How do you typically tutor?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Dec 12, 2016.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 12, 2016

I was approached by another parent in my class about tutoring their other child. I've turned down tutoring in the past and might do it this time too (have my own studies to tend), but I'm curious how you typically go about tutoring kids (elementary). Do you work on their HW? Do you bring materials (i.e. workbook) of your own?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 12, 2016

It all depends on the kid and his or her needs. Sometimes the teacher asks you to do something to review, you can ask to see any reports or notes, correct returned papers, etc. I always do something else, too, though, based upon apparent weaknesses.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  4. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Dec 14, 2016

I have tutored all grade levels for several years and in every instance I simply worked on problems they had missed in class or on take home assignments. If they don't have any work, I typically just make up problems resembling material they are struggling with; this is easier to do since I tutor math and science. There has been only one instance where I used a STAAR (Texas) workbook with one student specifically for that purpose.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 15, 2016

Is there anything you do to build rapport with the child? I'm going to be working with a 5th grader and maybe 4th grader... I'm going to use manipulatives to reinforce concepts for them, and bring worksheet package along for Math. I don't know what I should consider with Reading/Writing... maybe bring an extra classroom workbook in Reading.

Any more little tidbits are appreciated!

6. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Dec 16, 2016

I have no experience with reading and writing. As far as building rapport, I've found that a positive relationship is developed much more easily in a one-on-one tutoring scenario. I typically tutor for an hour at a time and during that time there is plenty of time for levity and a very personalized approach to instruction. It's far easier to chit chat and build a good relationship when you aren't worrying about 20 other students as well. I've never had an issue in this regard; it'll come naturally and easily.