How do you teach reading?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by dianejw, Jun 20, 2004.

1. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jun 20, 2004

I am planning on making changes as to how I teach reading in my fourth grade classroom. I was hoping some of you might share what a typical day of reading instruction is like in your class?

Thanks!
    Diane

3. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 21, 2004

First you need to ask yourself what objectives do you want your students to meet...what goals do you want your students to meet..also you need to consider your students reading and interest level because that differ amongst students.

Can you be more specific because there are so many strategies that you can implement in your classroom to favilitate reading....that is a broad question.....specify please and I will be able to assist

Take care

God bless

4. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jun 21, 2004

More specifically I was wondering how your reading instruction is structured for the day. Does anyone use literacy centers and if you do how much time do you allot for it? Silent independent reading? Group reading? Guided reading? Poetry reading? Read-a-loud? Basil readers, novels or both? Exactly what do you do and how much time do you allow for each reading activity?

5. Nichole

Nichole Rookie

Jun 22, 2004

I'm interested in learning some tips to teach reading as well, especially in a small group setting.

Diane - Students do SSR [self selected reading] for about 30 minutes and during that time I conference with small groups of students. During the conferences I check to make sure they are reading books that are at their ability level, as well as give them the opportunity to tell me, and the group, a little bit about their book.

Real Aloud is done for about 15 minutes a day and during that time I read them a chapter book that they might not normally pick up. One of the most popular books I've read with my 4th graders is Deltora Quest by Emily Rodda.

I do use the Basil readers, but not too often. At the beginning of the year I have my students do a walk through of our reading text and we vote on the stories we want to read. We pick about 10-12 of them to read throughout the year. There are certain stories we will read regardless because they fit into a theme/holiday. The rest of the time we read novels that have been assigned by the district for that grade level. The students seem to enjoy doing novel studies more than reading the basil stories.