How do you teach students to value their work?

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Securis, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 15, 2009

I have never been very good at getting students to value what they do. I have several students this year that are very talented. However, they don't care anything about their work. Take it or leave it, it doesn't mean anything to them. How do you address this issue?

3. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Dec 15, 2009

Well, I know that the "pat" answer would be to let them paint something that they really care about. But I have seen students write essays about really personal topics and then just leave them anywhere!

One idea if you have the room is to have them keep their projects until the end of the school year to have an exhibition. Another is to let them give their artwork to teachers to display in their rooms. I have had many art students give me their Dali, Picasso like work for my Spanish classroom. It seems to mean more to them if it is going to be displayed. So if they did a picture of a fish maybe the science teacher would like (at least for a certain time period anyway!) I make all my writing students keep all their essays and then they create a book at the end of the school year that has a theme. They have to cull their essays to pick the ones that go best with their theme. They really do hold on to their essays because they get a huge grade for the book and they don't know until close to the end of the school year what theme they are going to chose.
    I hoped this helped.

4. teachingart

teachingart Rookie

Jan 10, 2010

Budaka is right.

My students at the end of the year get their art work exhibited during the "spring concert" for family and freinds to see. This has made a big difference. The fact is, however, not every child is going to care. I found that in 10 years of teaching, when "most" are proud, others will work harder and follow suit. The exhibitions give them praise, and this is what children of any age need.

5. keepinon

keepinon Rookie

Jan 13, 2010

We don't study the mona lisa with folds in it do we? Do you think they would have still hung the painting in the worlds greatest museum if the painting had folds in it? Then why are you folding and putting your art in your book-bag?

Pretty much takes care of the problem...