How do you teach the green section in Open Court Reading Program?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2007

I know not a lot of people use this program, but I'm going to give it a shot and ask anyways.

Kindergarten was chock full of activities for the green section. Everyday it was different, but they built upon each other.

With fifth grade, I noticed it's the same thing everyweek. Read a list of words together, find the pattern. That's it.

So, I must be missing something. Apparently, it's supposed to take 20 mintues to teach this section?!

How do you guys teach the green section?

3. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Aug 26, 2007

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 26, 2007

I teach the green section on powerpoint butyou could just write it on chart paper. I apologize in advance for any typos or spelling errors because I am rushing to type this in the next few minutes!
    I start with word knowledge. My class is divided in 3 sections. I show "line 1" and group 1 reads the words, then group 2 reads the words and then group 3. I show "line 2" and group 1 reads the words, group 2 and then 3. I show "line 3" and then each group reads the words. Next, I do the same thing for the sentences. Then I bring "line 1" back up on the screen and ask the kids what the words have in common. "They all have the Long A spelled ai," says Mary. I ask the kids, "Who can think of other words with this pattern?" I take volunteers. I do the same thing for lines 2 and 3. Then I bring back up sentence 1 and ask, "who can find _______ in the sentence?" So word knowledge takes about 10-12 minutes. Then we start vocabulary (also on powerpoint). A volunteer reads the first word and then reads the sentence that goes with it. I ask the kids if they didn't know the meaning of "election" how could they figure out the meaning? Then they have to hold up 1 of 3 cards: (I make these at the beginning of the year) red card-context clues, blue card-apposition, or green card-word structure. I take a look around the room to see who identifies the correct vocabulary strategy and then I tell them what it is. The next slide shows the definition and the same child who read the word then reads the definition. All students then write the word and the definition in their writing notebook (spiral binder). We continue through the rest of the vocabulary. This takes about 10 minutes.
    Finally, after the powerpoint is over, I have the kids draw pictures to illustrate the meaning of the vocabulary words in the second part of their writing notebook. I give them 10-12 minutes. Any pictures they don't finish are done for homework.
    So with word knowledge(10-12 min), vocabulary(10 minutes) and vocabulary pictures (10-12 minutes), the whole process is about 30 minutes.
    Green section was my favorite because the group of kids I had last year loved to participate and they all wanted to share their connection to each vocabulary word. It was amazing, each student always had a story to share/connection about each word. Half the time I think they were making stuff up, but oh well! I didn't care as long as they were on task and engaged!
    I hope this helps. If you want to see one of my powerpoints, check out the opencourtresources website.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2007

Do you mean, when they have the three or four sentences, can't remember how many right now, you have them find the words from the green boxes in the sentences? Do you have them come up and point to the words? I'm just trying to get an image here.

Thanks for the information! I like how you split them into groups and have them read by groups. I also like the illustration idea. I'm sure they will enjoy coloring.

Now, do you do this everyday?

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2007

Oh! Another quick question. When you say vocabulary, do you mean the five words from the red section??

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 27, 2007

Yes. So for example, this is from unit 5
    line 1: rest left stick kind
    line 2: breathing listening bringing bumping
    line 3: school bell post office bank teller
    All three groups will read each line and then we will discuss what is unique about each set of words. Then they will read sentence one.
    S 1: I rested for the rest of the day.
    We will have already discussed that line 1 contains words with multiple meanings. So after they read sentence 1 I will ask, "which word in this sentence has multiple meanings?"
    I don't have them get up and point because I do the whole thing on powerpoint. After a student volunteers the answer, I point my "red laser pointer thingy" at the word (I bought it at best buy for 30 dollars). My kids were very very engaged because it was on powerpoint, but if you plan to write it on the whiteboard, I most definitely would allow them to come up to the board.
    Vocabulary and word knowledge are done the first day. It's very important to do the green section BEFORE you read each story.
    On day two of each lesson I do the Preview and Prepare. This is similar to a KWL chart.
    Oh, another thing that I do that the kids LOVE- I have them raise their hand when they hear one of the vocabulary words in the story. Sounds simple, but I have seen this done with many classes and all kids seem to love to be the first one to shoot their hand up when they hear a word.:D

8. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 27, 2007

The "selection vocabulary" in the green section. The words are the same.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2007

Thanks! That was very helpful. Right now, I'm doing the green section on the overhead projection. So, I do have them come up and circle the words in the sentence part. Because of your help, I felt that the green section went much better. They also really enjoyed drawing pictures of the vocabulary.

10. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 27, 2007

What do you have transparencies of. As far as I knew, OCR only made transparensies for the vocabulary.
    What sentences are they coming up to the projector for? The vocabulary sentences or the word knowledge sentences?
    Glad to hear it went better today!
    Are you getting anywhere with the unmotivated young girl? I am so scared of getting a challenging student like that. Nine more days to go!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2007

I don't know who made them. I was given this big fat binder full of transparencies. One is for the green section and another is for the reading section.

I had them come up for the sentence one. I had them all read the sentence, and then had them come up and circle the words that had a plural, or circle the word that is synonomous with noise, for example.

Regarding the unmotivated girl: She's not much into anything BUT I got her to write a short story during writers workshop!!!!!! I almost cried. She wrote a story about when she went up to the mountains and saw a jack rabbit.