How do you teach elementary PE?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Mar 2, 2015.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2015

We just got it added to our day as a must do. Before it was more like, "try to work it in." Our grade level has almost 80 students. We don't have much yard or equipment. We have been "working out" on the basketball court. It's OK, but we feel we could be more creative. Some days are in our own rooms.

Since most elementary schools have PE scheduled in their day, and don't have a dedicated PE teacher, I was wondering what do you do for that 20 to 30 minute block? We don't have a track, sound system, sets of equipment. We could do some relay races, but by the time we get them out there, there's not much time for breaking into small groups.

Any comments, advice, experience you'd like to share?

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2015

For those you are in your own room you could use Go Noodle. We use Go Noodle for indoor recess and I use it for brain breaks.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2015

You can also find a bunch of kids' 'work out' videos on youtube, if you can access that?

5. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 2, 2015

We do step dances, games (kickball, dodgeball, capture the flag), running, and whatever we can do with the equipment we have (jump rope, hula hoops, balls, etc.).

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 2, 2015

I'm not trained as a PE teacher. My school would be doing my children a disservice if they expected me to teach them PE. It would also irk me, since PE is the biggest source of my own planning time.

If your school is actually expecting you to be a PE teacher on top of everything else you have to do, I'd probably just find as many aerobic type videos as I could and organize various team sports when weather allowed for outdoor play.

7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Mar 2, 2015

For the groups, make groups AHEAD of time. It saves a lot of time! If I need two teams, I'll either pull their numbers (evens on one team, odds on another) if the class has numbers assigned to them, or I'll go to the roll sheet and just cut it in the middle. For groups more than two, I'm sure there are websites where you can put in all the names and it'll scramble and spit out groups...I've just never needed more than two :)

For upper grades, they like capture the flag, dodgeball, nation ball (for those last two I like to use small, foam balls...that way there are FARRRR less injuries and kids don't get their feelings hurt because so and so threw a huge, hard ball at their head), sharks and minnows, kickball, kickball-basketball, regular basketball (with a group on the side of HORSE players and another group of just basket shooters to the side for the kids who don't want to play a real game...this usually divides into nice groups in my grade).

8. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Mar 2, 2015

Agree with type of equipment especially balls. To teach catching and throwing have students make balls out of newspaper and tape - about the size of a softball. By making them they can feel the weight and softness. Many students "flinch" or turn away when trying to catch a ball. This is mainly due to initially trying to catch a ball that is too hard - hardball, hard rubber etc, - which stings hands. Any game involving throwing balls at others should always be nerf balls or similar, never use rubber or kickballs. For volleyball use a large, oversized beachball. Again, a standard volleyball will make kids flinch plus a beachball stays in the air longer allowing for more play. Of all the low organized games we played by far the most popular was Capture the Flag. In fact it became a league played at lunch recess in addition to PE. When organizing relays consider more teams with fewer players versus two long lines. More teams means sooner and more participation. Give each line leader a piece of chalk with instructions to run the obstacle course - set up any objects to run around - and write (on the ground) a word of a sentence before handing off to next member. Next member adds next word to sentence. Winning team is finished AND complete sentence. Spin-off could be math problems, test review, class rules etc. If can't write on playground bring some lapboards and pens. Place boards at turn around spot on the ground.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 2, 2015

I can't believe they don't hire PE teachers. Couldn't they share with another campus if your enrollment is low?

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 2, 2015

There are lots of various tag games you could play.

11. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Mar 2, 2015

My district doesn't hire PE teachers, either. It's absolutely ridiculous...most of the teachers around here just have the kids stretch on the blacktop, run around the field, and play a game of dodgeball. It's sad because the teachers have so much to do as it is...they don't have the time to be coming up with fun, creative, and engaging PE lessons like a full-time PE teacher could dedicate the time to do.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2015

I know when I subbed in PE we had stations (primary teacher had set). I think it was like 4-5 stations and we had a cd with music after each song they rotated.

Shooting hoops, weaving soccer ball through cones, the scooters, bouncy balls (the ones you sit on).

Don't forget you could do stretching in your classroom. Simon says (I always used my last name instead of simon...Kids loved it).

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 2, 2015

In my experience, PE teachers in CA at the elementary level are about as common as unicorns or flying pigs. It's fairly normal to teach PE yourself. (And science and art and music and...but I digress. Basically "specials" are a lot less common in CA than in apparently every other state.)

Others have given great advice. My kids love capture the flag (capture the duct tape since we use two rolls of duct tape...LOL), tag games, sharks and minnows (so funny how much they love that game), to name a few.

I agree with MsBlank - it's really impossible for me to prioritize PE with everything else I have to do.

There's talk of getting a part time PE teacher at my school next year...I REALLY hope it happens.

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2015

These are great ideas. Thanks for the help. Would most of these games work with 80 kids? The group being so large is part of the problem. And that we have little space. The high school has snatched up a lot of ground. I'll google some of these games. Capture the Flag is a new one to me.

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 3, 2015

With 80 kids, I really think you are going to have to do some kind of stations. When I student taught in 6th, they did that. They had a group playing volleyball, another playing basketball...I don't remember the other stations....:blush:

We've played capture the flag with two classes (56 kids), but that is REALLY pushing it. Any more would be insane, I think. Do you have room to run two games at once?

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2015

What is Capture the Flag?

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

18. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Mar 5, 2015

Another game I played today with my third graders (and squishy foam balls) was Medic. They loved it! It's basically like dodgeball, but we played on a nationball court...you pick one secret medic on each side. When someone gets a ball thrown at them and are out, they sit down. The medic can go over and tap the person sitting so they are back in again. When the medic gets out, then the game is over. I like it because even when a kid is out, there is a chance to get in again. A good chance with this one, actually, whereas nationball for example relies on the kid's ability to catch a ball to get back in the game. The kids have a great time trying to keep who their medic is a secret. I even had a class who was having fake medics tap sitting kids...no one knew who the real medic was, so they had to aim at all three kids, haha.

19. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2015

I will give a little (time for bed and a big field day tomorrow) and more later. Steal the flag is the best large group game you can do. Great for cold weather. Soccer is the best real sport for grades 2 and up. Easy to teach and play. All you need is a ball and tall cones for goals. Basketball skills are important. Exercise videos are excellent. Try many kinds. Tae Bo is good but you need room. Fitness Finders has great incentives for running. Feet and and little numbers to wear on necklaces for a running day. Our kids love it. Beach balls and volleyball nets are great. Scooter boards if you have a good hard surface. T ball for little kids and real softball (with a soft softball) for 3rd and up. I will be back soon.