How do you teach a combined 4/5 class?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Fairborn, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

I'm being considered for a combined 4/5 class. HUH? How does one coordinate two grades in one class? The only research I can find states that I must have outstanding, self-directed students and that the teacher time is intense. The teacher must be extremely organized. I can be organized, but I don't think I will have a whole lot of self-directed students in this school.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

Combine as much as you can... Many Language Arts activities can be done with both grade levels... writing, reading (guided or otherwise)... word work... if you do spelling, just have two separate lists.

With Math, try to keep them on the same general concept... so while the fours may be doing two-digit by two-digit multiplication, the fives may be doing five by two digit multiplication (or something)... this involves the same instructions, it's just that the grade fives have higher expectations.

Admittedly, it gets tricky when dealing with subjects like Social Studies and Science. I might be tempted to just choose to follow either the grade four or the grade five curriculum for either of these classes... I suppose it would depend on the units that are covered in grade four and five.

For instance, we're learning about soil in grade three... if I had a grade four class, they talk about rocks. I would combine the two units to cover bits and pieces of both units, since there is some overlap.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 5, 2009

Note: I deleted the other two threads with this title. You will get more consolidated responses if you keep it to one thread. Duplicate threads are prohibited, anyway. Thanks.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

I do combination class. I do exactly what the other poster mentioned.

Do reader's and writer's workshop. They work at their own level and you can have varied expectations if needed. One way I do it (with a 2/3 class) is I require their papers to have the same number of sentences as their age. I do this for reader's response journals, pen pal letters, any kind of assigned writing topic. It works for me! You can do the same for 4th/5th grade.

For math, I teach whole group concepts but alter is for each level. For example, right now we are doing place value. With the second graders, many are working on adding and subtracting two digit numbers, the third are doing 3 digit numbers. We are working on understanding through the hundreds or thousands, and the older/more advanced kids are working on ten-thousands. It works out pretty well. I teach small groups, but I actually do a lot of extension and repetition through games. I have one group playing games from the curriculum while the other group meets with me.

Look up "Beth Newingham" as her website pretty well describes how to do a math workshop.

For spelling I do one lesson with everyone from the third grade book at the beginning of the week. For example, we worked today on adding "ing" to magic e words. I did 4 letter words with the whole group (hike/hiking, make/making) and then worked with the class in small groups to go over other words. For example, my highest/oldest kids did words like complete/completing, exercise/exercising, etc. The rest of the kids then did words with blends and like smile/smiling, quote/quoting, trade/trading, etc. It works for me. They play games or work independently when they are not working with me in a small group.

For science and social studies, I teach whole group, but I am able to do that. If I wasn't able to do that, I would teach one unit exclusively (just science) for 3 weeks and then move into the social studies unit for 3 weeks. I would alternate by grade level throughout the year. I would integrate writing and reading as much as possible to cover any necessary units.

Hope that's helpful!

6. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Oct 6, 2009

Thanks Upsadaisy. Sorry! I ha dlooked for other posts, but I didn't see anything quickly. Many thanks.

7. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Oct 6, 2009

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.