How do you use parent volunteers in your classroom?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Teachingtots, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

I am switching from a Charter school in Detroit where I had literally ZERO parent participation for four years to a school in an affluent suburb where EVERY parent wants to volunteer.

I am unsure of the best way to use parents in the classroom. How do you all put your volunteers to use?

I want to be prepared for all the parents! I hate to say it, but I'm a little nervous to have parents in my room constantly just because I won't be used to it! :unsure:

3. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

I am also at a school where parents would love to volunteer all day everyday. :). Over the past 2years, I had parent volunteers t/th during reading for about an hour. The parents would work in the hallway with students reading or doing word work practice. This year our schedule is changing and I'm considering having parents come in during math time to help with math stations or centers, depending on what I finally decide to do!

Just to let you know how I typically had parents sign up-- I asked for parents to sign up if they would like and were available to volunteer from 10:30-11:30 on the Tuesday/Thursday. Then I just created a rotation and sent parents home a whole year calendar of when they were to come in. I alsogavethemphone numbers and email addresses so that they could contact each other in the event that they were unable to attend.

I always like to have the parents do something with the kids instead of making copies and dng projects. I feel like that's why they come! I do also collect names of people who are unable to come in but would like to help out at home- cutting things, etc. Hope that helps!

I feel the same ways you about having parents in the classroom. Any extra adults make me nervous!

4. Teachingtots

Teachingtots Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the idea of having a calendar schedule for parents. It also makes me feel better that you get nervous with extra adults in the room. I feel like they are judging me! haha

5. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

I have parents sign up to read to the class--either during our morning bell work time or right at the end of the day. It's nice for the parents to get to know the kids and for the kids to experience different reading styles. I also have them help me make class books, laminate, cut stuff out, etc. I'm hesitant to let parents work with the children because I worry that they'll judge the KIDS. Parents at my school tend to be super competitive and the last thing I would want is for them to talk about what reading level little Susy is on or how they played a low level or high level word game with little Bobby.

6. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jul 26, 2012

I worked as a parent volunteer and I graded multiple choice tests, cut, copied and laminated.