
    My class has 3 hours a week in the computer lab that has my kids working with compass learning, accelerated reader, typing courses, and many microsoft office projects.
    Like I said, I use technology on a daily basis. I also feel like if we are not using technology in the classrooms we are seriously affecting our students futures. They WILL, I repeat, WILL have to use it in their everyday lives in the future and they will have to be proficient in it. Search YouTube for "Did You Know 2.0" and you'll know what I'm talking about. It is a seriously inspiring video for teachers and anyone working with our future leaders of the world!

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 28, 2009

There is an updated video: Did you Know 3.0