How do you turn it off?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cmgeorge626, Mar 15, 2009.

1. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Mar 15, 2009

This is my fourth year to teach and I still find it difficult to "turn off" school when I come home. I teach First grade and find myself worrying about my students. The hardest thing about teaching has been knowing all of the terrible things that happen to children and having to carry that around. How do you deal with it?

3. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 15, 2009

I am having trouble turning it off also. I wake up at 2 or 3 and my first thought is school. I worry constantly about am I doing enough, will they pass the test, etc.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 15, 2009

If anyone figures that out, please let us know. I am almost always thinking about school. I will be watching a TV show and suddenly something on screen triggers and idea for the classroom that may or may not have any bearing on our current units of study.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 15, 2009

This is my 12th year and I haven't found that switch. Between worrying about the curriculum and what I still have to cover, and worrying about my kids, it's hard to get other thoughts in sometimes. One of my former professors told us that teaching isn't like most other jobs. You do other jobs, you are a teacher. I guess that's part of it. I think keeping things on my mind helps make me the teacher I am and I don't know that I'd really want to change it. It lets me continue to see my kids as individuals with their quirks and worries - not just bodies in a room. (Of course it also gets me in trouble in the store when I get on to kids acting like they don't know better!)

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2009

As a sub I find turning off school to be relatively easy, especially if I've had a productive, fun day with the kids , and most of my days are that way.

When I wore a different hat in the world of oil exploration it was a whole different matter. If you are the chief geophycist who has just signed off on where to place an exploratory drilling rig, which will cost your company tens of millions of dollars, you will often wake up in the middle of the night with "OMG" thoughts.......:lol::lol:

Major......:)

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 15, 2009

I wish I knew. I'm so consumed with worry about school that I'm sometimes nauseous.

I'm so scared my kids won't pass that dang test at the end of the year. I'm also scared that I won't have enough on level C-or-better-work samples to prove to the Waiver Committee that they're ready to be promoted even if they DON'T pass the dang test.

In my district you have to take kids to waiver who fail the test but have a C or above average.

edited to add: I sound mad here, but I'm not. Just showing my disdain for the dang test :)

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2009

I don't, that's why I'm here on a sunday.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 15, 2009

Learn some stress reduction techniques. Give yourself permission to turn off. Take time to relax with your own activities.

10. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Mar 15, 2009

I have been teaching 8 years, and this is very hard for me. I have to force myself to have fun and stop thinking about work. It does help to have my own kids now, and when I focus on them, their enjoyment, and my enjoyment of them, I stop thinking about work.

For a little while, at least.

I enjoy learning new things related to my work, so research is a positive way for me to be obsessive, rather than dwelling on problems at work. And there are many problems, as we have a very destructive and mean principal. The whole school is depressed.

L.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2009

Its been 6 years for me. I lay awake at night thinking about things. I spend my 50 min commute thinking about things. I do hope to learn how to turn it off a bit when I have kids, but for now I've settled for making my fiancee help me with things and show him what I'm doing so he understands!

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 16, 2009

Maybe I'm a bad teacher, but most of the time I can turn it off. I do worry sometimes and will ask my Mom (who isn't a teacher but is a parent of course) for advice in a situation. But I've developed a presence online and that takes up a lot of time after school. I don't mean either playing computer games--- I don't play games, but I do alot of forum work and planning for sites, etc. So I have some very close online friends. With their drama and my drama, that often keeps me busy without overly stressing about my students.

13. frogger

frogger Devotee

Mar 16, 2009

I think you just need to make a conscious effort to turn it off and if you start going back to thinking about it then you have to distract yourself and do something else - let yourself have that time away from school mentally as well as physically.

14. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2009

After 26 years, I never turn it off! Right now I'm out of my home state, visiting my elderly parents to help them out for a few days. Just got back from errands, and went to the bookstore and spent $65 for my classroom. It's in my blood!

15. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Mar 17, 2009

Oh, I know what you mean! I will lie in bed and think, "OK, no work thoughts ... imagine your dream vacation ... Venice ... gondolas ... maybe I could find a book to read to my class about Italy ..." and I'm off and running. Twenty minutes later I realize I've gotten completely off track and am fretting about test scores, lessons that didn't seem to work out well, that kid who needs a little more attention, etc.

God bless my husband. Many nights I've asked him to just talk to me for a while about something that interests him and is completely unrelated to education. If he's not there, I read books.

I love my job, but I really do miss having other things occupy my mind ... like travel, weeknights out with friends, etc.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2009

I've started watching more tv to get my mind off of work. And I do the same thing Tampa does at night when I'm trying to go to sleep. But I think teaching is such a big part of me, that it isn't always easy.