How do you teach writing?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2009

I teach using the workshop method (mostly)- I am curious about how you approach writing in your classroom. :) Do you place students in partnerships? Do you let students have choice in their writing? Do they keep journals or notebooks? I'd love to hear your approach.

Also, is writing tested in fourth grade at your school? For all of the public schools in Florida, the answer is "of course"- we have the Florida Writes.

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I do Writing Workshop using Lucy Calkins' Units of Study. They do have partners for an entire unit (about a month), sometimes they pick, sometimes I pick. They keep notebooks, and we make a big deal about them at the beginning of the year - they take them home and decorate them with pictures or things that will inspire them. They get some choice in their writing, but it's focused on the genre we are studying. Units 1 & 2 are personal narratives, so they focus on pers. narr. during WW.

Writing is tested in 4th grade in CA too. The prompt may be a personal narrative, fictional narrative, or a response to literature.

4. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

I'm preparing to teach with 4 Square writing this year as I think it provides students with a little more structure for their writing. Once the learn the system, there are many variations for it including writing across the curriculum.